The "Catch-(Mostly)-All" Toy Thread

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

The "Catch-(Mostly)-All" Toy Thread

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Let's talk about some of our favorite toys or figures, past or present.

I'll start with one random one that just popped into my head: the old Kenner Dagobah playset.

Used to love pouring water on the "swamp" represented by the sponge.
Was too much fun sending pretty much EVERYONE (even non-SW characters) to their doom.

Provided they fit, of course. [green]
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Re: The "Catch-(Mostly)-All" Toy Thread

Postby Ebonhorn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:33 pm

My two super powers batmans.....I saw the JC Penny's catalog had two batman in their super powers scene so I convinced myself I needed two....So my father got me a second one which we marked the bottom of the foot of. Batman 2 was always used as the decoy, Batman 1 never put himself into a dangerous situation unless it was necessary...
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:29 pm

The what now? [grin]

I liked Gobots as a kid. I never did get that blue Leader-1. I saw it at Skaggs once, but I could not convey the need to the adults. [smile]
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby manekochan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:19 pm

I liked those buckets of army men and the animals and stuff. I also had some random collection of glass dogs that I drug out and played with a lot. I was more of a stuffed animal kid.
I did have the care bear toys like this one:
I also had some MyLittlePony toys.
I played with other kids' toys. Mostly, I liked Battlecat, the yellow and green Voltron lions, and Grimlok.
Brock: Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean: It's weird, right?
Brock: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Ebon, you may have a record there on convincing your dad to get you two of the same figure.

Noisy, I think my brother had a couple of Go-Bots, I never did get too much into 'em.
I should look for a photo archive of them.

Manek, ha that's cute.
I didn't know there were non-bear Care Bears.

On My Little Ponies, these are the awesomest ones I've seen:
http://www.marikasurinen.com/sculptures_main.html

And reading Voltron lions and Battle Cat together made me imagine a Voltron made up of Battle Cat, Panthor, Clawdeen, and let's see, who else? Stridor and Night Stalker maybe? :lol:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:58 pm

I had this awesome Voltron that was made up of like 30 pieces. It wasn't lions, but little vehicles. I loved it. I think about replacing it now and again.

I enjoyed MASK as a kid too.

A lot of my toy memories involve being at the stores more than the toys.

-I would kill for a vintage shot of an 80s Sears toy aisle.
-There was an awesome toy shop in the mall that's a bead store now.
-Mister C's is a discount home funishings place. They had leftover toys. So many I'll never know the name of (or even remember).
-Seeing the Flagg for $60 at Wal-Mart
-Going on a trip with my Dad for Optimus Prime (and failing, but getting Tracks instead)

I have a ton emore, but five is good.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Ebonhorn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:05 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:Ebon, you may have a record there on convincing your dad to get you two of the same figure.

that's the only one I remember...did I mention another one somewhere and now I've forgotten it...

Also I remember the day I got optimus prime. I went my grandfather to a local amusement park and on the way to his place there was a toy store like 30 feet away so we stopped and I got optimus prime. I also remember going to Sav-Co drugstore cause they had the best transformer selection. This was all before TRU and Children's Palace moved in.

I remember getting armored cobra commander when I was six. My mom was off work so she woke me up that monday and asked if I wanted to go to school. I of course said no, my brother said yes. So we dropped him off then I spent the day with my mom. We went to walmart that day and the new joes had just been put out and Instantly grabbed this crazy cobra commander in this strange new look. Opened it right there in the store, yep before I even checked out. I carried him around in my jacket for the rest of the day. Even while I was eating at panchos...I still had a hand in my pocket playing with the commander....That day was awesome. I think I slept with him in my pocket.
Ebonhorn

Postby dayraven » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:55 pm

i loved the kenner swamp thing toys. i had the glow in the dark and arm on a string things along w/ skinman, doctor deemo and anton arcane, along w/ the swamp buggie and the tranducer playset... the transducer is still w/ me,. and is the centerpiece of mr sinister's planned devolution set-up in the dio-room-a. i still have deemo, though his mutant mask is long gone, and i have skinman, who was altered w/ GitD paint on the eyeballs, and he's one of the most potent wizards in the Council of Wizards. the swampies and anton went to the son of a gal my dad was dating for a while. the kid was, to be nice, disadvantaged, economically. and needless to say, the first time i got saddled watching him, despite my teenage apathy, i couldn't get over how excited he was peeping only a portion of my collection at the time. so i hit him up w/ a few figs i didn't need. i still regret not having the figs, as i loved them, but i bet they meant more to him overall than they would have to me. exccept maybe for granite, my sole rock lord, who i loved, but he was particularly taken w/ that fig, so he got it.
Last edited by dayraven on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:22 pm

DR it's stuff like that is what we need more of in the toy collecting world...others seeing the joy in giving something to someone else...
Ebonhorn

Postby dayraven » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:28 pm

thanks ebbie. it wasn't a big deal, but he always seemed so impressed by my figure collection that i couldn't send the kid home time after time w/out some of that fun to take home. i didn't realize until a little later that i basically gave him the only toys he had. it does make me feel good, once in a while, to help one of the humans. [grin]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Next

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion