Storing Figures for Long Periods of Time

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Storing Figures for Long Periods of Time

Postby Bigbot84 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:26 am

Hey everyone. I recently moved out of my house I'm living in due to a working relocation, and I stored up all my figures in cardboard boxes with no protection. I'm currently living in a rental home until I've sold my old house. I'm hoping that by the time the 1 year contract is up, I would have already sold my house and have begun searching for some new digs.

However, I still need to keep my figures stored. I know having them in just cardboard boxes is bad so I purchased some 3x5 and 5x8 Ultra Clear acid-free bags from gtzip.com, but I had to buy them in quantities of 1000. They're awesome bags, but now that I'm running low, I don't think I'll need 1000 more of each for the remainder of my figures. Does anyone have any suggestions for any sites that sell acid free zip bags in lower quantities (I'm guessing 100 is the lowest which is fine), and if they have some larger than 5x8. I have some bigger figures like all my BAF's, CnC's, select Transformers, and Marvel Select figures that won't fit in 5x8. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Storing Figures for Long Periods of Time

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:27 am

Sorry, not up on where to purchase them. I might suggest eBay or Amazon --- you can get just about anything there!

You must have a pretty impressive collection if you blew through a thousand bags! =)
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Bigbot84 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I've done some more research, and I think I've found a site I can use: clearbags.com.

I didn't think I had as many figs as I did until I went through all the boxes (I packed them in pretty tight!). A lot of it is Marvel Legends and DCUC, but I also have MOTUC, Transformers from Beast Wars to now, NECA figs, video game figs, Marvel Universe, G.I.Joe, minimates, and other random figs that piqued my interest. If a figure had a re-sealable box I kept them in there for the move (like my Scarabus set, all my Japanese figs). Going through everything I've kind of re-evaluated what I should be collecting. Once I'm done cataloguing I may begin the process of selling off a large portion of my collection.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Its a good thing to do every once in a while. Just step back and put things in perspective. Take stock of what you've got and hopefully it will give you a better appreciation.

We've discussed this before too, but its a good topic to bring up once in a while!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Bigbot84 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Definitely. I find myself having around 4-5 different Spider-Mans, lots of Marvel and DC characters I can do without, and Transformers that I can't even recall their names from Armada on.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:25 am

Having multiples of characters is cool, but it also kind of bugs me. Variants are cool and figures made based on specific art are too, I guess, but once I have an "iconic" version of a character, every other incarnation is just second fiddle.

Take Optimus Prime for example --- in just the last five years how many different incarnations have been released just with Animated, Bayformers, Prime, Generations, RescueBots, etc? There comes a point where you stop collecting Transformers and just start collecting Primes. If thats your game, its cool though.

There has been an awesome number of TFs released --- again, if you look at just the last five years --- I bet the number of figures laps the original G1 figures released in the '80s 3-to-1.

I was never a huge fan of the Unicron Trilogy --- didn't really collect from them either. I'm coming to apprecate the design aesthetic and construction though. Todays figures are all ball joints and to be honest they just look cheap. You can go to a rummage sale and dig through a bin and find G1 toys that are in better condition than most TFs released today will be in a few years.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Bigbot84 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Yeah, that's the problem with ball joints. They allow greater poseability, but unless you never pose them the joints will wear down. I've never been a fan of G1 figs though even if they will last longer, they're like bricks to me.

I feel Cybertron is the best of the Unicron trilogy with Armada being the worst. I do like those designs the best like Vector Prime, Soundwave, and Optimus himself.
Bigbot84
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion