Aural Onslaught (the Music Thread)

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Aural Onslaught (the Music Thread)

Postby dayraven » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:18 pm

i love it when you get all introspective. [smile]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:38 pm

got thinking this evening about a little music rant that bugs the starfruit out of me, and figured i'd share w/ y'all.

you know what really chafes my ass? metallica "fans" who started their collection w/ the black album, but then haveto balls to call them sellouts over load and reload. the great bands all try different sounds over the course of their career, and some of those sounds are successful, and some aren't. load and reload both managed to cram a few really good songs on to each album, along w/ some god awful schieze. but guess what... if you're a REAL metallica fan, the change in sound started at the black album, which was the most commercially successful in part due to it's watered down tempos, emphasis on meoldy and more radio friendly run times. but none of that matters, because it still rocked. it was still metal and damned good metal by a fantastic band. i was not a huge fan of S&M, as i think kamen was trying to keep up w/ the band, when he should have been complimenting them w/ the orchestra, but i still buy their albums cuz they're insane metal gods and deserve all the proprs one can possibly bestow upon them. they're metallica, and at their worst, i'd trade that CD for the entire sugar ray catalog.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:54 pm

so, while doing some unpacking & cooking today, i put the old tunes on, and one of the great emotional standouts for me that came up was "god shuffled his feet" by the crash test dummies. the whole album is good, but i'm talking about the title track. i just love that song, and think it's exactly indicative of what i find so vexing about religion. it focuses on entirely the wrong things. you don't need focus, you need to sit back and lose focus. it's easy to forget that as a species, we're still thumbsucking, metaphorically.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:56 pm

I have to admit, I wasn't very familiar with Metallica until the Black Album. I bought Load and Re-Load, those have some solid tracks on there. I even bought S&M because I liked what they were trying to do. I agree about Kamen and the orchestra though, rather than trying to compete with the band they should have complimented it.

You have to respect any artist for growing and evolving. You can't expect them to play the same kind of music all their life, unless its James Taylor or Randy Newman, of course. I'm a huge fan of Smashing Pumpkins and while I really can't get into a lot of Billy's newer stuff I still respect him for going out and doing what he does.

I haven't really been listening to anything specific as of late. Thrown in Portishead's Third a few times. Death Proof soundtrack is my favorite driving & smoking album --- I'm going to see Mindless Self Indulgence with Morningwood on Saturday so at some point I'm going to throw their cds in to refresh myself.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:10 am

PrfktTear wrote:I have to admit, I wasn't very familiar with Metallica until the Black Album. I bought Load and Re-Load, those have some solid tracks on there. I even bought S&M because I liked what they were trying to do. I agree about Kamen and the orchestra though, rather than trying to compete with the band they should have complimented it.

You have to respect any artist for growing and evolving. You can't expect them to play the same kind of music all their life, unless its James Taylor or Randy Newman, of course. I'm a huge fan of Smashing Pumpkins and while I really can't get into a lot of Billy's newer stuff I still respect him for going out and doing what he does.

I haven't really been listening to anything specific as of late. Thrown in Portishead's Third a few times. Death Proof soundtrack is my favorite driving & smoking album --- I'm going to see Mindless Self Indulgence with Morningwood on Saturday so at some point I'm going to throw their cds in to refresh myself.

oh man... driving and smoking... don't get me started. LOTS of albums there. i have since quit, but man, back in the day, that was my favorite place to smoke, the car. i had a good friend of mine pick me up for work one morning and as i'm stepping off my porch, he blares "slow chemical" by finger eleven, the song that for several years was kane's entrance music. i immediately whip out my pack and blaze up a camel wide, just so i can exhale a big blue cloud of smoke on the next step down, in time w/ the music, and begin a whole entrance package. it was a hilarious way to start the day. i always loved smoking during the blues, but then, anything by the prodigy got me smoking too. and led zep. and anytime turn the page comes on, by anyone.

man, and there's were so many smoking movies too... the blade franchise, i tried to smoke one every time whistler pulled out a cig, and let me tell you, that's an irresponsible amount of smokes. but worth the try. of course, coffee and cigarettes is best enjoyed over coffee and cigarettes. the boondock saints required much drinking and smoking. get carter was another one, how can you not smoke during get carter? i get drooling every time i see that movie now. (i'm talking the original, not that atrocious stallone abortion)
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 am

yeah, i'm on a temporary relapse. i quit cold turkey last August/Sept-ish but it got the better of me. its unfortunate that driving and smoking go hand in hand --- but well, normally i'm alone, you have nothing else to do, and all you have to do is roll down the window...

i guess when you do smoke every song/album is a smoking one. but there are a few that really seem to evoke certain sense or feelings i guess. definitely agree about Led Zep, or almost any classic rock... Floyd, Cash, etc.

i like the prodigy, but they're one of those bands i've never really gotten into.

love boondock saints. watched it for the first time on st. patrick's day about a decade ago. i didn't make it all the way through because we were playing drinking games doing shots of jameson. second time i tried to watch it same thing --- so third time i made sure watched sober!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby SilntAngl5 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Randomly popping in here. Has anyone seen this yet?

It's a cover for Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" and, honestly, I think it's way better. Sorry fi you've already mashed this one to pieces... it's in my head and I needed to let it out. :)
"EVERYONE DESERVES THE CHANCE TO FLY!"Image
SilntAngl5
Captain Mrs. Admirastrator
Captain Mrs. Admirastrator

Postby Bigbot84 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:28 am

I don't have any suggestions for some good wedding reception songs, but I wanted to come in here and say that Megadeth rules. That is all.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby dayraven » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:38 am

SilntAngl5 wrote:Randomly popping in here. Has anyone seen this yet?

It's a cover for Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" and, honestly, I think it's way better. Sorry fi you've already mashed this one to pieces... it's in my head and I needed to let it out. :)

that song is totally addictive... like therapeutic, but then also just really catchy. had i the soul of a poet, that's how i'd ultimately deal w/ my ex's, rather than calling them scabrous whores and storming out of the room. (which historically, is my usual M.O.)

this version is pretty cool, though very similar. the music's a bit more layered.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Lianne La Havas

I am loving this young lady, Writes her own material, plays lead or rhythm guitar on each track and when preforming live and can drop back and sing a cappella with a power that no Disney star could ever command. Her appearance at iTuns festival in 2012 was, for me, a highlight of the 60 band festival. A recording of the live concert is available through the iTunes store but her album, Is Your Love Big Enough?, while a bit raw, is a very solid freshman effort. (the new arrangements at iTunes festival show great growth and speak well for what will come in her sophomore effort. Highlights for me include Au Cinema, Age, They Could Be Wrong and Is Your Love Big Enough?. She is listed as alternative but she definitely has Jazz / R&B roots.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to The Green Room