Collectors' Choice 2016

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Collectors' Choice 2016

Postby dayraven » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Mr Spock wrote:Pass.

No more cost reduced action figures at premium prices for me.

not in an effort to dissuade you, but did you notice that the price dropped this year? i'm still very curious as to how they worked that out, because the figures shown seem to be par for the line in terms of paint and accessories... it's not a curiosity that led me to sub either, but i'm baffled how the per figure cost dropped... my fear is, it will end up being QC that takes the hit.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Mr Spock » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:46 pm

I'm sure the reduced price was strictly a sub lure. There will be cost reductions for sure along with the usual QC issues as always.
Rule #1: Don't believe anything Scott Nietlich says... ever.

Rule #2: First learn rule #1
Mr Spock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:52 pm

To each their own. The abbreviated sub combined and decrease in price alleviate pressure on the wallet and combined with the selection of characters make 2016 a hit in my book. The only figure I can say I'm not at least 75% thrilled for is Darius, but I *AM* a New Adventures fan, so anything that bolsters the ranks of my NA collection is a plus in my book.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:02 am

Well, it remains to be seen. I'll find out when my figures start rolling in next year.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Mr Spock » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:07 am

Remains to be seen? No. It's a given. With their track record I can guaranty and bet my life that 2016 subbers are going to receive cost reduced, cheapened product. The price reduction is hardly significant so, not sure how it's easier on anyones wallet.

The problem is collectors don't care about quality and continue to buy this stuff anyway, setting a precedent for companies to produce crap - while other collectors who want more value for their money aren't getting it.

Oh and yeah, I'm sure they will pull a few fast ones like they did with the snake torso. They wouldn't be Mattel unless they really stuck it to the fans somehow, although some fans actually like getting reamed, which totally confuses me.
Rule #1: Don't believe anything Scott Nietlich says... ever.

Rule #2: First learn rule #1
Mr Spock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby dayraven » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:39 pm

depends on what you mean by "quality." clear figures notwithstanding, a motuc is a damned solid chunk of figure. he's not as well sculpted as a NECA figure, true, but a lot of theirs are less stable figures. motucs are stout compared to marvel legends figs too, much sturdier feeling and less prone to breakage and warp. so, if by quality, you mean sturdiness, i'd give a child a motuc (sans accessories for choking hazard) and think nothing of it, whereas there are lots of figures from NECA, hasbro, mezco, funko, that are pretty much adult only, and especially with funko, even that might not protect against breakages and shearing. personally, i want a masters line with better articulation and more detailed sculpting, but i know better than to ask that of motuc at this point, and i do of course have to admit that the likelihood exists that, were i given the motu line i'd like, it would have worse QC issues than we get from motuc.

if by quality you mean more paint aps and more POA, sure, motuc could be much better. it gets trounced by some larger companies, and many indie studios as well.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:09 am

You don't know all that for a fact, Spock. At this point, it is merely probable conjecture. Will they keep the cost down by using black plastic regrind? Probably, but not certain. Will there be quality control issues? Very likely. Every toy line has them. Will they make some bad decisions and/or have to make a compromise or three? If they follow past patterns, then it's a good bet, but not a certain one. With at most ten items per sub to work on, there's also a better chance they can take their time and get things right without having to rush things.

I -- and many others -- have always complained about the quality control issues to Mattel. We don't like getting reamed, but it happens sometimes. That's just life. As for whether the line will be a disaster or a success, unless you have a time machine, we'll just have to wait and see. I am somewhat sceptical, but I also have some hope, and I won't condemn until after the fact.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:08 pm

besides, several parties have expressed before that scott was doing some piss poor number crunching when it came to running motuc, and that we the customers got shafted for it. the price decrease, both per figure, and by virtue of the 6 piece sub, could very much be due to smarter negotiating for materials or labor, and so, may not in fact reflect any loss in sculpt, deco, function, or QC. again, if your feelings on motuc on the whole have soured, i totally get that. i don't see this sub as anything substantially new for the course of how this show has been done since day one though. different selection of characters, same motuc.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:37 am

yeah... i'm not sure what i'm missing here, but i don't see where the quality is going to decrease at all.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:30 am

Just bumping this up for visibility! ;-)

I'm enjoying a bit of catharsis after the "end" of MOTUC, just kind of taking pause and enjoying the line and all that it accomplished. I think it will go down as one of the best, most comprehensive action figure lines ever. It's got all the classic vintage figures, prototypes that never got sold, concept characters, new characters, etc. Not to mention play sets and vehicles. As someone who has been collecting the line since that very first He-Man & Beast Man in December 2008, it's been a very long road... maybe more like a roller coaster of highs and lows... but now that it's all over, I'd totally do it again in a heartbeat.

Classics went out on a much higher note that I expected. The Laser figures impressed me, and even Dare kinda felt like it brought some closure to the line, the "Next Generation" of MOTUC and Prahvus was easily one of my most anticipated 200x figures, so all-in-all, besides the expensive price tag, Dec 2015 was a great month for MOTUC!

So who's excited for Lord Masque?
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to MOTUClassics.Com