Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:54 am

Possibly?

They really boned it by not making the head compatible with SB Ray though. Keeping the heads similar is something that should've been engineered into the figures in the first place.

There are so many talented people working in the industry (the Four Horsemen, Hasbro's Joe team, a host of indy guys) that I find it ridiculous that not one member of Mattel's Ghostbusters team has got that line to a hit a home run. Don't get me wrong, I like the line, most of the figures, etc.; I don't know if it's fair to contrast the in-house sculptors against the Four Horsemen, but there are some basics like making parts compatible for shared use (for them, let alone for us) and smart packing of accessories that are just overlooked. Just a general lack of attention to detail and 60% off nearly every item sold on the site up to this point showcases that.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:39 am

Well, the foundation and roots of this line were always crappy.

Remember the out-of-control ridiculous hype leading up to the lackluster premature announcement when they didn't even have Bill Murray's likeness secured? Yeah.

Now consider the indiscriminate changes to the 4H sculpts which made the final products worse. Yeah again.

And as I recall, RGB was included in the launch details but was quickly backpedaled upon as soon as everyone realized this was just going to be an endless rotation of Busters in barely different outfits.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:41 pm

I haven't seen it for myself yet, but I just read that the Matty sale on GB is up to 60% off!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby TSR » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:36 pm

That was for Halloween only
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:01 am

Yeah, it was 60% off just that day. I snagged some Venkmans in what I'm calling "the worst accessory pack ever".

I also picked up a 12" Winston and he's frickin' awesome. I have Egon from the Mad Matty deal I ordered... but I don't know if I want to open or trade/sell him off yet. I can have just Winston, but if I open Egon that will surely lead to all four. :roll:

Also ended up with Vinz since he was the only figure I didn't have and he was $8... yeah... he's still in his box. :lol:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:38 am

Ha! Yeah that Vinz sucks. Poor Rick Moranis surely deserves better.

And considering your the big Winston fan, I say ditch the Egon. The Peter's OK, but the Ray sucks, LOL.

Also, do you have any custom plans for your Peters?
Lay Ze-Man

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:18 am

The longer he's been on my desk, I can almost buy into the head sculpt, but there's no getting around the arms and torso being subpar.

On the 12" front, I want the GB2 Winston in the 2pk which means I'd end up with a Peter. Supposedly, the Egon/Ray 2pk has a new head sculpt for Ray so I could be silly/crazy and round up a set that way and get all the cool gear. The problem there is, do you bother buying this stuff full price on the day of? And either way, it makes the Egon I have of no use to me.

I don't have plans yet. I broke the Proton Pack off of one for a picture I ended up not using, but I still have the other two. I considered swapping out the three extra sets of gloved hands (by virtue of having 3 Peters) with the rest of the 'Busters to get a "complete set" that way, but I'll prolly never do it. [sweat]
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:17 am

So I want the GB2 Winston in the 12" 2pk, but at this point, I feel like I should just wait until it's inevitable clearance...

If I were a serious GB collector, I'd be pretty peeved at Matty for releasing both doll sets on the same day. $240+ shipping for all four right before Christmas? Boo.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:33 pm

So it's finally Vigo day... do I buy him this year for $20 or next year for $8? [sweat]
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:38 am

Or . . . not at all? :razz:

Guess I'm still just bummed how lackluster he turned out.

I mean, of all the characters from the GB movieverse, Vigo is like THE character tailormade to be a badass action figure, so I guess that makes Mattel's falling down on this one that more disappointing.
Lay Ze-Man

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion