Gears of War Erector Sets

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Gears of War Erector Sets

Postby dayraven » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:58 pm

anyone buying any of these things? i'm seriously thinking of introducing my boys to the erector world w/ these things, as a sort of upgrade to their current lego stuff, which they're good w/, but i think they want something more challenging (or at least, my oldest does) just curious if anyone is building these sets and how they stack up as finished pieces.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Re: Gears of War Erector Sets

Postby Tekwych » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:02 am

I need to see them in person before I spend money. I have see their new space vehicle series and was very unimpressed. Space Chaos Gears of War

Have your kids worked through bigger Lego sets like the Imperial Flagship or Sopwith Camel or some of the bigger Technic sets? I would recommend taking a look at the Mindstorms sets. Take all your Lego and add motors, sensors, and the ability to program all the parts to work together using software that is robotics industry standards with a lego interface on top. The nice thing is once the kids branch out with their own designs they will need to start working out gear ratios, torque loads, and converting axle rotations into units of movement. I was able to get a seven year old to ask his mom to teach him geometry so he could design his robots.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Saw them in person today. (Buy 1 get the second at 40% off at TRU) they're well designed and look very good as finished models but most of the screws thread into parts rather then separate nuts. Strip one out and you can no longer assemble the toy. Also it looks as if the vast majority of the set is custom parts rather than a shell screwed onto an erector frame. I know this makes for a better design and more stable toy but it also means this is, for the most part, a stand alone product rather than a gateway to the rest of erector's line

Even at the sale price I did not buy in.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:47 am

Tekwych wrote:Saw them in person today. (Buy 1 get the second at 40% off at TRU) they're well designed and look very good as finished models but most of the screws thread into parts rather then separate nuts. Strip one out and you can no longer assemble the toy. Also it looks as if the vast majority of the set is custom parts rather than a shell screwed onto an erector frame. I know this makes for a better design and more stable toy but it also means this is, for the most part, a stand alone product rather than a gateway to the rest of erector's line

Even at the sale price I did not buy in.

yeah... that sounds then like i may pass. like i said, i'm looking for something that's kind of gateway into erector, and that doesn't sound like that so much. thanks tek.

as for your comment on the higher end lego pieces, the plan is to get there, i just thought erector kind of provides a nice segway from the basic legos to the working toy legos. some of those technic sets are damned expensive, i'd like the kid to know at least a little what he's getting into before dropping that kind of scratch... but of course, as he grows, lego can grow w/ him, so to speak... this is why lego is a toy company i never hesitate to support.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:05 pm

At the UK Toy Fair Meccano (Erector here in the US) announced that there would be a major overhaul in the line offing digital connection, new scales of play and new themes (licenses?) No pictures but maybe will get something from the US Toy Fair.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion