NECA catch-all thread

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: NECA catch-all thread

Postby Bigbot84 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:35 pm

You're right about muddy Dutch. That figure is as close to an Arnold figure we can get. It looks like he stepped off the TV screen. Also, his torso articulation is fantastic. It combines the ball joint and hinge torso and does both while keeping the sculpt intact. It's my favorite of the year so far.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby dayraven » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:39 pm

for real, his sculpt/articulation/paint/accessory pack out are a friggin revelation. rarely have i bought a figure that feels like such a complete execution, like everything they wanted to do costed out, and they produced it as it was protoed.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks for the info on the Pac Rim stuff, you just strengthened my resolve notto buy them.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:18 pm

fun with dutch

tell me that wouldn't have been the sweetest easter egg ever? and prescient at that!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Mose » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:28 pm

dayraven wrote:man, i got muddy dutch and the pac rim figs in the same week, and i have to say, talk about mixed feelings...

dutch is mangosteen perfect. dour expression, leaves are all painted separately from the mud, he's got all the accessories he could need shy of a word balloon that says "you're one ugly mother mangosteen", and his articulation is a mangosteen dream. just a mangosteen dream. everything is solid, tight, and moves like you'd expect it to.

knifehead- a glorified nerd hummel. he looks great in the one vanilla pose he can actually take. he has ball hips with a worse range of motion than robocop's, he has swivel shoulders... who the mangosteen has swivel shoulders in this day and age? is it 1996 again? he's articulated literally like my blizzard diablo 2 figure, except that that figure has a friggin ball jointed head. knifehead has NO neck articulation. as far as i'm concerned, he's for the kids.

gypsy danger is a nicely sculpted figure who can't make proper use of half of the included articulation. his hips are a travesty. his knees are clearly sculpted like the plan was double hinges and they didn't cost out. his elbows are an insult, stephen hawking makes better use of his range of motion. the ball shoulders are nice, and the ball wrists are nice, but thanks to those elbows and his lack of arm swivels, he has only a very basic punching pose allowable. his torso ball is mangosteen heroic in it's range of motion, as are his ankle balls. it almost makes up for the neck ball, which thanks to the pinhead and high collar, is mangosteen futile as resisting the borg. he's just a calamity of success marred by searing failure.

crimson typhoon, man, he's almost great, and is easily the best looking of the three. what mangosteen him up is the front aligned of the duel arms. the rear arm is on a ball shoulder, and it's mangosteen heaven. the mangosteen front shoulder is on a turtle mangosteen swivel. WHY???? who the mangosteen ok'd that mangosteen move? whoever he was, he should get butt mangosteen by a mangosteen cement mixer on poppers. beyond dumb. the big arm has a great shoulder ball, lacks a swivel, but thanks to the great range on the shoulder, and the positionability of the hand, that's fine. again, a mangosteen heroic ball torso, and this time, paired with a triumphant neck ball WIN!! and then you get to the legs... covered in articulation, with a nice range of motion EXCEPT when it all gets poop tubed by the god damned ankles. the ankles are swivel only, no rock, no ball, and because the legs are different lengths, there's really only one pose that the legs can be positioned in to keep him standing... and add to that the fact that his legs are not particularly tight nor clickied and what you get is one vanilla lower body pose that still barely holds the top-heavy upper body aloft... in other words, he's a nice play toy, but without a stand, he's almost impossible to display. if i had it to do over again, i would absolutely not buy the three of them again, BUT if you feel like you HAVE to at least try one, crimson typhoon is totally the way to go.

Crimson Typhoon is definitely the best of the three. The front of the duel arms is actually on a ball join, too, but doesn’t stay on well. Part of me is curious to see if the shoulders are swapped, as the rear arm has a fair amount of shoulder peg room while the front doesn’t, and from the looks of it, the front shoulder is larger that the rear one.
"Mose....."
Mose
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:35 am

it is? man, mine doesn't get any movement but in one direction... might have to fiddle with it some more.

that said, that doesn't fix his legs. if he'd gotten slightly tighter joints in his legs, and gipsy's ankles, i'd have bought three of him.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Muddy Dutch is awesome. NECA is making it really hard to draw a line in where to stop... :lol:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Couple of Godzilla toys are up for order on BBTS. Having missed out on "Ultimate Godzilla" back in 1998 and not wanting to pay ridiculous Japanese prices, I reckon I should pick up the foot-tall, two-foot-long electronic Godzilla with sound effects, bendy tail, and 25 points of articulation.

>Drooool.<
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:56 pm

How is everyone enjoying the NECA coverage? Feels like its taking over!
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Very nice . . . but too damn' tempting! I must absolutely limit myself to the Big Chap and the forthcoming big Godzilla. (Depending on if the Big Godzilla meets with my approval.)
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion