Wrestling and MMA figure... Let's Get it On!!

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Wrestling and MMA figure... Let's Get it On!!

Postby dayraven » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:55 pm

RIP luna vachon.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:49 am

BTW, dominant boxer chumpified and twatted by over the hill mma legend... commence Gloatfest Aught 10!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:12 am

It was spectacular wasn't it!
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby dayraven » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:15 pm

Ebonhorn wrote:It was spectacular wasn't it!

in a sense... it was exactly what i expected to happen, so it wasn't a surprise, but it was spectacular. he did exactly what he needed to do. i was scared to death he was going to lead w/ his ego and try to stand up w/ toney. i'm glad he didn't.

and i admit, i doubted frankie edgar against a properly motivated bj penn... i will never doubt frankie edgar again.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 am

I liked how humble Couture was about the entire thing. Didn't need to be. :lol:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:18 am

NoisyDvL5 wrote:I liked how humble Couture was about the entire thing. Didn't need to be. :lol:

that's why he's Captain America. (seriously, that's one of his nicknames... and he, i think, would have been fine to actually play captain america, but that's another story.)
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:26 pm

question for our glorious site runners and patrons of IAT: have any one of you snagged a mattel wwe fig, if for nothing else than comparison to the sacred cow DCU figs? i truthfully think that the standards mattel has in play for that line would shed some insight on some the decisions in play w/ DCU. plus, they're kind of just cool toys, whether or not you're a wrestling fan. for real, pick two figs, snag 'em up, give us a review... i dare ya! [grin]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Mose » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:33 pm

dayraven wrote:question for our glorious site runners and patrons of IAT: have any one of you snagged a mattel wwe fig, if for nothing else than comparison to the sacred cow DCU figs? i truthfully think that the standards mattel has in play for that line would shed some insight on some the decisions in play w/ DCU. plus, they're kind of just cool toys, whether or not you're a wrestling fan. for real, pick two figs, snag 'em up, give us a review... i dare ya! [grin]

There are four WWE Basic figures under the roof as of now (bought in order):

- Christian – Series 8 Basic line (Brother picked him up due to being a fan of him. I like him as well. A great veteran with a lot of experience and it shows. Also like the designs on his ring attire.)

- Kane – Series 8 Basic line (Surprisingly accurate head sculpt with a great scowl and like the design of his ring attire. I’ll admit I’d like to have a figure of him back when he wore his iconic mask. Also like the size of the figure.)

- R-Truth - Over the Limit Basic line (Crazy Truth has been a riot to watch and is one of the best things about Raw right now with the other wrestler being CM Punk. Also like the design on his pants.)

- Big Show - Over the Limit Basic line (Another surprisingly accurate head sculpt and like the size of the figure as well. The head has a nice growling look to it. Last time I saw him wrestle was as “The Giant” on WCW.)

The plastic quality of the WWE Basic figures seem to be significantly more durable and of much higher quality compared to DCUC, especially some of the latter DCUC waves, even some MOTUC figures in certain cases. The plastic also seems to be more resistant to warping though I’m sure the vanilla in package posing helps. Funny story, when I got both Kane and later on Big Show it looked like the inner tray was pushing their biceps out of the shoulder socket. A day later their biceps looks like they completely fixed themselves.

The paint qualities of the WWE Basic figures tend to be much cleaner than most DCUC figures, again even most MOTUC figures. The tattoos themselves are clean and are very sharp. The ring attire designs like R-Truth’s name down his pant legs and the designs on Christian’s thighs are very sharp and clean. The design around Christian’s waist is a bit sloppy but given that the design wraps around the entire waist I can easily forgive that.

The only category DCUC wins in is articulation (though I don’t have any WWE Elite or Legends figures to compare). Though again some of the DCUC (and MOTUC) figures I got either had gummy, loose and/or stuck joints (in MOTUC’s case mostly loose and/or stuck joints) while I didn’t need to fix any problems on the WWE Basic figures.

Coming from someone who has no attachment to either line I’d say the WWE figures fair better but they may be due to the WWE lines possibly having actual quality control. Overall I like them and am glad to have them as part of my collection.

@ dayraven: How long have the WWE Mattel lines been going on for?
How does the Elite and Legend lines compare?
"Mose....."
Mose
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:09 pm

mattel picked up the WWE license in 2010. so not even two full years yet, and there are a buttload of chsaracters made already, though a cubic buttload still to go.

as for the elite and legends figs, imagine what you have, only more articulation, and more accessories. i truly didn't want any of them, and i now own 10 of them? (sorry, memorry might be missing a couple) and they're great. the accessories are of better quality than the jakks stuff was, no two ways around it, and not goofy... i HATED getting the launching sledgehammer or the contract firing briefcase from jakks' deluxe figs, but getting a triple h w/ t shirt, water bottle and in scale sledge hammer? i almost busted a nut. i've been very happy w/ the purchases i've made thusfar and it pains me to say cuz it's friggin' mattel. but i can't deny, i like the figs... and if you enjoy the basic figs, i almos hesitate to recommend the elites/legends figs, cuz they're definitely habit forming. you've been warned mose. [smile] glad to hear you're enjoying the figs though.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Mose » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:58 am

I actually picked up Defining Moments Macho Man Randy Savage last week for $40 up here. He’s a great figure, but he’s not $40 great. I’d say more along the lines of $30.

My brother’s birthday is coming so I managed to get him Wave 1 Elite Undertaker and Wave 6 Elite CM Punk as he’s a fan of both.
"Mose....."
Mose
Commander
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion