Poppies 2012

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Poppies 2012

Postby Tekwych » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Its that time agin. The ballot for The Poppies 2012 has been locked and posted. Head over and place your votes. Let us know what the Judges did right, and what we missed out on.

http://www.mwctoys.com/poppies_peoplespicks_2012.htm
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Re: Poppies 2012

Postby Ebonhorn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:54 pm

I was happy to see the NECA Predators on there. I'm glad they weren't overlooked.
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby dayraven » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 am

i was surprised to see the lack of write-in options this year... and commented as such in the end paragraph thing. that stings, cuz i feel like the nominees this year missed some key pieces. without write-ins, there's no way for the people's voice to be heard. [smile] just a suggestion.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Was cool to see IAT reviews linked from so many entries! [smile] [smile] [smile]

Didn't we (the people) get to vote on a couple "Worst" categories before, or has that always been judges only?

A few more comments:

I think the BAF category needs to be modified, maybe to include "large size" figures (meant for a small scale line) in general. I feel that the BAF idea isn't gonna be around with much prevalence for long. And for example, I definitely would've voted for Granamyr in that case. Despite some QC problems, I think he's much more impressive and accomplished than the list of BAF nominees.

Also, where were the PAKs??? One solitary Halo fig nod is not accurate representation by a long shot IMO.

It seems odd to me too that it looks like there's a concerted effort to "spread the love" and have mostly one figure only from each line per category, so you get some arbitrary choices in a good line (Phantom Gremlin? Sinestro?) or a forced entry from a line that really wasn't that great. IMO all the MEGO-style stuff doesn't stand a chance against modern designs, and maybe there should be a "soft goods" subcategory if those fans want to be able to recognize a release.

Looking back over the list of nominees though, I can't help but feel this has been a little lackluster overall, as the low-end stuff continues to narrow and fade.

(Judges need to make sure their bios are updated!! Just scanning through the list: Neitlich working on the "upcoming GL film" and Noisy starting IAT "this year" stood out to me, among others.)
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby Tekwych » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:Was cool to see IAT reviews linked from so many entries! [smile] [smile] [smile]

If Noisy can keep up the review roundup this year IAT could be a VERY popular place with judges. Lots of back and forth about when things were released and who had reviews of what.

Lay Ze-Man wrote:Didn't we (the people) get to vote on a couple "Worst" categories before, or has that always been judges only?

The judges have never done a worst list. We feel the Poppies themselves should honor the best of the industry. MWC does a worst list in the past and may or may not continue that side of things this year.

Lay Ze-Man wrote:I think the BAF category needs to be modified, maybe to include "large size" figures (meant for a small scale line) in general. I feel that the BAF idea isn't gonna be around with much prevalence for long. And for example, I definitely would've voted for Granamyr in that case. Despite some QC problems, I think he's much more impressive and accomplished than the list of BAF nominees.

Categories are in flux each year. Are there enough female figures to split to three groups or two? Are block figures just figures under 5"? Should BAF still be its own vote? Judges have to build the categories as well as the Ballot.

Lay Ze-Man wrote:It seems odd to me too that it looks like there's a concerted effort to "spread the love" and have mostly one figure only from each line per category, so you get some arbitrary choices in a good line (Phantom Gremlin? Sinestro?) or a forced entry from a line that really wasn't that great. IMO all the MEGO-style stuff doesn't stand a chance against modern designs, and maybe there should be a "soft goods" subcategory if those fans want to be able to recognize a release.

I, and others, feel that more than two figures from a single line will dilute the vote and ruin any chance of a win. A Lot of discussion goes into what figures should make the ballot and what combination of figures from a single line will best represent the line but not unbalance the voting. Also, I really like the MEGO-style (I'm that age remember). We try to make sure all tastes are represented.

Lay Ze-Man wrote:(Judges need to make sure their bios are updated!! Just scanning through the list: Neitlich working on the "upcoming GL film" and Noisy starting IAT "this year" stood out to me, among others.)

Judges write their own bios and are given several months to update them. Hit up the Matty Forums to call out Scott and head over to IAT to get Noisy off his but. (oh are we AT IAT? Is Noisy around or is he still unpacking? We LOVE you Noisy!!)

You guys have the list of judges. If you move in the same circles than let them know what figures you like. What figures we missed. What new categories we should consider and what companies we should be watching.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Just reading down the list of Judges, theres a nice cross section, many names I was familiar with, others not so much. Gives me an idea of some other sites I might want to look into.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:10 pm

So judges and public voting has closed for this year and while tallying up all those votes MWC has posted his own thoughts for best and worst of 2012. Go read and then comment on the choices.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:18 pm

And now we see the people's picks. Lot's of surprises here and some very interesting items made it into people's consciousness.

Now we wait to see what the judges think.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby zedhatch » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:14 pm

I mentioned earlier that I think collectors are starting to lose the love for the 4" scale action figure. Proof of that is the number of people voting on those figures - for both the female and male action figures, that scale had the smallest number of voters. That sounds like a trend to me

I have to humbly disagree here, I think with all the terrible news we keep geting about the 1:18th scale figures (lowered articulation and quality like IM3 line) creates a feeling of disillusionment.

This year was HORRIBLE for the 1;18th collector, Gi Joe was moved back (and then it was revealed some EXCELLENT figures were planned and never implemented due to the movie), Marvel Unvierse's releases were very scant, Avengers was a disappointing line overall (there were some winners in it though), most "non-Hasbro" lines were regulated to Target and TRU (and not everyone has one within driving distance). It was a HARD year for collectors of the smaller scale. Frustration alone would have an effect on the number of people voting, especially days after the IM3 news (Which is still being processed in the collective minds of fandom).

Just saying more is going on that meets the eye.
Scale Wars an action figure photowebcoic updated Mon-Fri celebrating 3 years in May
zedhatch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Tekwych » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm a 1:18 fan myself so I'm biased but I too believe that statement is wrong (It's a quote from MWC, by the by) In my opinion space and cost are going to drive everyone back to 1:18 every 7-10 years or so. You can't offer vehicles and playlets like in the TMNT line at 1:12 or 1:6. The Hot Toys Tumbler is great but it's the size of a coffee table and costs as much or more. The 1:18 scale was created in Japan when the 1:6 GI Joe line didn't sell because Japanese families did not have the space for accessories. These days the cost of plastic is making 1:18 the only reasonable scale cost wise*.

*My first Microman figures were a three pack for $1.99
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion