Playmates' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Playmates' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:06 pm

I look at some of those variants, like Star Trek Raphael and Troll doll Leonardo, and I wonder what illicit psychotropic substances they were ingesting at Playmates back then.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:I got the wind-up Mouser! [grin]

Did you like it? My friend had one, I thought it was a POS. The wind-up figures that went in the water were crap too.

Also, I can't decide whether the transforming mutating Turtles were a good idea or simply awful.

As far as what were they smoking? I don't know, but it had to be some reeeeeeeeal good starfruit. The same stuff Eastman & Laird, or whoever came up with some of those mutant characters!

I don't know if its just me, but a lot of TMNT characters are parodies.

The Turtles themselves were a parody of Daredevil. But then you have other characters, like Wingnut who is clearly a parody of Batman, Ground Chuck who is a parody of Deadshot (or at least pays homage to him visually), Muckman who is sort of a parody of Toxie from Toxic Avengers.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:05 pm

the late 80's/early 90's had some stellar toys... toxic avenger, TMNT, the fighting foodons, street sharks... well, i should amend, not every toy was great, but the weird and wacky was in full effect and i love weird and wacky. i love industrial waste and mutants derived thereof, and cyborgs of all kinds are welcome at my table... i love paranoid corporate culture, and the 80's had that cocaine fueled, action movie, kung fu acct with a razorblade briefcase battling android pizza guys and asian hookers with cuttlefish cunnies thing going, and i just loved every damned minute of it.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:13 pm

DR IS SO RIGHT! I miss weird toys, I mean really ache deep down in my black charred core miss them. I think that's why I like designer vinyl stuff. All the kids who loved that weird starfruit have gone on to just make their own weird starfruit.
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby dayraven » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:53 am

that said, seeing more of mr bob and mr steady, i will definitely be in full on acquisition mode. they look cool, and they lack the hand and foot articulation that was most people's gripes on the turtles themselves.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:31 am

Good point indeed about the 80's and weird figures, DR.

By comparison, today's action figure range it is like nothing but regular dudes just "waiting for the bus". [smile]

It's just a cultural thing, I think kids were just receptive enough to all the odd-ball, borderline gross-out kinda stuff (the whole Mad magazine and Garbage Pail Kids ethos that informed so much), and parents and such were just barely naive and out-of-the-loop enough to not be able to fully crack down on it til decade's end.

And yeah, the hands especially on those Classics TMNT are a bit annoying, but not a deal-breaker.
I would get a "Hand Pack" though if they offered. [domo]
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Got a question about the vintage TMNT Turtle Blimp --- Anyone have any suggestions on how to repair a leak on the inflatible portion of the blimp? I did a Google search, but I didn't come up with much --- albeit I just skimmed over the first few results, so I may need to do a little more digging.

The leak is coming from the bottom side of the blimp where it connects to the fuselage/flyer part via some pegs that stick in. It was rescued from a basement and the plastic itself is in good condition. I gave it a nice bath in some warm, soappy water to clean it up. The first time I blew it up I didn't notice any leak, but I'm wondering if it ripped when I took it off to wash that it may have started to tear.

I am thinking of getting my hands on one of those inner tube repair kits. Another thought was some poster putty or even just plain old Elmers Glue or clear nailpolish. I don't want to put anything on that might damage the plastic. Luckily its out of sight so I don't have to be too concerned about how it looks, but I do want to make sure it will attach to the flying machine part.

Thanks!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 pm

I my be wrong on this, so it'd be best to wait for others to chime in, but I think nail polish might be the worst thing you could use on such a toy.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:49 am

yeah, i wouldn't do nail polish, you'd need something that has a little give... maybe some of that flex seal stuff? use a wd40 straw to narrow the spray, use the white version so you can hit it w/ a little acrylic paint to match the blimp color. maybe... you know what else might work? a piece of balloon. hit the party store, get a balloon of the appropriate color, hit the surface w/ a little spray adhesive and trim the balloon to cover the hole.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:04 am

Ask at an RC hobby store. There are several model blimps out there and I'm sure they have patch kits for them. Some of thos hobbiests may take the project as a badge of honor.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion