Grayskull.Info: Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Grayskull.Info: Castle Grayskull Discussion Thread

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:27 pm

It's an idea that's time has come...

NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Grayskull

Postby dayraven » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:38 pm

man... that castle proposition is decision time, isn't it? talk about separating the men from the boys... 200 bucks for a toy that is essentially, bought sight unseen. ouch. but it's castle frickin grayskull in motuc scale! of course, didn't TG at one point say it would be like 400 to get the castle done? why is it now so cheap (by comparison)?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Re: Reveals from POWER-CON!!! (Grayskull and other Reveals)

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Definitely will be tough decision time vis a vis Grayskull.

That's only a little more than the terrific Icon Heroes version, and if we get the inside, the mat, AND it's gonna be as on model as possible to the Taylor prototype, I think I'll have to move my investment off the IH one, which will be rendered close but no cigar, especially if the 4H are on actual sculpting duties and not just the design.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby He-Mullet » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:17 am

The only real problem I have with this Grayskull "Experiment" is that TG has a LOUSY LOUSY LOUSY timing for his news... Not only MOTUC is overloaded from October to December, but now the $200 Grayskull pre-order makes it a bit too harsh on customers who have a smaller Toy Budget.

Part of me wonders, was this a Recent development post the 135% = failure? or was this older news that TG kept close to his chest during the "sub crisis"?

If it was the first, I don't understand how Management allowed it to happen. If it was the latter, that would've been a nice bomb to drop in order to boost sub numbers...

Now there's a third part of me wondering if this "experiment" is an excuse for us to "pay" for the tooling and them Mattel drops a Retail MOTUC-scaled line based on a cartoon or something reusing most of the MOTUC tooling. it's a bit of a dick move and i'm a bit ashamed of saying this, but I would do this IF I was a BM... on the other hand this would lend itself to release some versions of the main characters that would "clog the Adult collection with useless variants" (Filmation He-Man, 200x Skeletor, Roboto 2.0, etc.) Again, what do I know I'm just a silly customer!
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby DrRampageo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:03 pm

I don't care about price logistics or any of that stuff..Castle Freaking Grayskull!!!! Kind o makes me want to cancel me pr order of the Grayskull Statue that only stands 9 something inches now. If this is the last year of MOTUC we will at least go out with a bang!
http://doomkick.com/ Toy reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

What a terrible night to have a curse...
DrRampageo
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:18 pm

DrRampageo wrote:I don't care about price logistics or any of that stuff..Castle Freaking Grayskull!!!! Kind o makes me want to cancel me pr order of the Grayskull Statue that only stands 9 something inches now. If this is the last year of MOTUC we will at least go out with a bang!

yeah, this offering from mattel is going to kick icon heroes square in the mommy daddy button. oh well, they're a small, independent studio, what harm could a ton of cancelled pre-orders do to them? :roll:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby He-Mullet » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:01 am

I'll have to wait for Mattel to show what they've got planned with Grayskull so I can consider committing $200 for it.
I mean, I have the 200X Castle, which is pretty much what I use as my main MOTUC backdrop. It Fits on my shelves. It's not that thick, so it takes very little shelf space. They need to make me say the 200X Castle is a piece of starfruit and I MUST HAVE MOTUC GRAYSKULL!!
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:58 pm

At one point I was using the 200x Grayskull for a backdrop but truth-be-told, I never really much cared for the design. I only bought the thing because it was on clearance at KB (R.I.P.) and it was a price I could not refuse.

As a side note, I recently stumbled upon the new T-Cats lair on markdown for $11.00 --- if I had $11.00 to spend I very nearly would have bought it! Only $7.00 for Thunder Tank!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Castle Grayskull Thread

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:03 am

Well, gang, Castle Grayskull is up for pre-order, the thermometer already has what looks like a decent amount of red in it for such early days, and things are looking tickety-boo for bucking an industry trend and getting the corporate bastiches to make a huge playset for once.

But wait . . . !

Now, maybe I'm not the most observant person on the planet, nor the sharpest blade in the armoury, but did anyone else not notice the legalese bit on the pre-order page that says:

Minimum Production Goal: November 10, 2012 11:59 p.m. PT . . . If we don’t reach the minimum pre-order goal by November 10th, we can’t go forward.

Is it just me, or was that not there a couple of days ago? In my zeal for this set (and being distracted by my father going into the hospital for minor surgery), did I completely ignore it, or did some legal-fegal slime-mould slip it in there when I wasn't looking? And is it just me, or is anyone else enraged that the cutoff date has been moved up by two months, leaving us less than a freaking month to meet the minimum pre-order requirement?

Now, from a production perspective, I can actually understand the need for such a long lead-in time for such an item. But to pull this kind of alleged trick, especially when other people are budgeting carefully for Christmas during a recession, smacks of someone trying to kill this project and turn around and say: "It's all your fault. We tried, but you didn't show enough interest, so you're never getting another chance at anything like this ever again. Logistics!"

I have already complained to MattyCollector via phone. Provided I'm justified in this rant (and I didn't just miss the boilerplate first time around and now I look like a complete git), is anyone from the influential collectors' sites ready to take up this quest to get the minimum sign-up deadline extended to the originally-stated January 3rd? For the record, I'd be willing to take delivery of Castle Grayskull a couple of months later than originally promised if it meant we were given enough time to meet the pre-order quota, and I think others would, too. Plus, getting a Castle Grayskull in February or March would be just the thing to lift the post-holiday blues. Just sayin'.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms . . . ?
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Re: Castle Grayskull Thread

Postby He-Mullet » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:59 am

I think that was there, and They WILL extend the deadline, IF the Goal is met before November 10... Which is a bit stupid IMO...
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to MOTUClassics.Com