It may have been a normal weekend at work for yours truly, but this was a big weekend for Masters of the Universe & Thundercats. While I was toiling away, many more fortunate, better planning, or more geographically gifted fans gathered together for the first ever PowerCon & ThunderCon in LA.
While there were tons of great panels & VIPS, we here at IAT were naturally more fixated on toy news. Bandai did not attend ThunderCon, so it appears there’s no news on the Thundercats side of things, however, Mattel more than made up for it at their panel with these reveals:
- Stinkor (Club Figure) – Uses the Beast Man, furry buck and includes two heads (one new and one repainted Mer-Man head), his classic shield, a new gas gun, and the MO2K tanks. He will stink (Patchouli if memory serves?).
- Griffen (Quarter 2 Beast) – The MO2K Evil Warrior’s ride of choice. Shares some parts with Battle Cat and wings with Swift Wind, but is a great example of smart reuse.
- Snake Mountain Stands (Non-Subscription) – The 2012 stands are based on Snake Mountain and feature jagged rocks and a lava pool.
- Slushhead (Club Figure) – A great update of the NA villain. His “dome helmet” will be removable and can be filled with water.
- Mighty Spector (30th Anniversary #3) – Toy Guru’s contribution to the 30th Anniversary sub line. I’m looking forward to this bio – is he connected to our Lt. Spector in any way? In addition to the pics linked below, Spector has some additional weapons according to this post at the Org.
Fan Appreciation Convention Circuit Figure
- Temple of Darkness Sorceress – During 2011, Mattel sold three JLU 3pks during their Fan Appreciation Convention Tour (SDCC is excluded because it has a unique exclusive). In 2012, they’re extending that program to MOTU with this white repaint of the January’s Sorceress figure as seen in the Temple of Darkness Mini-Comic. She’ll include a stand for the Orb of Grayskull. I’m not sure which conventions Mattel will attend in 2012, but this year they attended Wondercon, C2E2, NYCC, & PowerCon (This means I needs me a WonderCon Friend…).
For pics & coverage of the Mattel Convention – you can take your pick from Matt K’s Fwoosh Article or this gallery at TNI. Also, this thread at the Org has some pics mixed throughout from page 60 on, but I wanted to call special attention to this picture showcasing Shadow Weaver’s articulation. It’s pretty cool.
In addition to the new reveals, we also got a few tidbits on past releases:
- Draego-Man will only include his flaming sword. Mattel will look for other ways to release his other accessories.
- BG Evil Lyn & the Wind Raider are both new scheduled for December, the Wind Raider will be priced at $45.
- Thunder Punch He-Man was shown with a right fist and energy attachment.
- A ‘tease’ was added towards the end of the Con – a Golden Snake Ring accessory.
SpyMonkey Creations had a delicious exclusive for the show: the BludSaw of Carnage: Typhoon Tyrant Version. :: DROOL ::
Finally, we also got a handful of new Bios from the convention:
Sorceress – Heroic Guardian of Castle Grayskull, Real Name: Teela’na
Growing up in a small Eternian village, Teela’na helped defend her people from a Horde Scout ship that had discovered her planet on a magic locating mission. Recognized for her loyalty, courage and wisdom, the current aging Sorceress chose Teela’na to take up her title and defend Castle Grayskull’s secrets for the next generation. During her reign as Sorceress, Teela’na not only cast the spell to clone the Sword of He, she was also cloned herself by Skeletor, who desired a magic-wielding bride to pass on his legacy. With the help of Man-At-Arms, Teela’na saved the cloned child. And it was through her undying love and devotion to this baby girl that Teela’na gave her up to Man-At-Arms, awaiting the day when her daughter would become the new Sorceress and Guardian of Castle Grayskull’s secrets.
Temple of Darkness Sorceress – Heroic Guardian of Castle Grayskull, Real Name: Teela’na
To safeguard the Power of the Universe after their secret bargain with Trolla, Grayskull’s Elders transfused the power from the Sword of He into a giant orb, which they hid deep within the abyss below Castle Grayskull. There, Grayskull’s widow took up the lonely duty of Sorceress, guarding the castle to prevent the power from falling into the wrong hands. For five millennia, her students continued this role while the castle faded from memory into legend. At the end of the Great Unrest, a new Sorceress named Teela’na helped the remaining Elders combine their wisdom to tap into Eternia’s magical secrets with the orb, creating a new, unified force which would be called upon as the “Power of Grayskull” named for the castle which hid it.
Star Sisters: Jewelstar – Hidden Beauty, Real Name: Devena; Starla – Bright and Beautiful Leader, Real Name: Gemma; Tallstar – Lovely Lookout , Real Name: Cassandra
In ancient times, an evil sorceress became jealous of the Star Sisters’ youth and beauty and trapped them in a shooting star. It was sent hurling through the cosmos until the three women crash-landed on Etheria. There, they remained magically confined in the side of a mountain until the day Swiftwind’s hooves accidentally loosened the stone that concealed the prison. She-Ra quickly used her powers to melt away the star that held them captive. In gratitude, the sisters pledged their everlasting friendship. Jewelstar magically conjures gem armor to protect herself and others. Tallstar uses her magic to stretch to unbelievable heights. Starla with her pet Glorybird, can sense danger and project spells of light against her foes. Together, they stand side-by-side with She-Ra in the battle for freedom.
Fearless Photog – Heroic Master of Cameras, Real Name: Jey
Apprentice to Gwildor, Jey often daydreamed of life as a member of the Masters of the Universe. His dreams became a reality when he was selected along with five other inventors by the Science Council to journey to Eternos to present his latest creation: The Photog Emulator. During the presentation, a slight miscalculation led to a flux overload merging Jey with his invention. Finding he could drain his enemies’ powers and display their defeat on his chest, Jey called himself the Fearless Photog and was offered membership with his idols in the Masters of the Universe. He heroically fought during the Second Ultimate Battleground helping to defeat several of Skeletor’s warriors including Clawful and Whiplash. Photog drains his enemies’ power, displaying their defeat for all to see!
These bios have been added to our Sortable / Searchable MOTUC Bio Index!
Finally, the Four Horsemen held a Panel at the convention and made some guests appearances, but I haven’t run across too much news on that front. This is particularly troubling, because I did hear there was some artwork shown for MO2K versions of Dragstor and the infamous Horde-Buster Armor He-Man. I have to see those and I’d like to know if any other interesting tidbits rolled out from the Fab Four. If you know of some pics or a link that has more information about the MO2K designs or any other interesting news that sprang from panel, let us know in the comments section.