| Friday Coverage is below | Saturday Coverage is now on Page 1 | Preview Night & Day One Coverage
With a lot of the Mattel and Hasbro stuff mostly wrapped up, I’ve heard the various opinions that this SDCC was invigorating or depressing. Speaking for myself, and remember Armchair Coverage leaves me in a sleep-deprived stupor, I think today was spectacular. If you’re a frequent visitor of this site, you have no doubt seen my love for the characters of DC Comics and the enjoyment that I get out of rediscovering Masters of the Universe. We try to cover as many corners of toydom as the small group of us here can, but those are the lines that we’re in love with right now. And I have to tell you that the two panels at Mattel today were fantastic in our eyes. If you don’t agree, we understand, but we’re particularly excited to kick off our Friday Coverage with all the great reveals from the two Mattel panels…
MOTU Classics: The MOTU panel completely bowled me over. I was put off by the “Preternia Disguise” He-Man (Strangor!) at first, but upon reflection he is the perfect silly/hardcore fan figure for the subscription. He’s even got some new tooling and the Cosmic Key! That’s pretty cool, silly or not! If you’re not familiar with this version of He-Man, Poe’s got you covered. I was most impressed by Vikor. I was skeptical of him when the list was leaked on Wednesday, but he looks great – if you want a super-articulated Conanesque figure, Vikor is for you. All together we saw nearly a dozen new figures and I really loved just about all of them. I question why I spend so much money on this line, but when I see the reveals I know that I love the line too much to drop it. You can check out ToyArk for great pics of the new MOTU Classics, but I’ll give a bullet point list of the reveals below.
But before I get to the list, there’s something else every MOTU fan needs to see. If you check out this FanEx thread with images from Fantastic Exclusive Forums member Izdawiz, you’ll see cool toys, hot women, great costumes, and a MOTU Classics Scale Battle Ram. Yeah, you read that right. The Battle Ram. It’s a work of art too. There’s no other way to describe it. You can find a couple more pics at FanEx and some at the Org (courtesy of member Prometheus), but don’t get too excited. If you read through the FanEx thread, the 4H speak out about the Battle Ram:
That’s ours. We created that to present to Mattel just to see what the possibilities of doing a vehicle might be. Like it? Let Mattel know & you may get it!
Now we know the 4H made a vehicle. A we know Mattel is going to release a vehicle next year. But will it be this one? I doubt Mattel would let the 4H show it off if that were case. Either way, we probably won’t know what the vehicle is until SDCC 2011. There’s one thing that this reveal assures us though – whatever the MOTUC is, it’s gonna be awesome.
Here’s the list of MOTU items shown at the panel by their release date:
- October – Roboto (gears will work when he moves) with attachments.
- October – 2nd Weapons Pak, Mer-man acc in gold, Evil Lyn in purple, Whiplash & Optikk acc in new colors, green perch & armor for Zoar, Roboto stuff in Trap Jaw colors, new power sword, and Faker weapons!!! (Finally…!!!)
- November – Grizzlor (loincloth is removable)
- November – Armybuilder 2pk is Royal Guards. Ton of stuff. 4 heads (black, white, snakehead, cathead), 2 mouth guards, 4 swappable chest plates (battle armor damage), 2 shields, 2 axes, 2 clubs.
- November – King Grayskull reissue. Red cape, metallic chest plate, sword, shield, sword fading to translucent blue, and a blue orb.
- December – Buzz-Off. Includes helmet and classic and 200x axes. Wings look fantastic – just like I remember.
- January – Bow. 2 heads (to ‘stache or not to ‘stache). Heart on the armor, but can be swapped out with a red circle. Includes bow, arrow, and harp.
- January –Shadow Beast (Gygor body, includes club)
- February – Vikor, He-Man to the North. He looks awesome and looks to include a new sword, shield, and axe. And maybe the blue power sword again? Not sure on the last one.
- February – Battle Armor Skeletor! The figure is shown with a purple sword, but in the panel TG said we’d be getting the PURPLE AXE!! YES!!
- March – King Hsss. Vintage look. I love his head sculpt, he looks like he knows something you don’t – that his torso can be swapped out with deadly snakes! Includes shield and snake staff.
- Subscription Figure – Preternian Disguise He-Man! Includes Cosmic Key and Etherian Map. I admit, at first, I thought this was lame. But I’m loving it today.
- Non-Subscription Pieces – Monthly Reissues, Grayskull Stands Q1, Small Dioramas in Q2, SDCC Item in Q3, AND First Vehicle in 2011 Q4. (My wallet just ran off to Canada…)
- Sneak Peak of Grayskull weapons rack.
- Six DC/MOTU 2pks coming up. First two shown are Aquaman/Mer-Man (comic colors on Mer-Man) and Hawkman & Stratos (Stratos wing and jetpack colors are reversed).
In other news, the whites beat the pinks 2 to 1 in regards to Swift Wind. Oh, and I fear for the welfare of the Palace Guard… AFI let us know that the head sculpt for him is based on Toy Guru himself! Be kind to your Palace Guard folks!
Mattel / DC Universe: If you follow the rumors, you knew just about every single DCUC figure that Mattel was going to show in the DC Panel today. The DCUC16 lineup was confirmed to be Azbats, Riddler, Mercury (w/ scissor hand), Jonah Hex, Creeper, & Robin (w/ variant Sprang head) with a C&C Bane. Click here for pics from the booth via ToyArk.Com. I’m not totally sure about that Creeper head and I wish Mercury were metallic (I understand why he’s not), but I am ecstatic about the straight-out-of-Super-Powers Robin & the jumpsuit Riddler in particular. This should be a fun wave to pick up.
Yes, fellow DCUC collectors, the name “Green Lantern Classics” can finally be said aloud. The lineup is indeed the rumored list of Kyle Rayner, Black Hand, Sinestro Corps Mongul, Manhunter w/ a big square battery!, Low/Maash, & Black Lantern Abin Sur. C&C is Arkillo. ToyArk has some great pics. I love almost every figure, but that Arkillo just doesn’t look right. I know he wasn’t consistently portrayed by all the artists, but the DC Direct head is how I think Arkillo looks. I’ll keep an eye out for some other angles, that could help.
Also of note, it looks like Low & Maash (the two Sinestro Corps members) will be one figure with swappable heads and limbs. Guess I get to buy two? Okay? Mattel also let it be known that the Wave 2 C&C is a Red Lantern created by the Four Horsemen and named by Geoff Johns. I have mixed feelings about that. I KNOW it will be awesome, but there are already some Red Lanterns I’d like to see as C&Cs. And this really begs the question – why aren’t the 4H allowed to make their own MOTU character??? C’mon!!! Mattel also revealed a 2pk of Hal Jordan (yes, ANOTHER one…) in a classic metallic deco and a corrected height Sinestro. This will be at TRU. Finally, Ch’p is the sneak peak figure visible (from behind) here at TNI.
In the last bit of DCUC news, a Legion 12pk (Read that again 12pk) will be on Mattycollector. The giant pack will include Superboy, Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, Matter-Eater Lad, Chameleon Boy, Brainiac 5, Ultra Boy, Karate Kid, Wildifre, Timber Wolf, & Colossal Boy C&C. I want all these, but WHERE ARE THE GIRLS? In a packout like this, Mattel could have done a better job of representing the Legion. The pack is said to cost around the equivalent of $15 a figure (that’s still gonna hurt). It will also include Legion ring and Proty!!! (I will covet my DCUC Proty. It could be the best 4H sculpt ever.) Click here for pics from the booth via ToyArk.Com. Check out Matter Eater Lad in particular! I love his head sculpt.
Six more DC/MOTU 2pks will be coming to TRU over the next year. The first two, shown today, are Aquaman/Mer-Man (comic colors on Mer-Man) and Hawkman & Stratos (Stratos wing and jetpack colors are reversed).
New Retro Heroes: Wave 3 – Wonder Woman, Cheetah, Captain Cold, Flash. Wave 4 – Captain Marvel, Black Adam, Martian Manhunter, Darkseid. Sinestro Corps Sinestro and Guy Gardner 2pk. For Retro pics, check out the middle of this page of Mattel/DC Panel coverage at AFI. Check out the pics of the Imaginext toys while you’re there. That line is getting a space heroes playset repainted to be OA! That’s awesome!
Action League squashdowns will expand to the full DCU. Too many to list, but they look awesome. I love the Bizarro with the giant chunk of Kryptonite, Atrocitus!!!, and Firestorm vs. Black Lantern Firestorm. Too cool. Here are pics from the booth via Toy Ark.
JLU will be back in 2011 – Toyman, Killer Frost, Angle Man, Adam Strange, Animal Man, Prince Gavyn (blue), Warlord, Deimos, Blue Beetle II, Fire (clear green-cool!), GA Flash, GA GL, GA Hawkman all in various 3pks with usual reissues. (If Angle Man (in 2pk with Firestorm & Killer Frost) had been Multiplex, I’d be in hog heaven.)There will be singles too, all appeared to be reissues. Mattycollector will have $25 2pks. First two: Braniac-Darkseid & Kalibak and an armybuilder 2pk of Parademons. AFi has a short video of the JLU portion for your viewing pleasure. You JLU fans crack me up! Here’s pics from the booth via Toy Ark.
Ghostbusters: I wouldn’t say I was underwhelmed by Ghostbusters, but the line just doesn’t seem to be going in a direction that I preferred. This is fine because I hopped off that train. I still like a lot of the figures I saw today – but Mattel debuted six figures and ONE comes with a ghost? C’mon… The figures are including proton streams now which is cool, but how will the figures I already have get those? And I like the GB stands, but the same problem applies. Where’s the stand 4pk? The figures still look pretty good, you can see them in Toyark’s Ghostbusters gallery. Here’s the breakdown:
- TRU exclusive GBII 4pk will be packed 50/50 with hats and without.
- September – “clean” Egon with PKE meter and a stack of books. (No ghosts?)
- November – “clean” Peter with “proton stream” (grr..) and GITD base (Where are the ghosts?)
- January – Winston with Slime blower and tri-pod trap.
- March – Courtroom Peter with Nunzio Scoleri (A GHOST!!!).
- May – Lewis Tully w/ multiple heads, messed hair, dog head, etc.
- Ecto Subscription figure is Marshmallow Ray.
- 12″ 2pk of Winston and either Peter or Ray. I’m not sure – the panels said Peter, but the uniform is Ray’s. Either way there’s a ton of accessories: two uniforms, slime blower proton packs, the dancing toaster, a tape deck, and more…
For video of the Ghostbusters reveals, hit up AFI.
FOUR HORSEMEN: Today, Battlegrip.com brings us some FANtastic shots of Symbiotech from the 4H booth. And if the Battle Ram wasn’t enough to get you to head over to the FanEx Forums… Go now there are 4H product images there as well…
Marvel: Head over to ToyArk.com to see a few new Marvel Universe figures. It looks like Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Woman, Doc Samson, and Goliath found their way into the display.
Iron Man 2: Articulated Discussion hit up the Iron Man booth on Friday. I didn’t see new pics, but all those little Iron Men continue to amaze me. I want to bring them all home, but Matty stole my wallet…
WWE: I don’t know the first thing about wrestling toys. They look cool, but if I got into everything that looked cool, I wouldn’t have time to sleep, eat, blog. But luckily, AFP has you covered. They have video from Mattel’s WWE Panel as well as a great gallery of pics from the booth.
Shocker Toys: Articulated Discussion takes a look on the Shocker Booth at SDCC. I’ve yet to pick up any Shocker Toys, but the character selection is getting too good to ignore.
Hallmark: I know it’s not toys, but I’ve met few people who didn’t like to look at Hallmark ornaments! Michael Crawford gives us the hookup on these Christmas offerings. The Star Trek ones are usually my favorite…
On the subject of Star Trek: Michael Crawford also has a gallery up from a company called Roddenbery Replicas. This stuff is probably out my price range, but it all looks so cool. Especially the TNG tricorder.
Around the Convention: Our friends over at Articulated Discussion have Dr. Nightmare & Wes at the convention beaming back pics. And he’s doing a great service – among other things, he’s sending along atmosphere and attendee pics. I love those because we can’t look at toys forever can we? Don’t answer that! Here are the good Dr’s galleries for Thursday in general, cosplayers on Friday, and a look at the swag they’ve hauled in so far.
Special thanks go out to the great sites beaming back or providing coverage from SDCC: ActionFigureInsider, ActionFigurePics, Articulated Discussion, BattleGrip, Cool Toy Review, CriticalMess.Net, Hiss Tank, Izdawiz from the Fantastic Exclusive Boards, Jedi Temple Archives, Marvelous News, Mattel on Facebook, MWCToys, Open Your Toys, Pixel Dan, Poe Ghostal, Raving Toy Maniac, TFW2005, Toynewsi, & ToyArk.