Wrestling and MMA figure... Let's Get it On!!

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Wrestling and MMA figure... Let's Get it On!!

Postby dayraven » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:39 pm

for those who may have forgotten or didn't know, monday is sale day for the mattel andre fig.

i'm fighting great reservations on buying... i LOVE andre and have been supportive of a super articulated version since we started getting SA figs. and i've been happier w/ mattel's wwe stuff than most of their non-wwe stuff in the last couple years.

but...

the face sculpt is bad. it's just not andre. not even close. and despite the advertising that this is the largest WWE fig they've ever made, it sure as hell looks like the big show buck to me. and while andre wasn't titanically larger than show, he was differently proportioned enough to warrant his own buck... after all, he IS the eighth wonder of the world! putting him on a buck body is already disrespectful. and really, like, if he actually is noticeably bigger than show, is that right? he was only about 4 inches taller at his tallest, but he was on crutches at that point and wouldn't have been seen completely upright anyways. the guy was titanic in spirit, sure, but if the actual fig came out like swamp thing sized, that would seem cool in one sense, and yet lame in another... so what's the right answer? i have 24 hours to decide, but i really feel like i may pass.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:47 pm

I'll have to check it out. Andre is such an icon in his own right. A true gentle giant. Plus I'd have him square off against Hulk Hogan!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby TSR » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:52 pm

The only Andre I'll ever need. Many a good story to tell while he was at my side (so long as I still remember the story the following day)

TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 pm

TSR wrote:The only Andre I'll ever need. Many a good story to tell while he was at my side (so long as I still remember the story the following day)

that is excellence right there man. worthy of the Man!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:24 pm

i broke down and snagged one... i just love andre too much to pass but before purchase, i did some surfing and seeing some non-mattel photos of the figs assuaged my concerns somewhat. the resemblance is still not perfect, but better than their press photos showed, and he is indeed gigantic, and i'm pretty ok w/ that... i know it's accurate, but it "feels" right, that he should be the biggest guy. he certainly had the biggest personality. kind of curious ordering post-"release day" and seeing how easy it went. i'm curious to see if the order experience for this is any different that my motuc experiences, because while it's still matty collector, i've kind of been under the impression that it's the motuc team making the experience really blow... we'll see how much blame dig riv actually warrants. certainly, not having to wait for the WSOD was already a big plus.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Mattel seems to think that good photography just isn't important when it comes to marketing.

"I want you to buy this, so I'm going to show you a teeny-tiny thumbnail with a watermark on it!" - :matty:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:58 pm

i cracked, and andre should be hear tomorrow... i'll try to snag some slightly better pics for y'all.

i couldn't help myself, the big guy was not only huge, he was fezzik. i mean, he was one of my favorite actors and my favorite wrestler ever, it was kind of in the cards.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:09 pm

I hear ya, even I kinda wanted one. I'm just spending way too much money lately.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:46 pm

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 1302_n.jpg

a little size comparison... 'dre is indeed bigger than any of the other WWE figs. my show is packed currently, but here he is next to sheamus, who is on the larger buffed buck, and next to a jakks stevie richards who was made in a larger scale and andre's still bigger. i think the man himself would be proud of the stature, if not the face sculpt. reminds me of steve "brooklyn brawler" lombardi moreso than 'dre, but it's mattel... providing the fig doesn't spontaneously combust, i'll consider it a win. now, i need to tailor the guy some pants and a shirt and i'll have a choice of how to display! YAY!!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:46 pm

I saw a Papa Shango figure the other day. I don't collect these but I was hella tempted to pick it up. In fact --- I just might if he's still there this Fri, we'll see.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion