MOTUC 2012 SDCC Exclusives

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

MOTUC 2012 SDCC Exclusives

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm

So Matty just dropped their '12 SDCC exclusive previews...
toynewsi.com/index.php?itemid=18628

Masters of the Universe Vykron ($30)

If clothes make the He-Man, then this pitch prototype for the 1982 lineup is destined to be the star of the MOTU 30th Anniversary celebration thanks to a choice of three outfits: barbarian, spaceman, and military warrior! You’ll get him in-package dressed as a barbarian only at SDCC , but you can find him here at MattyCollector.com after the show packed as a spaceman or military warrior (all three outfits are included regardless of where he’s purchased). Want to know more about this multi-purpose warrior? Set includes one “buck,” or figure, with three different outfits/helmets to interchange between space, military and barbarian looks. Check back for the history of Vykron, soon to be disclosed…
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Re: MOTUC 2012 SDCC Exclusives

Postby Bigbot84 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm going to be passing on these. I understand the history behind them, but I just don't care for these designs.

With the way Stay Puft and Swamp Thing were received, it really seems like Mattel really scaled back their exclusive this year.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:05 pm

I actually kinda dig it. At first blush I was like "WTF?!" but I think its just kitschy/goofy and over the top to make a great nod to Classic MOTU. I love the sculpt on the face too.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby He-Mullet » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:40 pm

I see some customizing potential... The bracers look a bit like 200X He-Man's... The gloved hands could work for a 200X Adam... I need to see how the head works and if it is compatible with He-Man's hair... (Non-He-Man head Wun-Dar custom!)
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Ehhh, yeah I don't know.
I like the continued mining of historical stuff, but these are off the mark for me.

The barbarian one in particular is a big let-down, way too clean-looking, and really comes off looking like a guy dressed up, cosplay style. Also, where's the faux fur? Too bad. This "character" has gone from Genghis Khan to confused-looking, post-wild-party-he-doesn't-remember miner. What could've been an awesome partner in crime for Vikor is now an easy pass. I do like that axe . . .

The tank guy looks like there's some really nice detail work on the armor bits, but I wish they had adapted this more into the MotUniverse and done an approximation of Earth military tanks instead of just cloning the details and design of the prototype. At least some Eternian symbology in place of the stars would've been nice. And I don't like how the "head" has been modified to look even more like a face. Just comes off too silly.

And I know Boba Fett's helm can't be used, but why'd they have to design one with the face showing through? Surely Boba doesn't have a monopoly on cool closed faceplace helmets. And the armor parts need way more detail on this one. Looks like he made his costume out of construction paper.

I love the 4H, but these are a miss.
They somehow managed to make these even goofier-looking than the prototypes. :moresad:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby dayraven » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:40 pm

wow... just, wow... there are one or two things i like on each of the looks, but come on... the space guy's MASSIVE codpiece, who thought that was a good idea? the smiling cannon face, who thought that was a good idea? the mothersbaughian barbarian helmet, who thought that was a good idea?

i almost, almost wonder if the in-house team did this on their own... cuz man, if the horsemen did this, even under direction, they just lost some respect from where i sit.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:11 pm

I was trying to find a pic online of Sweet's original prototypes, but I did find this .org thread with Emiliano's drawings of these guys:
http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/sho ... oger-Sweet

Not that great either, to be honest. Maybe those designs just weren't meant to be, and there's a reason they got scrapped in favor of the true He-Man design that led the line into history.
Lay Ze-Man

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Lay Ze-Man

Postby PrfktTear » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 am

Are they goofy? Hell yes. Is everyone going to want them? No. That makes them great exclusives. Would I prefer a Ram-Man or Mod-u-Lok over this? Hell yes. But making highly sought after characters as an SDCC exclusive would be second only to making them Matty Sub exclusives.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:21 am

My beef isn't the choice (the IDEA is a great exclusive) but in the execution.
Lay Ze-Man

Next

Return to MOTUClassics.Com