KEEP! OR SELL?

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: KEEP! OR SELL?

Postby PrfktTear » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:39 am

Something like that Micronaut set I don't know if I could sell. I get sentimental about stuff like that. For instance, I have the ATHF 4-pack of minifigures with Frylock, Shake, and Meatwad plus the Mooninites. It wasn’t given to me but in addition to being a great little set I bought it direct from Palisades direct at Wizard World Boston ’05 (I think it was ’05). Another one is Pepsi Optimus Prime. I bought him at BotCon ’07 in Providence and although I’ve been tempted to sell him a number of times I don’t because I look at it as a “souvenir” because I bought it at BotCon.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby JamesLynch » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:49 am

Some of Palisades' exclusive weren't really killers, though. Like in their Muppet line, many of them were simply the same figure with the suit painted a different color, like Gonzo or Uncle Deadly.

It's when an exclusive is a completely different character/item, or a superior version of one released at retail, that I get upset. Mattel's really bad at this. Their retail DC line is built of 95% the same body parts and come with no accessories, but their SDCC figure will be a highly demanded character made of 100% unique tooling, with tons of accessories.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Tekwych » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:59 am

Being a Microman collector will break your need for exclusives VERY quickly. 34 exclusive figures in the first 4 year of the line, and this was in the 70s. The first Mego Micronauts Time Travelers had over 60 packaging variations because of color and chest plug so MOC is almost impossible to collect as well.

I just except that there are two separate collections. The Line and the exclusives. I can be a line completest if I want to be and never touch an exclusive or I can see the exclusives as a long term goal, something to pick up 5-10 years down the road.

If we're going to talk the pros and cons of collecting and exclusives we should start a thread and not hijack this one.

See if Noisy will split these comments out for us
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Its a worthy topic to discuss --- It's bad enough that in many cases exclusives are only available to people who attend the Cons but even then those folks who do have to jump through hoops just to get them.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:15 am

I've had Cybertron Soundwave in my "sell" pile for a while, but after taking him out of the bag to snap some pics I'm now contemplating keeping the figure. I'm not in love with it but I do have a Soundwave shrine, so part of me thinks I should resurrect him from the "sell" pile to the shelf! Thoughts?

He also comes with this neat Lazerbeak...

PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:36 am

Not my favourite version, either. But as a rabid Soundwave fan, I'm holding onto mine. Also, it's a nifty toy in and of itself, even though the transformation is fiddly and clunky. Nifty figure with loads of G1 callbacks in robot mode, a bomber that actually bombs in vehicle mode.

See? I'm crap at this thread.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:13 am

He's really not quite as terrible as I remember (not that he was ever really bad to begin with). To be honest I haven't really handled him in a few years. Maybe recent offerings have lowered my expectations? It's sad when Armada/Energon/Cybertron figure start to look good! ;-)

Another reason to keep, in addition to my Soundwave shrine I have a Grimlock shrine as well --- it's by no means complete but I've got a nice sort of symmetry going on where I have one of each incarnation represented, i.e. Animated, FOC, Robot Heroes, etc.

With that in mind I did a quick search and discovered there's actually an Energon Grimlock. Grimlock was released in a 2-pack with Swoop and they combine to form Mega-Dinobot. I'm just thinking down the road if I might want to acquire him then should hang on to Cybertron Soundwave. Grimlock review @ BWTF.com
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby JamesLynch » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:32 am

I have that Grimlock and, honestly, it's not worth tracking down. I loved it at the time, because it was the first time in a decade we'd gotten a G1-esque representation of Grimlock, but it's not a very good toy on its own merits. It's flimsy, lightweight, poorly engineered, poorly sculpted, the articulation's not great, he has no weapons (and his fist holes aren't even the standard size), and the combined mode is even worse than most Energon combiners. If someone held a gun to your head and said "keep these two Dinobots combined together for five minutes," you would die.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:31 am

Hrm... thanks for your honesty about Grimlock. I guess thus begs the question, does one slavishly buy a toy simply because it's a certain character --- or to pick and choose. I've developed a new mantra, "only collect what you love" --- there's just so much out there and there's a lot of junk --- even stuff you think is awesome right now, will it be 6 months from now? Or a year? Or five years? So it's important to not get hung up on less than awesome figures --- sorta like how I got all hung up on the ThunderCats figures, especially the 4" line, a scale I don't normally collect --- and while they were cool figures at the time now I sorta regret having picked them up (not to mention the time I spent hunting them).

This Energon Grimlock doesn't look much better than FoC Grimlock --- which is saying something, because that figure was a huge disappointment --- Then again I think that says more about FoC Grimlock --- Back to Energon Grimlock, by the pics I've seen he just looks way to small, he's all chest, no lower torso, and then the legs which appear to be bowlegged. At first glance he's unmistabkly "Grimlock" --- but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a good figure. The Rex mode looks decent though ---

He looks like a figure I wouldn't want to pay more than $15-$20 for on the secondary market --- and a quick glance at completed listings, the set goes for about $40 on eBay --- which is a bit more than I think I'd like to pay. I don't have G1 Grimlock, so I think if I were to plop down cash I would get that first before I got Energon Grimlock.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Bigbot84 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Whenever I see people posting about Grimlock, I always wonder if they missed out on the Masterpiece version. Each Grimlock I've seen released by Hasbro seems to be a poor attempt at mimicking the Masterpiece Grimlock.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion