It's the Busness of toys

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: It's the Busness of toys

Postby zedhatch » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:43 am

imagine how many iron man units they could have moved if tony had been seen in the movie signing one for some kid?

Well there was that sceane in IM2 where the kid was wearing the IM getup and IM came in and blasted the Drone. :-)

Still I see what you are saying there. The videogame idea is a valid one but I can see it getting out of hand very quickly with ad space for games that don't need it (Like an ipod ad in Red Dead Redemption or something, while funny at first thought, it could get pretty annoying very fast).

My imagination goes to games ending up being like a racing outfit with tons of ads (or worse think Idocracy with every day people wearing outfits like that, really we arn't far away from that anyway LOL).

But I do think there is a huge disconnect with toys and the intended audience (at least if you believe what the toy companies say) and that in the end it will do damage, how much is a big question.
Scale Wars an action figure photowebcoic updated Mon-Fri celebrating 3 years in May
zedhatch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:53 pm

McDonalds really does have something with the McRib… I can go months without so much as even thinking about one, but all I need to do is see an ad for it running on TV and all of a sudden I’m craving it like a crack fiend.

It’s all about creating that false demand --- like what Disney does with its classic films, they market it as “available for a limited time only”. They’re basically exploiting human nature though --- if you know you can have access to something any time you sort of forget about it --- like a Big Mac for instance. But if they were to all of a sudden say “Big Macs will be gone for good at the end of June”, I bet their sales would spike significantly.

I notice a lot of television shows that feature product placement are becoming rather tongue-in-cheek about it. Arrested Development actually filmed in a Burger King while Tobias and Carl Weathers were eating burgers. Tobias even remarked “It’s a wonderful place to eat!” Last night I was watching 30 Rock and Alec Baldwin and Salma Hayek were eating McFlurries and the episode ended with the two of them running into each other at a McDonalds.

You have to give kudos to the writers who are probably told by execs, “Listen, we have to include McFlurries in this episode --- make it happen. They’re being rather blatant about it, almost self referential (?) that they’re doing it --- but even still, we might have a chuckle, “Oh, those clever writers, they’re acknowledging that they know that we know that they are blatantly advertising this product”. Its funny, but at the end of the day they just sold McFlurries.

Also, just look at Daytime television. How do you think daytime serials got the name “Soaps” --- because the advertisers were targeting their prime demographic, which for a long time were stereotypically women. Stay-at-home parents, the retired, and unemployed will sure notice the trend on daytime TV --- how many ads do you see for lawyers or any type of technical schools where you can “get a career”.

I guess the whole point of that is advertisers want to target their demographics --- you don’t see an ad for “feminine hygiene products” during a show that is primarily seen by males ages 18-34. Same as you won’t see a commercial for Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition during The View.

These other companies do it --- so why not toy companies? I realize advertising is dollars and in the case of movie lines they’re banking on the movies themselves selling the toys, but that doesn’t always happen.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby zedhatch » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:24 am

One of the best tounge and cheek product placement jokes was Return of the kiler Tomatoes.

Half way through they run out of money and stop the movie. SO they come up with the idea of product placement and literally everything from that point on has product placement in it. at one point it even goes back to the big villians house (Seen other places in the movie) and it suddenly has a HUGE Pepsi sign in the front. It's serously hilarous.
Scale Wars an action figure photowebcoic updated Mon-Fri celebrating 3 years in May
zedhatch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Dorkey » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:21 am

PrfktTear wrote:These other companies do it --- so why not toy companies? I realize advertising is dollars and in the case of movie lines they’re banking on the movies themselves selling the toys, but that doesn’t always happen.

There was a TV drama in Japan about a woman who was trying to force herself into the position of her ex-lover's wife. In the show, she tried to gain the affections of her ex-lover's son by baiting him with an AssembleBorg figure. The first time that the figure was used, she had managed to get the boy into her house and she had told him "you can play with this AssembleBorg whenever you come to visit".

How's that for advertising toys on TV shows?
Save a tree, eat a beaver!
Dorkey
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby zedhatch » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:24 am

That just sounds very creepy.
zedhatch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Tekwych » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:26 pm

Goldman Sachs warns of toy industry slump:

Michael Kelter said: "The nominal amount spent on traditional toys/games in the US per capita is down 30 per cent from $85 per person to $60 per person since 1998, and the pace of the decline has accelerated to five per cent to ten per cent, year to date."
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby zedhatch » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:05 am

I should show that article to all those people who said I was nuts two years ago about the big two needed to change up how they did business or sales would drop, LOL.
zedhatch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:17 pm

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2012/11/ ... -fame?lite

i don't know if i personally care, but for those who might...
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:27 pm

I still remember when I was working at TRU and the Phantom Menace toys debuted.That was a frenzy.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Shouldn't an Episode 7 toy drop be as, if not more crazy? :eek:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

PreviousNext