Introduce Yourself

We've parceled out a special hitchin' post for trades and sales. Keep it in here, not in the other forums, and keep it civil. We're a small operation.

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Tekwych » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:53 am

Bravestarr wrote:Bravestarr.

DC Comics, MOTU Classics, GI Joe and boobs....Anything else is of little interest to me.

One of these things is not like the others...

Comics are flat
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby jabalong » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Tekwych wrote:I could use a hand hold up the 1:18 standard against all these 6" hooligans.

3.75" all the way! Well except with the ladies, then bigger is better, no matter how you play. :lol:

I'm Jab. I'm into Marvel Universe these days, active mostly over at MarvelousNews and TheRumorBuster.

Got into this line about six months ago and after shamelessly making use of It'sAllTrue's great visual checklists for so long, I figured that it's about time I joined the forums to say thank you and hello.

Before MU, I've been into TV lines - first Mezco's South Park and Family Guy (both dead now), and more recently Toynami's Futurama (on life support). I've been quite active over on the toy threed at Peelified, but less so since getting into MU, and since Toynami's gone off the rails and can't seem to get any product out.

What else. I've got a Doctor Who project going on, going back and watching the whole show from the beginning - just finished the First Doctor. Also doing the same with DCAU, almost finished the Batman and Superman series from the 1990s.

That's about it, off to the MU thread now...
jabalong

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:09 am

Welcome to the boards!

I think that Marvel checklist needs a little updating if I recall... [sweat]

Watching Doctor Who all the way through sounds like it could be pretty cool! And I love the DCAU stuff... just thinking about it makes me want to whip out the DVDs!
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby jabalong » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:06 am

NoisyDvL5 wrote:Watching Doctor Who all the way through sounds like it could be pretty cool! And I love the DCAU stuff... just thinking about it makes me want to whip out the DVDs!

The Doctor Who one is fairly daunting, not the least of which because so many of the early seasons' episodes have been lost, so have to watch reconstructions (basically the audio track accompanied by photos and subtitles, or in some cases connecting narrations which is better).

It's interesting though, as you get to see the character and show as a whole take shape. I quite liked William Hartnell's First Doctor, and it kind of makes me wish the new show would try something different from the recent Doctors and cast an older guy again in the lead role. It's a different dynamic anyway.

As for DCAU, dust off those DVDs and watch 'em! It's amazing how well these shows have held up, considering it's almost 20 years since Batman The Animated Series launched. The fact that visually these shows had a modern/retro look and that the creators took them so seriously really gives them a timeless quality.
jabalong

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:46 am

Welcome to the boards!

Watching all of Doctor Who seems like quite a daunting task. I’m still going through the modern Doctor Who, but I’d eventually like to watch some of the earlier stuff. I began watching the Eccleston series a couple years ago when I was unemployed, but never kept pushing onwards. I certainly liked what I saw though. This summer, with a dearth of any new shows to watch I resumed Doctor Who with the second series. At first Tennant was hard to get into, I really liked Chris Eccleston, but I’d say by the end of the third series I loved him. I’m currently going through the Specials, I’ve watched The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, and The Waters of Mars, so I’ve only got The End of Time to watch now until I’ve finished with Tennant. Part of me almost does not want to continue onwards because I know its Tennant’s last and I’ve grown so fond of him. Yet at the same time I know there are more exciting stories to watch. I think I’ll like Matt Smith’s Doctor, I did see last year’s Christmas special.

I love DCAU. I’ve never been a big comics person so I’d say about 80% of my exposure to most of DC Universe has been through TV shows. Batman: The Animated Series still remains one of my favorite shows. It was really well done and you can tell that so much love was put into it. I don’t think the more modern animated incarnations of Batman including “The Batman” and Brave and the Bold will hold up quite as well. I only recently (’08-’09) got into Justice League and JLU (I was unemployed and had nothing but spare time on my hands) and I thoroughly enjoyed that experience.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby jabalong » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:14 am

I'd never seen any Doctor Who up until the new series. Well that's not true, the Tom Baker ones were on when I was a kid, but they freaked me out. I didn't really understand British scifi, until a Scottish friend explained that it's part horror, part campiness. And now I get it.

When the new series came on, I thought it looked great, but still didn't get into it. Then season 2 was on with David Tennant and I really fell in love with it, so yeah it hurt to see Tennant go. But then I went back and watched the first season and really like Chris Eccleston by the end of it.

Matt Smith is good. It's just that after going back and watching the old Doctor Who, where the Doctor was older and so were some of the companions, initially anyway, it just opens up more possibilities than the younger and younger Doctors and companions of the new series. I think it'd be a great reversal after Matt Smith to try an old doctor. We'll see.

If you have the time and the patience, it's interesting to go back to the beginning of Doctor Who. But it's a real culture shock so to speak, as the format of the show is different (story arcs broken into half hour episodes), the pace is slower, it's black and white, and it's all quite dated (it's 50 years old after all!). It's a bit like being a TNG era Trek fan and going back to watch the show, but with even more of a dislocation.

The DCAU is great. I'd already done Justice League, which prompted me to revisit Batman and Superman. After these, I'll watch Batman Beyond. After that, I don't know...
jabalong

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:28 am

I was never very familiar with Doctor Who. I knew of the show but had never seen an episode. I want to say it was on before or after Stargate SG-1 or Battlestar Galactica when it was airing on Sci-Fi but I never bothered with it. Before that I only knew of Doctor Who from when it was on PBS.

It seems like in the last year or so Doctor Who’s popularity has experienced a swell. It seems like quite a lot of people I know are fans, which is part of the reason I decided to go back and continue watching the show. Its nice to be “in” on something. Just like with “Troll 2” which I had also never seen up until very recently.

One thing that strikes me about Doctor Who is that it’s very easy to pick up. Its not filled with techno babble and like most good sci-fi all the time travel, aliens, and space ships are merely the tools used to tell a good story.

One DCAU show I don’t think I’ve seen much of is Batman Beyond. I remember watching it on TV, but at the time I just wasn’t really into it. I think I’d like to go back now and watch it again.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Satam » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:58 am

Hiya. I'm Satam.
Satam

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi Satam!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Xylob The Destroyer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi, I'm the newest new guy.
Been an IAT lurker for a while.

My avatar is obnoxious, you're welcome (unless your epileptic - then I apologize).
Xylob The Destroyer
Chief
Chief

PreviousNext

Return to IAT Flea Market