TOTY Nominees?

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Postby Snowglare » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:51 pm

Dutch is definitely up there. So is Dutch. Two of the best figures I own. DKR Bats is decent, but nowhere near TotY. Though he's the only Batman I bought this year, there were probably two better versions: Mafex and DCC's AO Batman. Way more poseable, more impressive sculpts, etc. Only advantage DKR has is costume design. Also the main reason I didn't get the others.

Playmates' Mouser 7-pack might be the most fun toy all year. Certainly out of what I've bought.

Figma's always great. I don't have any of the 2013 stuff yet, but I'm sure there are a few among the cream of the crop. Between them, Figuarts, Revoltech and TF Masterpiece, I look to imports first in these matters.
Snowglare
Chief
Chief

Re: TOTY Nominees?

Postby Bigbot84 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:15 am

That DC Collectibles AO Batman is a thing of beauty. Only thing that would make it perfect is if it came with alternate hands and some accessories.

I still haven't opened my Metroplex because I found out it has stickers. WTF are we getting figures with stickers, especially one that's worth over $80?

It's almost unfair to include import figures. They're usually going to be better than mass market stuff domestically because of everything they come with.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby dayraven » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:59 pm

bigbot, if i might... yes, the stickers seem a tad on the cheapy side... but once i unleashed that giant bastard, and heard him speak, all my concerns that i'd overpaid melted right away. he is just surreal. the sculpting is nice, the figure feels solid... he is just the metroplex i imagined having as a kid, a true giant. and he moves well. just my 2 cents, but there you go [smile]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Bigbot84 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:51 pm

I've just never liked stickers when we there are better ways to do "flat" details.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Bigbot84 wrote:I still haven't opened my Metroplex because I found out it has stickers. WTF are we getting figures with stickers, especially one that's worth over $80?

THIS. I agree with this statement, completely and wholeheartedly. Give me paint apps or tampo but please, Dear Lord, do not give me stickers. This is why I have not applied any stickers to the few G1 'Bots that I've aquired over the years. When I picked up the G.I. Joe Tiger Rat applying the stickers was probably my least favorite thing about the whole toy. I can't tell you how much I appreciated this with Wind Raider and Sky Sled... I am so glad the details were painted/tampod' on and not the dread stickers.

RE: DKR Batman --- yes, he's an awesome figure but he's definitely not TOTY material.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby JamesLynch » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:16 pm

If Arkham Origins Batman had better quality control, I'd be inclined to support that figure's nomination. As it stands, however, I have a figure that's missing several noticeable chunks of paint, because the paint on some parts stuck to other parts (the left shoulder to the inside of the cape, the left hand to the forearm gauntlet), and the first time I moved those joints, the paint tore away, exposing the raw plastic and paint primer underneath. He's also got a stuck left knee, and a left ankle that's so misaligned, his foot's at about a 45 degree angle to the shelf he's standing on.

If the figure'd been executed with a bit more care, it would be great.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:17 am

which AO batman are you referring to james, the dcc one or the mattel one?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby JamesLynch » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:36 pm

The DCC one. It's only gotten worse as I've played with the figure. The range of most of the joints is pretty bad (the elbows don't even bend 90 degrees), and the ankles aren't strong enough to keep the figure upright. I'm sure the left foot not being close to being flat on the ground doesn't help.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:56 am

you know, when the articulated CS figs from DCC got announced, i made a comment on tni that they needed to get their QC issues in check and then they're be a serious contender in the figure industry, and some asswipe calls me out, like i'm making starfruit up and the only dcc fig that had an QC problems was killer croc, and that was only a small portion of the figures... it's nice to know that my counter argument, that the figs don't hold up well to posing, that this has happened throughout the entirety of their existence, and that breakages are pretty commonly reported, i wasn't out of my ass.

and yes, i make friends thusly amongst the entire toy community. :cool:

but for reals, for the price tag they're charging, marvel select frequently does figs that are as well sculpted, come with smart accessories, are well painted, and some quite large... at a price DCC apparently considers chump change. those CS figs look like DCCs first entrance to actually compete with marvel select, and given the disparity in QC, i don't think they're there yet. not saying that they can't get there, but i don't think they're time is now. look at the super giant figs, like the new 52 darkseid... he's furniture. he's not substantially bigger or better sculpted than what marvel masterworks did with galactus, at half the price, and he's 3/4 of metroplex' price tag, with no lights, no sound, no transformation, and at less than half the stature. and it's worth note, he's barely articulated. that's furniture, nerd furniture (he's too big to be a nerd hummel, although that's the rough comparison)
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Previous

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion