Buyer's Remorse

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Buyer's Remorse

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:27 pm

I've thought about grabbing a Gizmo a few times...



The site is kinda putting me in a weird funk. It's pretty much destroyed my "display" collection because I 'can't be bothered' to put every single thing back after I use it for a photoshoot. Somehow, not having the big giant display, but rather stacks, tubs, and piles is slowly talking me out of purchasing stuff. I really need to take a few days off and put the displays back together. I'd feel better.

(I know that isn't buyer's remorse, but it does increase my buyer's remorse for just about everything!)
User avatar
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Buyer's Remorse

Postby Tekwych » Mon May 07, 2012 10:44 pm

I limit my displays to about 25% of my collection and take a three day weekend every 3-4 months to rotate things, putting away what I have had out and rediscovering items I have not had out in quite some time. It also let's me reevaluate holes in the collection and redefine where my dollars should be going

I have been spending very little on new figures these days concentrating on finding those things from 3, 5, 10, or even 30 years ago that have eluded me.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
User avatar
Tekwych
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1307
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Buyer's Remorse

Postby dayraven » Tue May 08, 2012 7:40 am

Tekwych wrote:I limit my displays to about 25% of my collection and take a three day weekend every 3-4 months to rotate things, putting away what I have had out and rediscovering items I have not had out in quite some time. It also let's me reevaluate holes in the collection and redefine where my dollars should be going

I have been spending very little on new figures these days concentrating on finding those things from 3, 5, 10, or even 30 years ago that have eluded me.


any particularly good scores lately? i'm always curious where people find good deals on older toys... like if craigslist, for example, is any more effective or efficient than just hitting garage sales or flea markets.
Prying open my third eye
User avatar
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast
 
Posts: 6546
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:27 am
Location: the darkest recesses of the primordial human brain

Re: Buyer's Remorse

Postby Tekwych » Tue May 08, 2012 11:08 am

eBay and specialized web sites for the most part. Creating searches for key words and key misspellings allow one to spot an item that even the owner is not sure of. Finding a specialized web site or collectors group is my favorite. I am known within the Microman community for buying complete collections when other collectors are ready to retire. It is a great way to fill holes, swap out items for better quality, complete missing accessories and build up trade items. Getting duplicates in the lots offer those trade items or, better yet, the opertunaites to introduce older lines to new people.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
User avatar
Tekwych
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1307
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Buyer's Remorse

Postby PrfktTear » Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am

NoisyDvL5 wrote: Ya know, there is a small part of me that still wants that Gizmo --- the same part that wants NECA’s E.T. but I just know I don’t need them.


I can definitely empathize with you o n the giant stacks of tubs --- its kind of depressing, actually. But like what Tekwych said, by taking the time to go through everything, I’ve been finding more enjoyment in stuff that I already have as opposed to the next score. I haven’t bought anything for myself in months, really. I think I have a much better grasp on things now than I did six months or a year ago.

As far as displays go --- don’t even try to display everything all at once. Unless you have the room (and it sounds like you don’t) just put a few things out and then every few weeks/months switch ‘em out. I was WAY overdue to update my display, something I just had neglected to do for quite some time. I’m happy I did though.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:11 pm
Location: Boston, Ma

Re: Buyer's Remorse

Postby Poe Ghostal » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:27 am

NoisyDvL5 wrote:I've thought about grabbing a Gizmo a few times...

The site is kinda putting me in a weird funk. It's pretty much destroyed my "display" collection because I 'can't be bothered' to put every single thing back after I use it for a photoshoot. Somehow, not having the big giant display, but rather stacks, tubs, and piles is slowly talking me out of purchasing stuff. I really need to take a few days off and put the displays back together. I'd feel better.

(I know that isn't buyer's remorse, but it does increase my buyer's remorse for just about everything!)


This happened to me in early 2011. Before then, I used to open everything right away. But right around then, stuff started to pile up - stuff that was MOC, sitting around in closets forever. I was buying stuff purely to review on the site, then letting it sit while I wavered on whether to even keep doing PGPoA. This was a new thing for me - I had never let stuff sit around.

Since then, I've had to work hard to keep the site interesting by only posting what I want to post, stuff I'm excited about, rather than what I feel obligated to post about/review. I'd rather have fewer, better posts than more posts with uninspired writing.
User avatar
Poe Ghostal
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: Buyer's Remorse

Postby TSR » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Poe Ghostal wrote:This happened to me in early 2011. Before then, I used to open everything right away. But right around then, stuff started to pile up - stuff that was MOC, sitting around in closets forever. I was buying stuff purely to review on the site, then letting it sit while I wavered on whether to even keep doing PGPoA. This was a new thing for me - I had never let stuff sit around.

This is actually a great thing for me right now. I need cash and I'm opening boxes from our move late last year with MOC toys that are going straight to ebay.
User avatar
TSR
Commander
Commander
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:19 am
Location: Northern VA

Re: Buyer's Remorse

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Poe Ghostal wrote:
This happened to me in early 2011. Before then, I used to open everything right away. But right around then, stuff started to pile up - stuff that was MOC, sitting around in closets forever. I was buying stuff purely to review on the site, then letting it sit while I wavered on whether to even keep doing PGPoA. This was a new thing for me - I had never let stuff sit around.

Since then, I've had to work hard to keep the site interesting by only posting what I want to post, stuff I'm excited about, rather than what I feel obligated to post about/review. I'd rather have fewer, better posts than more posts with uninspired writing.


:lol: If anyone ever needs an "enabler" to buy toys, having a toy review site is just about the perfect one!

I've been good (for the most part) about buying things only to review them - though it does combine in a weird way with my completist bug on DCUC & MOTUC. There were some variant DCUCs that I really didn't need, but between wanting a comprehensive review checklist and the old "get 'em all" compulsion, I do have them all save the Tuxedo Joker 2pk - and that's mostly because I've never found one painted well enough for me to buy.

One thing that does slay me is that habit of keeping things in the package until "review time". I've got four Avengers figures (in multiple scales :roll: ) still unopened and I still haven't gotten to open all the Joes I got for Christmas! :lol:

Between the unopened toys, the destroyed display, and the DC Implosion, I've definitely been in a "nerd funk" of late.

TSR wrote:This is actually a great thing for me right now. I need cash and I'm opening boxes from our move late last year with MOC toys that are going straight to ebay.


I so need to do this. [sweat]
User avatar
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Buyer's Remorse

Postby Costume Contumely » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:30 am

Poe Ghostal wrote:Since then, I've had to work hard to keep the site interesting by only posting what I want to post, stuff I'm excited about, rather than what I feel obligated to post about/review. I'd rather have fewer, better posts than more posts with uninspired writing.

Yeah, I think that's the way to go. It takes so much time, and unless you're getting paid it's hard to motivate oneself to create "obligatory" content. I say just put up what interests you. I think doing that also helps shape your individual site's "voice", if you will.

Anyway...I don't get buyer's remorse too often, because I'm good at resisting purchases. Last one I think was Young Justice Robin. It's a fine figure, but one I have absolutely no need or desire for, AND it was severely overpriced. In the end, I had to admit to myself that I paid over $25 for a clip on holo-computer accessory.

Oh, and does Rocket Red count? I mean, I had no choice because of the subscription, but boy do I not want him. :lol:
User avatar
Costume Contumely
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Buyer's Remorse

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:01 am

Costume Contumely wrote:Oh, and does Rocket Red count? I mean, I had no choice because of the subscription, but boy do I not want him. :lol:


So maybe that would count as a teeny bit of subber's remorse? [grin]
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
User avatar
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...
 
Posts: 3978
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:06 pm
Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zzGoogle [Bot] and 3 guests

Latest Headlines

ItsAllTrue.Net

cron