Toy Tales

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Toy Tales

Postby Mose » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:29 pm

I thought I would be interesting to make a threat about interesting, unusual, and/or funny stories regarding toys whether it being buying a toy, finding an unique toy, other anything else toy related. It can be a recent story or an older one. I encourage anyone with a story to share.

This story involves a transformer. A few years ago when Transformers Universe Classics 2.0 was still out, I remember going to a Zellers (Canadian equivalent to Target), searching for any new transformers. While searching through the voyagers and found a Cybertron Evac packaged in a Blades box. Blades was a re-color of Evac from the Cybertron line and was considered one of the better transformers from that line. Evac, however, was one of the ones that never showed up here in my area. Noticing this I checked the box to see if it was tampered with. The tape matched the other boxes and was untouched, and the box was in mint condition. Given that voyagers were on sale I picked him up. When I got him home I opened him up. He came with instructions saying Blades as well as the key Blades was suppose to come with. However he came with Evac’s missiles and rotor blades. In the end I guessed that there must have been a production mistake or something.
"Mose....."
Mose
Commander
Commander

Re: Toy Tales

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Cool idea for a thread!

(I'll have to think a bit on a story to relate . . . )

On yours, I'm surprised that the box was totally untampered with, as that would've been my initial guess, that someone preferred Blades to Evac and returned their old toy in its place.

Weird!
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby Mose » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:22 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:Cool idea for a thread!

On yours, I'm surprised that the box was totally untampered with, as that would've been my initial guess, that someone preferred Blades to Evac and returned their old toy in its place.

Weird!

Yeah, the box was too pristine and clean to have been tampered with. Color-wise in find Evac more interesting. The orange and blue go well together.
"Mose....."
Mose
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:23 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:Cool idea for a thread!

Weird!

ok, this one time... i got a toy... from my grandma... and it was awesome! but it broke... and she died. :eek: :eek: but not because it broke, she had six consecutive massive heart attacks over a two day period. and then, she haunted me in my dreams. but she said nothing about that glow in the dark skeletor play sword. YEAH!!

oh, and when she died, it was like four years after the sword broke... cheap piece of shxt. :razz:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:29 pm

Have I ever told anyone about why Tracks is my favorite Transformer?

I don't remember how old I was, I'm gonna say 5-6, and my parents took me on a long Trek for Optimus Prime. We struck out everywhere here and made the trip to Springfield (my first multiple city toy hunt!) but struck out everywhere there too. At the last K-Mart, my parents defeatedly offered me any TF I wanted that was at that store. The only two they had that I really wanted were Blaster and Tracks. I loved corvettes (and fighter jets) as a kid so I picked Tracks. I loved that figure. I barely remembered him in the cartoon, but he was my most played with TF. His stickers wore off, his door broke, he got dirty. He was an awesome toy. I still have him in storage somewhere (and a reissue and his alternator with the appropriate stickers). Anyway, I always just remember that trip. It was so much fun. Spent the whole day with my parents hunting for toys, saw a ton of cool stuff, and had a blast.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Mose » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:57 pm

NoisyDvL5 wrote:Have I ever told anyone about why Tracks is my favorite Transformer?

I don't remember how old I was, I'm gonna say 5-6, and my parents took me on a long Trek for Optimus Prime. We struck out everywhere here and made the trip to Springfield (my first multiple city toy hunt!) but struck out everywhere there too. At the last K-Mart, my parents defeatedly offered me any TF I wanted that was at that store. The only two they had that I really wanted were Blaster and Tracks. I loved corvettes (and fighter jets) as a kid so I picked Tracks. I loved that figure. I barely remembered him in the cartoon, but he was my most played with TF. His stickers wore off, his door broke, he got dirty. He was an awesome toy. I still have him in storage somewhere (and a reissue and his alternator with the appropriate stickers). Anyway, I always just remember that trip. It was so much fun. Spent the whole day with my parents hunting for toys, saw a ton of cool stuff, and had a blast.

Great story. I remember you mentioning your toy trip with your parents in your Seaspray review. G2 Sideswipe was my Tracks when I was younger. Still have him, in fairly good shape too. Brings back fond memories. [smile]

Tracks is getting a new figure in the generations line within the next year I believe.
"Mose....."
Mose
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:25 pm

that story reminds me of the secret wars magneto for me. i got him not after a long hunt, but as a present on return home from the second of my surgeries (having my hamstrings loosened) so he was the "new" toy during a four month lay down period... hence he immediately got a lot of play, and was catapulted to the top of the action figure echelon. he and he-man were the two most cherished figs in the collection, and really, in the long haul, SW mags has been the top of the heap a lot more often. i still have the original fig, but he's been repainted numerous times, armored w/ every thing i knew how to make for action figures, had capes made by my mother (which i also still have) and is barely recongnizable, so i few years ago i found a good deal on a vintage mags that was still in excellent shape, so i acquired him... and the two are now the avatars of goodness and evil in the dayravenverse. that poor old toy has been with me through several major life events since, including my graduation from high school, my wedding, and the birth of both my kids. (the wife did not know he made the wedding trip w/ me. [grin] )
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:16 am

I liked your second story a lot better! [magic]

Anybody got stories of toys they didn't get? I've got a few of those when I'm awake!
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:21 am

hey, not every toy story is a rosy ray of friggin sunshine.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Mose » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:14 pm

NoisyDvL5 wrote:I liked your second story a lot better! [magic]

Anybody got stories of toys they didn't get? I've got a few of those when I'm awake!

I liked your second story too!

It reminds me of ROTF Lockdown. He first started showing up at specialty stores for over $20, but figured the wave would start showing up at the box stores soon, so I passed on him. I, however, failed to predict how much of the previous wave they would bring in (the mangosteen Tuner Mudflap wave). The other figures sold well, it was tuner mudflap that became a major pain in my ass. It got to the point that any store with a ROTF section would have nothing but tuner mudflaps. Walls full of that mangosteen figure. As months passed I was able to buy the other figures from the Lockdwon wave through the specialty stores for over standard price. I got lucky and found Lockdown over a month ago (along with Hulkbuster Iron Man). I know a lot of people who were looking forward to Lockdown and were never able to find him. And it was all because of those mangosteen tuner mudflaps.
"Mose....."
Mose
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion