How durable are Square Enix figures?

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

How durable are Square Enix figures?

Postby timh_iat » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:06 am

Hi, for those who have bought Square Enix figures, how durable do you consider them?

My Lara Croft Tomb Raider leg snapped off, which has left me afraid to buy more Square Enix or pose my Catwoman and Wonder Woman any more. I did some web sleuthing and discovered that the Tomb Raider fig's leg has snapped off for several people, so maybe TR was a fluke.

Have you experienced breakages with your Square Enix? I want to pick up Chun Li, but am concerned. I note, however, that Chun Li appears to have different leg construct than the Lara Craft (Chun Li has upper thigh swivels, whereas Lara Croft has the ratcheted style leg (what broke on Lara was the left hip's plastic hoop that attached the leg to the ratchet).

-Tim
timh_iat
Ensign
Ensign

Re: How durable are Square Enix figures?

Postby Bigbot84 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:34 am

I've bought several Kai figures, but I never will again. One Hitman broke at the shoulder, and that Chun Li also broke at the shoulder. SE didn't do starfruit customer service wise on both figures.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby timh_iat » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for the warning, BigBot. It's a shame, too, because Chun Li looks great.

Am gaining an appreciation of Revoltech with its replaceable joints (even though none of my revoltechs have even broken 0 for 12 (revoltech), 1 for 3 Square Enix :-| :fedup:
timh_iat
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Ideal » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:59 pm

from what i can tell, issues with the Play Arts Kai figures are largely figure specific. some figures have problems that are inherent to that figure across the entire run, while other figures are completely fine. it would be worth your time to do quick check online before purchasing a figure to see if there are any widespread problems. but of course, that is not specific to Play Arts Kai and should not be viewed as such

i personally have not had any issues, and every single one that i have has taken a 4ft dive off my file cabinet at least once

for reference, i have the following:
DMC4 Dante
DMC4 Nero
Bleach Ichigo Kurosaki
Full Metal Alchemist Edward Elric
Final Fantasy Dissidia Cloud Strife
Zetman

as for comparing these to Revoltech, i think revoltech's replaceable joints is a bit of a cop out. its basically them saying "hey, our joints break a lot, so we are gonna sell replacements". i dont see that as a plus. and i've heard of far more Revoltech breakage than i've heard of Play Arts Kai
Ideal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Bigbot84 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:03 am

For Play Arts Kai, I have the following:

Kratos (wrist joints broke)
Hitman (shoulder joint broke)
Chun Li (shoulder joint broke)
Cammy (missing left elbow guard)

However, I do have several that are fine:

Spike Spiegel
Vicious
MGS Solid Snake
MGS Cyborg Ninja
Bayonetta

One of my friends has several too and his are fine. I was just really upset that Square Enix didn't do anything to help me. I was able to get my Hitman replaced from BigBad, but Chun Li remains broken since it was a pickup on eBay. SE never got back to me on any of those figure issues.

Also, keep in mind scale is all over the place among the lines. Each line seems to have their own scale.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ideal » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:07 am

Bigbot84 wrote:Also, keep in mind scale is all over the place among the lines. Each line seems to have their own scale.

i think this is my only real issue with Play Arts Kai. some of the figures i have can conceivably be in scale with one another, but others are ridiculously small/large compared to others

Dante and Nero from Devil May Cry 4 are on the large end of the spectrum, with Ichigo and Zetman kinda being in scale, if you take into account they are supposed to be teenagers and should be shorter than an adult. Cloud on the other hand is roughly the same size as my previous Play Arts Cloud (from before Kai started up).
Ideal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby timh_iat » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Lara Croft's leg snap-off was a complete "holy crap" moment for me--

But Square Enix's Catwoman has so far been exceptionally durable, with no stuck joints to speak of.

I also have Wonder Woman, whose left shoulder seems like it is one re-position away from snapping at the peg, but so far has held up. After Lara, I'm much less inclined to change WW's pose.

As for revoltech, I got Street Fighter Online He Tie Shou, and her elbow revolver joints strain at the seams every time I move them (but have yet to split apart). I do like the concept of revolver joints--though legs can be funky to bend at the knee because the hinge is never quite pointed right and I have to fiddle around to make the leg not bend sideways.
timh_iat
Ensign
Ensign

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion