Aural Onslaught (the Music Thread)

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Aural Onslaught (the Music Thread)

Postby dayraven » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:36 am

Well friends, in the interest of having an actual music thread instead of hitting up the random thoughts thread, here we are! In our inaugural post, i'll start us off w/ the classic discussion of rock and roll leading men...

Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?

personally, i'm a bon scott man.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Re: Aural Onslaught (the Music Thread)

Postby Ebonhorn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:43 am

Bon Scott.....I like Brian Johnson, don't get me wrong, but as for what I want in a front man Bon Scott had it in spades.
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby dayraven » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:01 pm

somtimes i think we're the only music lovers here...
so, whatcha listenin' to these days ebbie? discover anything new lately? revisiting an old favorite? that damb vh1 top 100 artists countdown last week has me listening a lot to some of the not mentioned or misplaced acts (of which there were a ton, but the last two days, it's been a lot of korn and the chili peppers, in a completely unrelated way, static x.)
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:00 am

A lot of White Stripes....watched the Documentary "It Might Get Loud" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Might_Get_Loud, and have just been on a kick for like a month now. Occasional doses of Acid Bath for something quite different, but in a way the same.
Ebonhorn

Postby dayraven » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:59 am

Ebonhorn wrote:A lot of White Stripes....watched the Documentary "It Might Get Loud" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Might_Get_Loud, and have just been on a kick for like a month now. Occasional doses of Acid Bath for something quite different, but in a way the same.

do i need to peep the doc? it's still running on starz on demand, i just keep finding other things to do.

by chance did you watch the clusterfudge that was the VMAs? i tell you, the wife made me watch (as we only have 1 tv and i was intermittently out of the room anyways) and it was awful... and i finally figured out why. becase there are no rockers on the program anymore. none. in fact, lady gaga was the only non-hip hopper to appear on the show (i don't count the jared leto thing, as they're not even musicians near as i can tell). it's preposterous. w/ soundgarden back together, MTV had a PERFECT chance to get our generation, who used to worship that channel, to tune back in, if not to the broadcast, at least to their website the following day to see the performance, and chris and crew would have had a chance to remind these nitwit kids what a BAND sounds like. and he could easily outsing every "performer" that actually showed up, wouldn't that piss off the HHers, when mary j blige tries to belt out her song and chris completely drowns her out. mary has a nice voice, but she lacks the raw aural intensity that mr cornell brings to the table. and his range is easily as fluid and dynamic as hers is.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:00 am

dayraven wrote:do i need to peep the doc? it's still running on starz on demand, i just keep finding other things to do.

Make time and watch it. You will not regret it.
Ebonhorn

Postby dayraven » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:09 pm

i indeed did not regret it. that was a blast, though i don't know if my highlight was jack white and finally understanding how his head works "which i feel like i do now" or the youthful enthusiasm of jimmy page who still grins like a kid when talking about music.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Jimmy in his record room was a fantastic. Him playing records that made him happy or hit those parts of him that you just know you've had hit with certain music. Jack White is just one of those guys who I love his madness.
Ebonhorn

Postby dayraven » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:10 pm

Ebonhorn wrote:Jimmy in his record room was a fantastic. Him playing records that made him happy or hit those parts of him that you just know you've had hit with certain music. Jack White is just one of those guys who I love his madness.

what made me laugh is here's jimmy page, one of the finest guitarists in the world, EVER, and he's playing rumble and he's grinning from ear to ear like a kid and playing air guitar with it. that was a brilliant moment of cinema. i also loved the round robin slide trio thing they were doing near the end, that was some great riffing right there.

so, as a matter of personal taste, let me ask this, if you had to pin down your top 10 guitarists, who be on the list? now, i'm not asking you to put them in order, just who, when you're talking about them to someone else, makes YOU grin and air guitar? my list would be:

stevie ray vaughn
billy gibbons
nuno bettencourt
kirk hammett
mark knoppler
adam jones
lindsay buckingham
jesse james dupree
eddie van halen
michael angelo battio
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:25 pm

stevie ray vaughn
billy gibbons
kirk hammett
adam jones
Slash
Zakk Wylde
KK Downing
Glen Tipton
Dimebag
James Root

and because I can I'll add
Mick Thomson
Synster Gates
Ebonhorn

Next

Return to The Green Room