TOTY Nominees?

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

TOTY Nominees?

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:39 pm

"Too early for flapjacks?" [domo]

Thought it might be fun to start compiling a list of stuff that was truly badass this year. I know it's a tad early, but maybe someone will get an idea or two for the upcoming gift season, or be reminded of something they overlooked. [smile]

I'll start the ball rolling with a few that spring to mind: Dutch and Predator from the original flick, MOTUC Mantenna, and the Mattel DKR Bats. All gotta be part of the TOTY list as far as I'm concerned.

Who else? GOOOOOOO!!!!!
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Re: TOTY Nominees?

Postby JamesLynch » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Star Wars Black 6" series

SH Figuarts, especially the Sentai line.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:29 am

FIGURES:
Mantenna
Masterpiece Soundwave

LINES:
MOTU Classics
TransFormers Masterpiece

Wait . . . are we doing action figures only? 'Cause if they manage to arrive before the end of the year, I'd say Castle Grayskull is probably going to turn out kinda neat.

Looking at the nominations, you wouldn't think I was primarily a Star Wars collector, would you? As nifty as 6" Star Wars Black is, I can't justify the expense or the space to pick up more than just a couple of figures in that line. The 3.75" line has sort of petered out into half new figures and half troop-builders, which would be fine, if I didn't have to buy the waves by the crate and get even more army-builders. I have enough as it is. Anyone want some for a reasonable price?
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Naw, it's not too early. If it was Sept/Oct, I'd say yeah, but now is a good time to start thinking about it though!

I think 2013 should be nominated for "Best Toy Year of the Last Decade" --- soooooooo much cool crap came out in these 12 months. Whether you collect Star Wars, Joes, Transformers, DC, Marvel, MOTU, NECA (Aliens/Predators), LEGO, TMNT, there was seeminly no end to the amount of cool crap being released!

As far as cut-off for consideration, it's tough. Just because something is "out" doesn't quite mean that it's reached shelves in all 48 contiguous states. However if you disqualify something that comes out say, end of November/December for that year, more than likely you'll forget about it by the following year. For instance, what about Granamyr? He went up for sale mid-December and many folks didn't even receive him until after Christmas. Should have be considered for 2013? What about TMNT Classics Beebop and Rocksteady?

Line of the Year

Although I didn't collect more than a single figure from it, I think NECA's Predator line deserves this nod. While Star Wars Black is infinitely cool and I'm sure that there are great things to come from the line it just doesn't quite stand out to me.

Figure of the Year

NECA's Dutch --- all of them. Even with three (or was it four?) variants of the same character they were all worth buying on their own merit: Jungle Disguise Dutch (Mud covered), Jungle Extraction (w/ Cigar), or Jungle Patrol (Sleeveless w/ Camo.

MOTUC Ram-Man - Rammy was the last of the vintage cardbacks and ultimately became a selling point for the 2013 subscription --- it was either sub or take your chance with fate on day of sale --- or --- pay aftermarket prices. With 100% new tooling and a gargantuan size, Ram Man did not disappoint, and even came with an alternate head, sans helmet to add to your display options.

MOTUC Mantenna - As cool as Ram-Man is, Mantenna just might have the edge on him. He has got to be one of the most unique figures in the Masters Classics line. Like Ram-Man, benefitting from 100% new sculpt, he is perfectly executed --- with four legs, and swappable eyeballs to simulate the action feature, plus Horde weapon, he definitely gives you the biggest bang for your buck. While it seems like I say this about every figure, I was quite endeared to vintage Mantenna --- I think it was because he was so different from the rest of the figures in the vintage Masters line as well as his pop-out eyes which attracted me to him. Now with the Classics update we've got all the great detail of the 200x Staction with MOTUC articulation.

Masterpiece Soundwave - To be honest, Frank, and Shirley, MP Soundwave really should be toy of the year. Optimus Prime, Megatron, Grimlock --- all legendary characters in their own right, but when it comes to brass tax my favorite Transformer of all time will always be Soundwave. When this figure was first announced I began salivating uncontrolably. I knew I had to have it. The wait for the inevitable Hasbro-TRU release was excruciating but as it turned out it was well worth the wait. Yes, the price was steep at about $120, but the added value was immense. Not only did we receive Soundwave himself, but in addition the cassettes, Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Ravage, Rumble, and Frenzy. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the perfect edition of Soundwave. Yet, why can I not muster much enthusiam for him? I certainly look back and say "yes, this is a grand toy" and most definitely one of the best of the year, but he's just not at the top of my list.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Bigbot84 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:01 pm

Jungle Disguise Dutch springs immediately to mind. It's like I have a little Arnie on my desk trying to blend in with no trees or mud in sight... But really the whole Predator line has been fantastic.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ideal » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:55 pm

it really will be hard to top Soundwave, i think.

some others that should be mentioned: Star Wars Black 6in Darth Maul, Transformers Metroplex, Fansproject's Function X-1 (not-Chromedome), Play Arts Kai Zetman, Batman Unlimited DKR Batman, Marvel Legends X-Force Wolverine

and the Black Freighter Club Watchmen figures. i dont know how good the figures themselves are, since they are those rare exceptions to my standard "open everything" rule, but the boxes look badass displayed together on my shelf with the "Who watches the Watchmen" wall put together
Ideal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby dayraven » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Bigbot84 wrote:Jungle Disguise Dutch springs immediately to mind. It's like I have a little Arnie on my desk trying to blend in with no trees or mud in sight... But really the whole Predator line has been fantastic.

he really is spectacular, isn't he? i've got mine doing the torch pose atop my treebeard, and dutch looks like he was born there.

another one though, the IM legends monger BAF. he's just a delight.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:48 am

Ideal wrote:Transformers Metroplex, Fansproject's Function X-1 (not-Chromedome)

Yeah, these are pretty dang good, too. Biggest TransFormer ever, plus first not-legally-a-Headmaster-but-it-is-really in quite some time, and they're both excellent. Add to the mix that Function X-1 was a charity figure for a feel-good bonus, and it deserves a place in any ranking table.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:08 am

If I were to make a list of the top ten toys of 2013 Metroplex would definitely be on that list but personally I don't know if he's ToY material. Maybe if I owned him I would be singing a different tune.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Metroplex is dang nifty, but he falls short of being amazing (other than in size).

What he could really do with is someplace on both of his shins to peg his gigantic red cannon(s), like the original. Also, his stickers have a tendency to come loose if they wrap around corners or curves (well, the foil ones do, anyway), and the instructions could've been clearer in places.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion