KEEP! OR SELL?

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

KEEP! OR SELL?

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Here's a new thread I just thought of. Ever got something and you're not sure if you should get rid of it or not? Sound off here. The only thing thats worse than buyer's remorse is seller's remorse. For instance, I regret selling off my 12" ML Frost Giant. I needed money at the time and I just figured it'd be something that'd go quickly and catch me a fair amount of koosh.

First on my list is MOTUC Griffin --- It's still MOC (its from my MOTUC phase where I wasn't opening things). I'm almost positive I will be keeping it, but there's still a part of me that says "sell" --- Buuut, it's a great looking figure and looks even greater with Beast Man perched upon it.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Re: KEEP! OR SELL?

Postby JamesLynch » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:22 pm

I don't have a Griffon, but I wish I did. My finances were not so great around the time it was released, and now I live in an apartment where I already have too many figures to fit. I'd say hold on to that sucker.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:40 am

Griffin? Keep. If you bought several, I would say sell off all but one. But if you just have the one, I'd say it's probably a keeper.

But considering I still have some toys from when I was one, maybe mine is not the most reliable opinion.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Ideal » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 am

ive sold things that broke my spirit once they were boxed up, and ive sold things that i barely notice are gone, despite the hole it left in my collection.

i think the difference for me was necessity.

the things i sold because i desperately needed the money are the things that pained me to lose. it was stuff i would never have parted with under normal circumstances and to this day i feel like part of me is missing when look up and dont see them sitting on a shelf.

on the other hand, the things that ive sold because i didnt need them, or i traded for something that i perceived as "better", those absences dont really phase me much at all.
Ideal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JamesLynch » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 pm

I do regret getting rid of some things for something I perceived as better. When Batman Returns came out, I got the Batmissile Batmobile, so I gave my Super Powers Batmobile to my brother, because I "didn't need" it anymore. While I still love the hell out of the Batmissile Batmobile, I wish I still had the Super Powers one as well.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks for weighing in guys. I may keep the Griffin for now. It's a great figure!

I've been fairly luck about not having sellers remorse. There are only a few things I got rid of that once in a while I wish I kept --- like Classics Constructicons/Devastator. That was a neat set!

Next up on my list of "Keep or Sell" is the premium Voyager Megatron from the '07 Transformers movie. This was a Best Buy exclusive.

It's a neat figure, one of the better ones of the movie line --- but this is a culling and I'm not sure I need him any longer. I guess my only concern is that I may regret selling him off down the line. Thoughts? ;-)
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Well, do you still like that version, or has it been supplanted by a better version? Are you keeping it just because it's a store exclusive, or because you honestly feel it enhances your collection with its presence?

Now, if I could just unload the bazillion Luke, Vader, and Han versions I amassed which have all been surpassed by later releases . . . .
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:28 pm

OK here is one from my resent post in the B/S/T:
the Gold Baron Karza and Andromeda set. There are less than 100 of these sets produced. I have one open and on display and a second still sealed in box (the second was acquired when I bought the collection of someone getting out of the hobby). I am a firm believer that toys need to be in the hands of those that will appreciate them, and preferably play with them but this set was never sold, only given as a gift to a very select group of people. I know that these have been sold by others but there is a part of me that is very proud to have been part of the original group and don't want to spread these around (I need to feel special, you know :happy: )

So from the community, what are the pros and cons of selling this very exclusive thank you given to me by Palisades.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby JamesLynch » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:13 pm

I'd say personally get rid of that Megatron, but I'm not the person to ask in this case. I thought the TF movie toys were all complete garbage.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:41 am

That gold Micronauts set:

Well, apart from a blind-spot with army-builders, I personally feel that toys should be disseminated as widely as possible to get to the most fans. I've always hated exclusives, not only because of the expense and how hard they are to get, but because the root word is "exclude." As in "You can't have one, nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyaaah!" And Palisades was the worst company for exclusives, buttloads in each line, spread all over the internet and all points east. Trying to collect one of their lines went from being fun to being excruciating in a very short period. I'm not surprised -- sad, but not surprised -- that they went bust.

You could probably get a pretty penny for the extra set if you want to sell it, and be assured that it would go to someone else who would appreciate it at least as much as you do. Or, the longer you hold onto it, the more valuable (or not) it could get. Was never good at speculation. Depends on how much you can get for it and how much you need the money.

That wasn't much help, was it? };D
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion