Buyer's Remorse

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Buyer's Remorse

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:18 am

Buyer's remorse is the sense of regret after having made a purchase.

I did a quickie search and didn't find a thread relating to this. Have you made any purchases that have given you buyer's remorse?

I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to keep NECA Gizmo, who I picked up at TRU about a month ago but still have not opened. Its been in the exact same spot in its back since I took it home. Should there maybe be some sort of statute of limitations where if you don't open something within "x" amount of time you probably didn't need/want it in the first place?

If I remember correctly I was hesitant even while buying it. I like it, I think its cute, but I'm not sure if its a toy I need in my collection. I'm not exactly a huge Gremlins fan, I don't think I've seen either film in about ten or fifteen y ears. Do I really need to say more? I probably should just return it, shouldn't I? Its not like they're hard to come by if I change my mind later on.

Thoughts?
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Re: Buyer's Remorse

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:59 am

The only time I usually have any sense of buyer's remorse is with eBay when I get something poorly packaged, or late delivery, or in condition not accurately described, because I *HATE* going through the process of e-mailing the seller or filing complaints. It all sucks. The few instances it's happened, the seller's are usually defensive with lame excuses aplenty. But as I say, that's not really the same thing, but I do feel kinda like "Why did I even bother?" when it happens.

I guess my decision process is already pretty thorough leading up to what I purchase, because there is SO much I do want, and only so much I end up getting, that the things I get I almost always want quite a bit. And if I buy something and find I no longer want/need it, I just throw it on a BST thread, or eBay it, or gift it.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Most of my purchases are pretty well thought out in advance. Of course it’s also a matter of when and where the purchase is made that is a factor. There is definitely a lot that I DO want, like the upcoming NECA Evil Dead figures, so I guess my thought is that if I have this thing that I’m only so/so on, why bother to tie up money and shelf space on something that might just end up in storage or being sold off.

I’ve been selling more stuff on eBay lately and I always try to accurately describe the item being sold. If it’s a loose figure and some of the joints are loose I will not it. If something is MOC and there are a few dings or dents I will come out and say “If you are a MOC collector this may not be for you”. I also almost always post actual pictures of what I’m selling. Very rarely will I just yank a photo from a web site or someone else’s auction.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Xylob The Destroyer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:21 pm

my 'extra' DCSH Doomdsay and my 'extra' DCUC Superman Red...
Xylob The Destroyer
Chief
Chief

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:16 pm

I get this all the time. :lol: I blame the website for encouraging me to be more completist than I normally would be.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby TSR » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:11 am

I'm only able to get buyer's remorse online these days. When at retail, I pick it up and go straight to the check out. If I find myself sort of wandering the store, I realize that I didn't really want it and I put it back. Always works for me.

Online though, I've bought some things that I then regretted once they arrived. Like I paid too much for Toynami's Zoidberg the other day on ebay. I like the figure, but I'm really not comfortable with what I spent now that I have him in hand.

I imagine I'm going to have some regrets with my first foray into Matty subscriptions this year since I had always cherry picked in the past.
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby Xylob The Destroyer » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:20 am

Xylob The Destroyer wrote:my 'extra' DCSH Doomdsay and my 'extra' DCUC Superman Red...
actually, all of my "extra" figs - anything that's still MISP/MOSC....
That and my Kenner Hunter/Prey 2-pack - my gawd these are crappy figs.
Xylob The Destroyer
Chief
Chief

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 pm

I bought NECA Gizmo about a month ago and never as much touched it. I returned it Friday and I felt much better.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 pm

PrfktTear wrote:I bought NECA Gizmo about a month ago and never as much touched it. I returned it Friday and I felt much better.

i'm curious... why? he looked fun, but i think a lot of that lie in the posability, which you wouldn't have known without taking him from the package? not judging, just curious why the change of heart.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:36 am

I just decided I didn't want him. Even when I bought him I was unsure about it, but I thought it was what I wanted.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion