Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby TSR » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:20 pm

NoisyDvL5 wrote:The only mark against Stay-Puft (and this may be a dealbreaker for you) is that he does take damage pretty easily, little impressions and creases if you're not careful with him. I didn't realize that my 12" GI Joe Marine's rifle was butting up against his back side and there's a permanent little pinhole where the rifle was. I'm happy with him as a display piece at the back of my top shelf, so I don't mind the fragile material (too much), but if that's going to bother you, than I'd say no.

Otherwise, I completely love him. He makes me positively giddy and it's completely about how huge he is. Staypuft can bitchslap Unicron and there's nothing he can do about it. It's just silly/dumb how big he is compared to everything else. I haven't been able to review him because I'm not setup for anything that massive.

I read this today and thought of you. Is yours alright?

http://www.infinitehollywood.com/2012/0 ... -2012.html

3. Stay Puft is turning yellow. Not just mine, but apparently everyone who has one. This doesn't appear to be a "small quantity" like the Green Goddess, but the overwhelming majority of folks who purchased them are reporting the figure's change in color. For some of us, we've only had this figure for a couple months as we purchsed during the October period to buy Stay Puft. Will Mattel be offering a similar refund program or replacement parts or something to compensate fans who paid a high end collectible price for something that has seriously degraded in value by no fault of the collectors.

We are looking into this with CPI but at this time are not offering refunds. We will continue to investigate however!
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:35 pm

I haven't noticed any issues with my Stay Puft. Granted I haven't pulled him down and looked him over proper, but from what I can see its fine. It does have some of the creases and whatnot that I've seen people mention.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:19 pm

TSR wrote:I read this today and thought of you. Is yours alright?

He's mostly okay, maybe some yellowing around the seams - it's hard to tell. I've been more disappointed about how much damage he takes. He's got a spot where the ribbing from the cardboard (in the package) is imprinted on him, he's got a spot on his butt where he was pushing up against the wall and the bumpy surface has given him a cratery surface. Then various other stabs here and there when he's moved or bumped next to another figure. I enjoy having him for his size, but definitely not worth the $70.

The folks at Mattel blew it on this year's SDCC offerings by overthinking it. A giant rotocast Stay-Puft and a normal Swamp Thing would've been much more appreciated...

Also, I love that Mattel's department for handling this situation has the initials "Can't Prove It!"
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Agreed on overthinking the SDCC's, and I'd add Marlena to that list too.
A fully-sculpted dress only Marlena (like Shadow Weaver) would've gone over much better.
The Space version could've been a quarterly bonus down the road.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:58 pm

I like Stay Puft, but I'm glad I didn't spend $70 for him --- I bought him off a friend for $45. The squishee material is better suited for stress relief balls and swag you get at job or college fairs.

I have to disagree about Marlena though. I think she was wonderfully executed. Being able to switch between Space Capt. and Queen really adds a lot of value to her. Not to mention the fact that she came with Cringer. You definitely got a lot more bang for your buck w/ her than you did Adam/Orko.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:12 pm

So here's some sad Ghostbuster news.

For some reason, Slimeblower Ray was in my car. I don't remember why because he's just been in the back seat behind a stack of books for months now and I haven't even cared to notice. :oops:

Also, while typing this I just realized I hadn't reviewed RTBY Venkman yet. He woulda been a good Saturday one. :razz:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:48 pm

So Matty released their 2012 SDCC Exclusives...

Surprise Surprise Surprise...Ghostbusters Dana as Zuul ($25)
“There is no Dana, only Zuul!” Our long-awaited 6” figure of Dana Barrett as Zuul from the first Ghostbusters™ features authentic, film-accurate sculpting right down to her golden gown. And, with two interchangeable lower bodies she can stand or, when she tires of waiting for the coming of Gozer, sit on the included bench display.

I think this is a pass for me. We'll see...
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:36 pm

To their credit, they found a way to charge $3 more for her. :lol:

She's a pass for me. So are all the DC offerings for the first time in nearly a decade! [wtf]
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby PrfktTear » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:48 am

I would be vaguely interested in Dana if she was $15 --- but since I haven't even opened my Vigo figure, one that I was highly anticipating since the line's inception --- NO.

I dig the Tiny Titans, but thats the kind of thing I'm looking to get away from spending money on.

The DC Death figure looks like a Barbie Doll.

I'm kind of glad they dialed back the exclusives this year --- especially after last year's decadence. Though I'm sure they'll have a few more surprises up their sleeve.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:25 pm

They just made Dana all that easier for me to skip and I doubt I'll be the only one. I think the casual interest for that line is pretty much dead. I await the 4th 2012 figure - I just hope it'll be something worthwhile, the line needs it.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion