New Fox Sports 10" Robots for 2012

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: New Fox Sports 10" Robots for 2012

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:41 am

Great review DR! I wanted to get mine up for the Pats/Ravens game last Sunday, but looks like that didn't happen. Kind of anti-climactic now, but still might be fun to get up for the Super Bowl.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:44 pm

ok, so a little weirdness on the ol' cleatus front...

i just bought a baltimore ravens version of the big guy, the 4th cleati i own. i got him in today, everything looked normal from the box (the purchase was american vendor on ebay), but on opening him, i was immediately struck by a looseness of the joints that i had never encountered before, and the feel of a much softer grade of plastic. the torso feels normal, though the ball chest joint is soft to move around (not loose, like i won't stay upright, but it moves with extremely little applied force) the arms move up and down easily too, but elbows are tight and still ratcheted. as i draw down to the wrists, this moves
now, i have always felt like there should be a joint there... it looks like there is, and it would make sense to built it there to hide it in the sculpt, but all of my previous bots, i've pushed, i've pulled, i've turned VERY hard and not a smidgen of wiggle. these move easily, and you can see the swivel inside the larger wrist "body" weird.

i get to the legs and his hips are soft, much easier to move around than any of the previous bots i own, and itry to move the mid-thigh swivels and the right leg pops right off the peg, largely because the material the thighs are made of is VERY soft, at room temperature no less! it pops right back on, and in so doing, i notice this
all three of my other bots have ball in socket hips, and they're VERY stiff. these move easily, not like floppy easy, but more in line with what i'd expect out of a ML or DCUC hip, soft and easy to move. the range of motion is still preserved well, but the overall joint feels less durable. the knees bend easily, though i can still feel some ratchet points, they just feel softer, and the ankles... the side to side and up and down is MUCH looser than my previous bots, and that will be a problem because these guys are very heavy. longevity in a display will not be this bots' strong suit, i can already tell. i rechecked the package to see if anything looked out of place or fishy, cuz my first thought was "i bought a knockoff" everything on the package looks identical to previous purchases, right down the holographic NFL logo sticker, and the figure itself isn't missing any articulation or showcasing a soft sculpt, which are usually dead give aways of a knockoff. i sent foamheads an email asking if there were any factory changes or design alterations or something... i don't know what i really expect them to say, when i started contacting them to research for the review, they acted like i was the first customer in the world who'd known they even made toys. [smile] but i'll keep y'all posted if i learn anything.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:28 am

so, they emailed back about 4 hours after i sent to them, requesting my home address to send a replacement figure, and a shipping label to send back the defective piece! the guy didn't address if the piece was a suspected knockoff or anything, but he did ask for the packaging so that they could track which factory made the item. you just don't get customer service like that anymore.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Customizer » Wed May 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Dayraven thank you very much for the detailed and informative post. I'm considering picking one of these up but in the past i've held off as i don't care for ball and socket (stikfas , minimates or xevoz style ball and socket) joints. I prefer hinge swivel . Now that i've seen your last picture above am i correct in assuming that all of the Fox robots have been updated with Hinge swivel hips instead of true ball socket? If so i'd like to pick one up.

Please let me know and thanks again for your post!
Customizer

Postby dayraven » Thu May 08, 2014 7:38 am

you are not correct in that assumption sir. to be totally honest, i don't entirely know, when i contacted the rep, they asked to have the figure, and if possible the packaging, sent back to them, which i did, and they mailed a replacement which is due to arrive this week. (the delay was my fault due to a miscommunication) this figure had a lot of QC faults, and the rep insinuated, though did not directly state, that it's a knockoff. i do some customizing myself, and i would not have kept the toy for that purpose, the plastic grade used was cheap and soft, and the joints were all around not sturdy at all. some of that could have been modded to work, some it would not have made a difference.

so concerning these bots, i don't truly know if the newer ones have a ball and socket hip or swivel hinge, though if you're patient, i could report back in the next few days when the replacement figure arrives. what i will say is this, if you don't luck out and the ball and socket is still the standard, these are the best ball and socket execution i've ever purchased... four times. they're tight, they're extremely solid, and they still have great range of motion. these are not ball and sockets meant to swap out or detach, i know, i've pulled... think a lot less like a stikfas or xevoz joint, and moreso like a motuc head, or a jakks pacific WWE hip... with boil and pop, you could probably remove the leg without enormous effort, but barring that, that hip is going nowhere. so if it's a stability issue, at least with the piece i had in hand, the ball and socket hip had it all over the hinge swivel combo.

obviously, your preference is your own, and i'm happy to report back when the replacement fig arrives to clarify further. at this point, i don't know if there's a new standard or not.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Customizer » Thu May 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Oh I'm all types of intrigued now lol.

I look forward to a post from you once you've received the replacement. Based upon what you've said i may end up tracking down both. I have a soft spot for bootlegs / KO's of varying quality :D both as custom bases i don't mind cutting up and as oddities. The Worst case scenario i can simply modify the ball and socket waist myself if i don't like it .

Have you been paying the (seemingly normal price) of $30 per or is there a better deal out there some where?
Customizer

Postby dayraven » Fri May 09, 2014 2:28 pm

close, i've paid between 25 and 27 bucks a pop, but found two of them locally, so i didn't have to spend for shipping on those. there are deals to be found, usually just after football season and post-xmas sales if you can find them locally. i know bed, bath and beyond, kohls, party city, academy sports stores, all carried them in the last year. the company rep told me TRU also, but i've never seen a 2.0 at TRU, only the 1.0. if you can find them locally, then you can wait out a storewide sale, or snag a coupon to save a few bucks.

my replacement should be here tues, i'll get pics up that evening. [smile]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Fri May 09, 2014 3:44 pm

I got Patriots Bot 2.0 for like $15 at BBB. Totally worth it!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Customizer » Fri May 09, 2014 6:46 pm

I'd pay $15 for a 10-12'' tall robot regardless of the brand. Excellent deal.
Customizer

Postby dayraven » Tue May 13, 2014 1:59 pm

well sir, the correct version has ball and sockets... i'll snag some pics here shortly. the poor guy selling them on ebay was a tad miffed at me when i mentioned it on his neutral feedback, though i pointed out, i don't blame him or feel like he's responsible... whoever pulled off that switcheroo did a bangup job, the packaging looks totally legit. i also got a little surprise i will share when i take photos...
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion