30th Anniversary Thread (Castle Grayskull Man- Nov, Pg 12)

Discuss all your favorite eras of Masters of the Universe here - Classics, MO2K, Princess of Power, New Adventures, & the Vintage Line!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

30th Anniversary Thread (Castle Grayskull Man- Nov, Pg 12)

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:00 am

A thread for that wonderful subline celebrating thirty years of MOTU! [smile]
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Toyguru's Character: The Mighty Spector discussion

Postby He-Mullet » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:08 pm

The Power-Con reveal that has me the MOST excited of them all: The Mighty Spector!
Toyguru's entry as a kid in the CAC Contest from many moons ago is finally a Reality!
Forget about Stinkor, SlushHead, The White Sorceress Variant (Temple of Darkness), the Snake Mtn. Stands, or the 200X Griffin! The Mighty Spector is where the AWESOME IS!!!/sarcasm

Seriously!? I HAD my suspicions that TG was just gunning for the toys he wants, but THIS takes the cake... OK it was made by TG when he was a kid, but COME ON! He already has HIS LIKENESS in the line!
Does anyone even WANT TG's Deadpool?
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Re: Toyguru's Character: The Mighty Spector discussion

Postby AdventureVault » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:43 pm

I talked about this a bit in the Power-Con thread, but I don't actually mind TG's character. Especially since it's the one he submitted as a kid. He's the guy in charge, and he had the chance to get his own figure made finally. I think most people would have done the same thing in his position.

Also, I think the character's look can be excused since he's a time traveler. I would love to see what Future Eternia (Futernia?) looks like. Magic and technology finally merge to create a super advanced society. Based on the current bios, the villain could be Skeletor and Evil Lyn's son. The future He-man could be a long lost descendant of Adam's who uses a techno Power Sword similar to the 200X version.

Crap, now I want to make a Futernia story...
You now possess Dracula's Wallet.
AdventureVault
Admoderal
Admoderal

Postby He-Mullet » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm only interested in his left arm... Everything else, blegh!
My Biggest problem, aside he looks like a Liefeldian Nightmare (give or take a few pouches) is that Characters that Mattel CAN do, like Illumina from the MVC comics, are not getting done cause "they don't have enough following for Mattel to invest on them", yet we get a character that did not even made the top 5 spots in the 80s CAC contest (just cause the current Brand Manager was the one who made it as a kid)
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby AdventureVault » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:19 pm

I do agree with you there, it's pretty annoying to see them ignoring characters like Illumina. Hopefully they'll be willing to give her some love now though. There's really no legit excuse not to at this point.

Also, I would rather have the brand manager for the line develop a new character rather than some comic book writer who has nothing to do with the brand in any way, shape, or form...
You now possess Dracula's Wallet.
AdventureVault
Admoderal
Admoderal

Postby He-Mullet » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Well that's an even worse offense, when there's people who work on comics that HAVE WORKED for Mattel on MOTU projects that COULD'VE gotten a spot... If it wasn't for that grudge that Mattel has against them... Not gonna say any names.

They should've jsut made the remaining non 4-H, Nathan Bitner spots for the top entries of the 2011 CAC contest...
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:47 pm

spector- i just don't get it. which means, i won't get it. [smile] that nice thing is, this friggin kitbash will be at the higher price tag "day of." why? who knows.

stinkor looks good, if you liked stinkor. i didn't, so, he's not coming home, but again, if you like the character, you definitely got a good shake there.

slushhead does less than nothing for me. most of the NA figs did in the old days, and here we are...

all white sorceress. i actually like her better than the original vintage colors, but i still think the 200x is the only design i would consider bringing home. still, he finally gives us a place to put the marble, if we all hadn't already bought that schleich dio piece that TRU liquidated.

the griffin- interesting use of parts. not my favorite thing i've ever seen, the beak seems too damned big, but it's kinda cool.

the revealed bios are collectively so much drivel. the writing on these is getting worse and worse, if only because despite the passage of time, they're not getting any better. how the hell did photog get a whole bio that failed to mention project photog or marlena in any way? what the hell? seriously, toy guru is a troglodyte homunculus... and so is spectorpool. or is it deadspector? or possibly spectorshot?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:04 am

I thought the whole purpose behind the 30th Anniv. Line was to have new characters created. This is all just gravy, it was supposed to be something fun to celebrate three decades of MOTU. To the best of my knowledge its not affecting the main line. Plus this is just one figure out of five, and we're already getting the legendary Photog and Draego Man, so overall I think its pretty cool.

That said, I don't know that my first impression of Spector is positive. The resemblance to Deadpool/Deathstroke kinda turns me off, and when I first saw him I instantly thought of X-Men. I don't love him, but I'm still getting the 30th Sub.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Mose » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:31 pm

I mentioned it in the Power-Con thread so I'll mention it here as well. From a design perspective, I honestly see many problems with him:

Although I really like the blaster design, I find that it is too small for the holster. When I look at the holster, the size suggests that it holsters a hand-cannon. Unless it is suppose to hold both the blaster and the knife at the same time, it’s just too big. I also like the armband will have an interchangeable plug-in energy blade and whip.

The spade of the chest and the diamond shapes over his eyes suggest he may have a playing card motif. I would actually either play up the card/spade motif or remove the spade altogether as I find it looks out of place. I would actually play it up as it could lead to many interesting playing card/spade influences. For example, incorporate all suits into his design and maybe include suit-themed equipment (a club-shaped club, a diamond sword, gimmick cards, a grappling hook/raygun with a heart as the tip, spade dagger). Maybe give his costume colour a back of a playing card pattern. Also, give him a playing card themed name (Poker Face, as you can’t see his face).

I find him very monochromatic as well. Maybe using more trap-jaw parts may help with that. I would also make the metal colour of the boots and wrist guard a brighter or a different colour. I would either make the yellow parts gold like the Triklops armband or make the armband yellow as there is no point in having both. For some reason, the colours on the concept shown work and look better than they do on the figure. That’s the (weird) nature of things. Here’s the concept of it:
http://he-man.org:81/forums/boards/show ... ost2830665

In the end, considering that this figure received no reaction whatsoever was shown during the presentation, The Mighty Spector isn’t a bad figure per say, it just has a weak design that I’m not comfortable nor pleased about paying $20+ dollars for as I bought the sub.

I tried to be as constructive as possible with my criticism.

This isn’t meant to be an attack on TG. If it does come of as that, then I apologize.
"Mose....."
Mose
Commander
Commander

Postby He-Mullet » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:35 pm

I REALLY, REALLY want to like him, but I can't.
I think part of it is the fact that he feels like a figure made out of custom fodder.
The name and his appearance don't fit his gimmick or alliance.
Purple: color associated with the badguys in cartoons and comics (and In MOTU arious bad guys have purple in their attire or fur in Panthor's case)
The Spade has no significance with Time (or Time Travel) More associated with gambling, Especially the Dead Man's hand...
The name Spector kinda sounds like Spectre... not exactly a Time Traveller.
The full monochromatic bodysuit evokes an assassin or secret agent: (Snake Eyes, Sam Fisher)
Also, I don't see anything Mighty about him. A cape could help...
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to MOTUClassics.Com