Aural Onslaught (the Music Thread)

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Aural Onslaught (the Music Thread)

Postby SilntAngl5 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:49 pm

You ALMOST stole my thunder, DR... I was going to make a music thread. :cool:
"EVERYONE DESERVES THE CHANCE TO FLY!"Image
SilntAngl5
Captain Mrs. Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:06 pm

don't think of it as stealing... just an oppurtunity for new collaboration! so chime in sis, who's the bees knees for guitar for ms sil?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:16 pm

Ebonhorn wrote:stevie ray vaughn
billy gibbons
kirk hammett
adam jones
Slash
Zakk Wylde
KK Downing
Glen Tipton
Dimebag
James Root

and because I can I'll add
Mick Thomson
Synster Gates

some interesting choices there... you like the dueling guitarists thing eh? downing and tipton are gods man, no doubt, and root and thomson could easily be, given a little more time to really work out a joint approach. gotta say though, i'm a not AS fan, so the choice of synyster was an odd one to me... if you had to recommend a track or two to showcase what the guy can do, what would you recommend?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby SilntAngl5 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:25 pm

dayraven wrote:don't think of it as stealing... just an oppurtunity for new collaboration! so chime in sis, who's the bees knees for guitar for ms sil?

Oh I don't know. I don't think I could pick out one name or think of one I like enough to throw out a name. :sad:
"EVERYONE DESERVES THE CHANCE TO FLY!"Image
SilntAngl5

Postby Ebonhorn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:26 pm

I think AS, you like or you don't. They are very modern guns and roses in that fact. I couldn't really give you a track to be honest. I will say their latest album has really made me feel what he is doing. He has stepped it up.

Yeah I love twin guitars. I like guys who trade of lead and rhythm. It's just fun watching them go back and forth. The interplay between Tipton and Downing is just as much a part of the legacy of Priest as Halford's voice.

Yeah I think since Slipknot has decided to play music more than just make noise, Root and Thomson will really start to come into their own as a duo.
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby Toygiant » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:31 pm

Really? No love for Steve Vai or Joe Satriani?

I'd make a list but you guys pretty much covered everyone. And I'm glad to see that Richie Blackmore was ommited from both of your lists. He's number one on the list of most over-hyped/under-talented guitarists of all time. I was so pissed at Guitar Worlds top 100 list a few years back. Neither Eddie Van Halen or Angus Young were in the top 10, but there was Blackmore at like number 5. :|

I will however ad Kenny Wayne Shepard (listen to "Blue on Black"), Buddy Guy, BB King, Peter Green, John Mayal, and, although he doesn' showcase it enough on his albums (and you guys will either roast me here, or not say anything, which will actually be worse), John Mayer is an extrordinary guitar player. I took my wife to see him 3 years ago and he completely blew me away. And I have a blues guitarist for a father who's taken me to see all the greats. I've seen and heard some serious starfruit come out of a guitar and JM could keep up with them easy. :sectaur:
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby Ebonhorn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Dude I will not mock the John Mayer thing. I watched a special PBS with him and he did blues and the boy can play. He does crappy music but he can play the starfruit out of a guitar. KENNY WAYNE SHEPHERD!!!!!!!!! OH GOD!!!! It's been so long, that boy can play. I would do a whole nother list of just blues guys. It's like a different instrument in there hands.
Ebonhorn

Postby dayraven » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:47 pm

i tell you my issue w/ satriani and vai... there's a point in technicality where you cease to possess soul. and i think both of them breeze over that line. like i've listened to and own a few of each of their CD's but both come across a little... anemic for lack of a better word. like i like satriani's work in chickenfoot a lot better than his solo stuff (and was excited to read they're working on a 2nd album) but sat, and vai, play to me like the anit-slash, all technique and no soul. it's got to emote. if it won't emote, it's got to the absolute best of technique to interest me... hence MAB.

as for mayer, i'm not a fan of his voice, but yes, the kid's got chops that most music critics will likely never see. much like prince, who gets remembered for a lot of things besides being a world class musician (which he is... the guy's incredible on like 5 instruments)

and for blackmore... he's ok. h'es definitely not in my top 10, obviously. and really, i suspect i could get through my top 20 without him too... likely my top 40 too.

if i eboned a bit, i might add kim thayil, tom morello (a MAB student, BTW), tonni iommi and jimmy page to the list.

TG, might i make a suggestion? if you're not already familiar w/ him, check out blind gary davis. i just got turned on to him via ebon and MAN is that guy good. his soul comes through that guitar and yet he's still technical and sharp. cool stuff.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Ebonhorn wrote:Dude I will not mock the John Mayer thing. I watched a special PBS with him and he did blues and the boy can play. He does crappy music but he can play the starfruit out of a guitar. KENNY WAYNE SHEPHERD!!!!!!!!! OH GOD!!!! It's been so long, that boy can play. I would do a whole nother list of just blues guys. It's like a different instrument in there hands.

does KWS still make music? haven't heard anything out of him in a while, but i suppose i haven't really sought it out either.

blues guitfiddle is almost a different beast... almost. to me, it speaks to the versatility of the instrument. blues guys though, they definitely know how to make that bitch moan, don't they? the thing is, man, when you start vibing into blues, there's literally an ocean of incredible music to freedive. i suppose the same could be said of rock, but man, there were a lot of obscure but really incredible blues/soul musicians all through american history. and i admit to liking OLD blue grass too, back when the roots in the scotch-irish were still abundantly obvious and the commercial side of things hadn't yet reared it's head... and the early dabbling of blue-grass and blues together... that'll flip your wig back.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:56 pm

Oh hell yeah, you can go on a blues kick for years....I have. I've been to "The Crossroads".

Yeah traditional blue grass that still shows it's heritage is fantastic. Clearly american music but still that sound of the hills of ireland.
Ebonhorn

PreviousNext

Return to The Green Room