Toy Hunters on travel channel

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Toy Hunters on travel channel

Postby zedhatch » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:00 am

I couldn''t find a topic on this, but the Travel channel broadcast this show about a week ago. It was interesting, not perfect but not bad either. There were some interesting moments like when a Kenner enginer revealed there were two versions of the Rocket Fire Boba Fett. There were moments with designers, ect. Possibly could be picked up as a series but nothing confirmed.

I just read on Hisstank that the show is getting repeated again this Sunday at 6 pm (travel channel of course) so if you missed it you have a second chance.

As I said it wasn't perfect, there was a bit of too much focus on money for my tastes but I wouldn't mind seeing it go on a weekly basis either. Kind of an American Pickers but with toys. Everything from Six Million Dollar man to Star Wars and Thndercats were in this thing too.
Scale Wars an action figure photowebcoic updated Mon-Fri celebrating 3 years in May
zedhatch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Re: Toy Hunters on travel channel

Postby TSR » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:14 pm

I turned it off fairly quickly. The primary guy comes off as greasy to me. And I understand that he's a business man and he's out to make a buck but I take no enjoyment in watching people sell things for way too low so this guy can make a profit. I am a bit mystified that guy could have those MASK toys for all these years but never once thought to look at ebay?
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Tue May 28, 2013 8:15 pm

has anyone noticed that this season, the plethora of PRISTINE packages pretty much blows any air of credibility the show might have had?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby JamesLynch » Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 am

dayraven wrote:has anyone noticed that this season, the plethora of PRISTINE packages pretty much blows any air of credibility the show might have had?

I've never watched this show (never actually heard of it before), but when are the toys in the pristine packages from? Starting in the early-mid 90s, toy collecting became as much of a speculator market as comics, so everybody and their mom was keeping everything MOMC. If they're older than that, I suppose they could just be getting lucky. It's been known to happen. I remember back in the late 90s hearing about someone who found a sealed case of Megos.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Tekwych » Wed May 29, 2013 10:56 am

Most of the 'finds' on the show are people that have been know to Jordan for some time. The sellers are paid for their time on camera and it is suggested that they sell low and make up the difference with the air time fee. The finds are real in that the people do have these items squirled away and do sell them to Jordan but the conversations are maped out ahead and talking point agreed upon.

When all is said and done the show is marketing for Jordan's brand and nothing more. At least you all seam to be able to exactly who and what Jordan is. Tell him to his face at the next con.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Wed May 29, 2013 12:10 pm

I think most people realize by now how staged and pre-scripted pretty much every "reality" show is.

So I don't really care about arranging deals ahead of time or whatever.

(Though they shouldn't pretend like they "found" something when they obviously already knew they owned Rare Toy X and that's why they came to film...)

What I DO care about is Jordan being sold as an "expert" when he routinely is ill-informed, says names wrong, etc.

And that bleeds into other things too like showing Toyguru and saying he's the go to expert for all things MotU, when he's not anywhere NEAR that. Pretty much all his "knowledge" of MotU comes from the fans providing it for him because he's a Mattel employee and MotU fans wanted to brownnose. Then throw in the fact that they neglected to mention Scott is a brand manager at Mattel and the whole show just reeks of disinformation, which is the biggest crime.

A show like this should be about the toys themselves and give us real info about who created them and why fans like the stuff. The sales aspect should be the tiniest aspect and completely misses the point. Same thing with Comic Book Men that focuses almost entirely on the dollar value of collectibles with little regard to WHY people want to pay money for this stuff.

It's a terrible show. I have no idea why I watch it. :lol:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby dayraven » Wed May 29, 2013 1:51 pm

let me say first to james... it's 60's and 70's toys too, where he'll find a 6 million dollar man or a stretch armstrong in PRISTINE boxes that haven't even yellowed. in the first two seasons, he found toys that looked like real toys, where he might find a mego loose, or a big jim thing in package, but the box is faded and yellowed and has clearly seen some wear. this season, man, no matter what he's got, TMNT, sectaurs, manglors, whatever, every single box is flawless... with the sole exception of the loose wonder bread he-man he found, cuz having that in box would have been a complete lie.

that said, i caught the rerun of that episode, where he finds the wonder bread he-man, and as jordan is introducing scott as "the guy to go to for all things masters of the universe," i looked over at my wife and said "what he means by that is, all things found in the power and honor book."
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby zedhatch » Wed May 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:I think most people realize by now how staged and pre-scripted pretty much every "reality" show is.

Seriously with so much said on this subject in other areas I am shocked to hear anyone believes "reality" TV anymore. Some are more convincing than others but really I think they all stage. Don't believe it then notice how Ghost HUnters went for years without being able to hear the voices they were hearing then suddenly (after their message board was bombarded with questions about that fact and received answers about how the camera equipment couldn't pick up the noice of ghost to which they got slammed with comments about EVP and other things) you can hear them after season 5, funny eh.

Survivor had a season that was clearly on a sound stage, Family guy poked at it.

The "love" shows are totally re-edited. I know one had audio of one of the brochettes and the guy making out. Turned out to be she kissed him on the cheek and modulated to make it sound like moaning and kissing (which was happing off camera of course, only audio was played).

I have yet to see a reality show that looks real. They never miss a "Surprise moment" that happens out of no where, the camera angle shifts to such a way there has to be muliple takes and not two camera coverage (you'd see the other camera if that were the case). There are so many signs I can't believe people don't see it.
Scale Wars an action figure photowebcoic updated Mon-Fri celebrating 3 years in May
zedhatch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:42 pm

That show scares me, but I'd totally go on as an "expert". :lol:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion