It's the Busness of toys

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: It's the Busness of toys

Postby Tekwych » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:51 am

Pawtucket, RI (February 10, 2014) -- Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) today reported financial results for the full-year and fourth quarter 2013. Net revenues for the full-year 2013 were $4.08 billion and flat with full-year 2012 revenues of $4.09 billion. Full-year 2013 net revenues include a favorable $3.7 million impact of foreign exchange.

Net earnings for the full-year 2013 were $286.2 million, or $2.17 per diluted share, versus $336.0 million, or $2.55 per diluted share, in 2012. 2013 net earnings include pre-tax charges of $36.7 million associated with restructuring, $7.0 million of related pension costs, $61.1 million associated with the settlement of a previously disclosed adverse arbitration award, $40.6 million of charges related to certain non-strategic brands as well as a $23.6 million favorable tax adjustment. Excluding these items, 2013 net earnings were $372.4 million, or $2.83 per diluted share.

Net earnings for the full-year 2012 were $336.0 million, or $2.55 per diluted share. Excluding pre-tax restructuring charges of $47.2 million, or $0.26 per diluted share, 2012 net earnings were $370.8 million, or $2.81 per diluted share.

For the fourth quarter 2013, the Company reported net revenues of $1.28 billion which were flat with $1.28 billion in 2012. Foreign exchange had a $2.3 million positive impact on revenues for the fourth quarter 2013.

The breakdown shows Girls toys up more than 20% but boys toys, with Marvel licenses in the lead, brought that number back into the Red.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:52 am

The Long Con - A great article about Business facts of the modern convention. Both Denver and Phoenix, among many others, are used as examples of the participation and finical numbers now existing in this industry.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:35 am

Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Possibly a step closer to getting a LEGO He-Man line!!!

Also I think Mattel is jealous of how Hasbro poised themselves as not just a toy company but a multimedia conglomerate.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:10 am

Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:30 pm

the key, i think, is to release print patterns for a small charge, kind of the itunes model... don't sell, sub-license.

sooner or later though, companies who produce plastic consumer goods are going to face the hammer of open source designs. lego will be but one industry utterly destroyed by cheap, convenient 3D printers for the home user.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Disney Interactive contracts, lays off 25 percent of workforce - Division responsible for $1.3 billion in losses in seven years

Staples is Shrinking, Radio Shack is Sinking - Staples closes 12% of stores, Radio Shack closes 20%
Think for a moment. On line shopping is becoming the norm. More money was spent online than in stores during the 2013 Black Friday weekend. People who do go to a brick and mortar store want to do as much shopping as possible in one stop. Malls, Outdoor shopping centers and linked shopping districts are becoming more popular while the stand alone store, in some cases even the Big Box stores, are losing ground.

Lammily doll - Average is Beautiful - I like this idea, and this figure. If only for the principle they are trying to represent I ask any who agree with me to show their support. This is a crowd sourced figure with backing levels starting at $1.00, $25.00 for a figure shipped to you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:13 pm

Everything is shrinking... the world is shrinking. The dynamics between businesses and consumers is changing and the role of the retailer is becoming obsolete. You could say, (pause for dramatic effect) "dead as disco".
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:51 am

I think the future of retail will be high end service oriented establishments and then collections of warehouse mall goods outlets.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:38 pm

We're already there, sort of. People tend to favor "Outlet Mall" shopping rather than going to department stores or traditional indoor malls. In the last decade at least half a dozen have popped up in the area.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion