The Return of Marvel Legends...

A Forum for the discussion of all things Marvel & the many lines that dominated toy shelves for years: Legends, Universe, Select, the Films, and any other Marvel line past & present.

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: The Return of Marvel Legends...

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:36 am

They should just do a BANJMXMS, or Build A Nineties Jim Lee X-Men Set. [grin]

So in one box you'd get Jubilee's head, Cyclops' torso, Jean's left leg, Rogue's right arm, and the left panel of the Prof's hoverchair.

And so on. :lol:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby dayraven » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:They should just do a BANJMXMS, or Build A Nineties Jim Lee X-Men Set. [grin]

So in one box you'd get Jubilee's head, Cyclops' torso, Jean's left leg, Rogue's right arm, and the left panel of the Prof's hoverchair.

And so on. :lol:

grizzly! then we could just buy that one box and display the scattered bits at the sentinel's feet!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:35 am

Stupid Jim Lee X-men... Someday I'll get to display those, but I fear I might have lost interest in having that diverse a collection by the time they ever get done in a consisten scale/style... :lol:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:58 am

you know, i've had this idea for some time that legends should do boxed sets based on some of the popular artist renditions of some of their characters/eras. like for example, a jim lee x-men set, a mark bagley spidey set, a gary frank hulk/pantheon set, a rob liefeld x-character set, a mcfarlane spidey set, a ron frenz thor set, a simonson argard set... and the idea is, you use the boxed sets to release figs that don't/won't get released as singles.

for example, in the simonson asgard set, you do the warriors three, kurse, odin and a twilight sword pack in that co-incides w/ the regular series simonson-era surtur BAF... that way, you cross the look over to a more mainstream product and potentially cross sell both product lines. in the frank hulk/pantheon set, we have a fantastic frank hulk from the hulk classics line, re-release that as part of the core legends releases, then the box has achilles, agamemnon, ajax and the u-foes. in the bagley box, we include a bagley spidey, cardiac, alistair smythe, mary jane, calypso, morbius, and maybe shriek (but bagely did great chicks, so yes, i'd want it chick heavy). the mcf spidey set we get the first spidey that's engineered to put his knees up by his head, venom, the lizard, kraven, paladin, silver sable. the liefeld x-characters we do the kane weapon x, grizzly, gw bridge, zero, forearm, wildside. jim lee x-men set, we do charles in hoverchair, rogue, jubilee, psylocke, magneto, fabien cortez, and madelyne prior. in the frenz thor set, we do most of the new warriors (night thrasher, speedball, marvel boy, and rage, firestar and nova are worth mainstream releases) and the earth force (the mainstream line could totally do a set in that... set.)

you get the idea here... [smile] but i think the key to boxes is not only highlighting the artist, but tying the box into the concurrent mainstream legends release, so look for a key accessory or dio piece that could expand on the main line.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:47 am

Love that idea DR!

I'm always down for artist-specific renditions.
Lay Ze-Man

Postby dayraven » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:58 am

Lay Ze-Man wrote:Love that idea DR!

I'm always down for artist-specific renditions.

especially when, over the years, some of those character had VERY different intreprations depending on who was doing the art. that leaves the core line open for current looks, or amalgamated "classic" looks or even movie figs, but gives hardcore comic geeks a shot at some of the specific looks they've enjoyed over the years.

they almost kinda sorta got into that w/ the face-offs packs, w/ punisher and hulk both getting some really spot on likenesses. they definitely left me in a "more please" way. it seems like an easy way to revitalize the line in a year or two once the main line has some steam again, and the nice thing is, the specific tooling for the artist deco could be smartly re-applied later. for example, if we got a shriek in the bagley spidey pack, her limbs could later be used for a gamora no prob.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Also, Marvel fans haven't really had much product in that regard.

Love or hate DC Direct, but they've given the DC fans more artist-specific stuff than could choke a manatee!

Kirby, Miller, Jim Lee, Tim Sale, McGuinness, Michael Turner, Perez, Alex Ross, and on and on.

Mixed results? Absolutely, but you gotta applaud 'em for doing it.
Lay Ze-Man

Postby dayraven » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:Also, Marvel fans haven't really had much product in that regard.

Love or hate DC Direct, but they've given the DC fans more artist-specific stuff than could choke a manatee!

Kirby, Miller, Jim Lee, Tim Sale, McGuinness, Michael Turner, Perez, Alex Ross, and on and on.

Mixed results? Absolutely, but you gotta applaud 'em for doing it.

totally. and marvel has employed at one time or another, most of the same superstar artists DC has, so why the hell not take advantage of the track DCD has proven can work, but w/ legends flair? seems like a no-brainer to me.

BTW, i know the'yd never cop to it... but wouldn't it be fly as all hell for matty and hasbro to joint release a massive box set of jack kirby characters? clearly, it would be a feat, but it would be a fantastic tribute to very likely the single most influential comic artist in history. make the set huge too, like a 30 fig series broken into 6 piece boxed sets and released over a year.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby He-Mullet » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Although not on ML I remember the SMC line had a couple of Humberto Ramos' styled figures. I bought the HR GG many years ago...
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:43 pm

He-Mullet wrote:Although not on ML I remember the SMC line had a couple of Humberto Ramos' styled figures. I bought the HR GG many years ago...

yeah, that GG was cool. who was the other ramos style fig?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

PreviousNext

Return to Marvel Comics Toy Forum