Best Articulated Horses Action Figures?

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Best Articulated Horses Action Figures?

Postby timh_iat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:55 am

I use action figures as models when I draw. I draw a lot of people on horseback. Can anyone recommend articulated horses on the market (that also look good)?

I did a cursory search last night and She-Ra's horse winged horse (with the wings removed) looks really good.

There's a lone ranger horse out there that also looks decent (though I don't particularly care for the looks of the lone ranger doll).

[magic]
timh_iat
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Best Articulated Horses Action Figures?

Postby dayraven » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:12 am

well, lotr did a couple articulated horses that were very good, but probably not as articulated are you're after... another great one was the spawn "thunderhoof and bloodaxe" two pack... it's kind of pricey, but it's pretty and well articulated. then again, the horse is largely clad in armor and dressing, so it's not really useful for musculature or anything like that... i'd stick to swiftwind or the lotr horses for that.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby JamesLynch » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:18 am

There was a really nicely done horse for the Indiana Jones figure line from Hasbro, though it's only 1/18 scale, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to track down at this point.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby timh_iat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks for the responses. I found the Indian Jones figure MIB off Amazon for $30. Really nice figure.

Switft Wind is the awesome-est, but the Indian Jones horse has the realistic bridle kit.

Amusingly, I also searched around for wooden manniken horses designed explicitly for artists.

For the same scale, they clocked in at $90 to $150. But made with wood. The action figures are even more elaborate with bridals and such for 1/3 the price!
timh_iat
Ensign
Ensign

Postby manekochan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:15 am

Back in the day, the Headless Horseman box set was the really cool. http://www.oafe.net/yo/mcshb.php
If you can find one... and it's not broken... they are damn cool. There are a bunch on ebay for a fair price.
Brock: Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean: It's weird, right?
Brock: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby JamesLynch » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:04 pm

Dang. I'd almost forgotten the days when McFarlane figures had articulation. For the horse, at least.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:08 pm

I still have that horse! Something on him is broken though...
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby liokaiser_jlee » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:19 am

Figma Horses are coming. May top all others.
liokaiser_jlee
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby timh_iat » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:17 am

liokaiser_jlee wrote:Figma Horses are coming. May top all others.

I noticed that. Those horses look good! I plan to get one.

Also, the Kaiyodo Takeya KT Collection Kirin (which I received from Japan last week) has all of the articulation of a horse--so I can use that as a reference model.

Does anyone know if Vault will review it? (He reviewed Takeya's buddhist line. The KT Collection Okimono is an extension of that--inspired by the Edo-era (late shogunate period) small animal toys.

I could write a very dull review with pictures. A couple of friends with experience in Japanese lore (a Chinese Malaysian and an American enthusiast) think Takeya's Kirin has too long of a neck. But, I compared the figure, in my hand, to classical pictures and am satisfied with the likeness--though its mane is not as bushy as some drawings, such as the Kirin beer logo.

I believe that Takeya may have taken the Kirin back to its roots--historians speculate that the Kirin was inspired by the giraffe, which had entered China as gifts for the imperial menagerie in the 2nd century (see the wikipedia article).

The toy itself is very articulated, and can be posed in lithe, playful stances as the Kirin's personality is said to be.
timh_iat
Ensign
Ensign

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion