Wrestling and MMA figure... Let's Get it On!!

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Wrestling and MMA figure... Let's Get it On!!

Postby dayraven » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:37 am

i figured it was time we got a thread dedicated to the figures of our favorite combat sport athletes/performers... so whether you're into boxing, wrestling, mma, K1, or sanshou, if it's got figures (or you recently enjoyed a little PPV or live attendence performance) gab about it here!!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Re: Wrestling and MMA figure... Let's Get it On!!

Postby dayraven » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:50 am

personally, i'm a little pissed that mattel is taking the cheap way w/ the WWE stuff... they've included accessories only w/ elite figs and the few rings they've released already... so kid's don't like accessories? it's not like they won't get a TON of mold re-use out of some of those, a kendo stick or a chair could get mileage for days... or is the denail part of the "friendlier, PG" WWE product? hell, bryan danielson just got canned for fake-choking justin roberts on air... what a CROCK! so it's ok for a 7 foot guy to toss people bodily 10 feet to the ground over the top rope, and we can slam another human being through an annouce table face first and that guy can perform again next week... but a fake choke, that's just out of line! :roll: thank god jakks gave us years of good accessories to fall back on.

that said, what the hell is jakks doing w/ the TNA figs? so, they can reuse molds for DA bodies to make new guys w/ minimal new tooling, BUT they can't pack in any of the accessories that they're famous for AND that their competitors aren't giving w/ their product? you'd think for "they're not giving you extras" purposes alone, jakks would have crammed that first couple waves w/ accessories.

lastly, we have jakks doing the UFC line... they're not the greatest toys ever... but they are relatively sturdy, well articulated, and the cheapest large scale toy line on the market right now. i know the case could be made that MMA is just now reaching into general consciousness, so this line may be jumping the shark a tad, but i'm happy thusfar. there aren't a ton of names i'd buy, but the ones i've bought, i'm enjoying.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:46 am

STICKIED? STICKYED? STICKED? STUCK? :noisy: :?:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:51 am

NoisyDvL5 wrote:STICKIED? STICKYED? STICKED? STUCK? :noisy: :?:

well, stickied would follow the rules for tensing a verb... but tech speak has obilerated most of the conventions of spelling and grammar in american english. hell, spelled qzod and somehow, someone, someone, will start using qzod to spell stickied.

why do you ask though?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:46 am

It was more of an announcement of my stickying it. That's how those blasted toy threads get up here y'know.

So wrestling figures. A whole aisle? Really? :lol:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:13 am

NoisyDvL5 wrote:It was more of an announcement of my stickying it. That's how those blasted toy threads get up here y'know.

So wrestling figures. A whole aisle? Really? :lol:

at one point, yes. right now, the WWE is the only major franchise directing itself at kids AND collectors simulataneously, and as of the jakk's years, they were selling a literally starfruit ton of toys. they had found the golden median between collector friendly variants and chases figures, and the kid friendly case ratio. it was and is unprecedented. you had a line where any kid could walk into any store and get a triple h, a john cena, a rey mysterio... but a collector could walk into a store and get the powers of pain or giant machine. that's kind of epic. imagine, for a second, if you could walk into a store, and find superman and batman next to kamandi and detective chimp on the pegs, you could find large scale playsets like the hall of justice that could work, but if you were willing to spend more, you could buy a real scale fortress of solitude that came w/ green crystal stacks, a de-powering room, the kryptonian projection TV w/ a giant cut out of brando in a bad wig, and cape traps for any invading negative zone criminals? you pee yourself nightly! that's what wrestling fans got. and as such, we buy the starfruit out of those products. quite seriously, if you were a dedicated jakks fan over the last decade, you'd need another house just to house all the goodness, and you'd have playsets and accessories enough to equip a school full of kids w/ play toys.

now, thusfar, mattel is still only in their first year, and only about halfway through it, but i've yet to see them really jockeying to fill the shoes they just took over. don't get me wrong, in scale wrestlers, and deluxe ricky the dragon steamboats are a REALLY nice way to start things off, but so far, there's been nothing to lure hardcore jakks fans to the table. my big wrestling fan friend and i are still split on the toys. i first bought an undertaker to give the line a chance, and in comparison, we both found various things we liked and disliked over the figure. he fell on the side that he found more to dislike than like, i went the other way. but i certainly acknowledge his points, and from his POV, there's no motivation to reinvest in 100s of dollars worth of wrestling toys.

the other reason that wrestling stuff deserved it's own aisle is that in the past, for the most part, there's generally more than one wrestling organization w/ a toy deal, and between them, you have a large cast of regulars... like, if i sat down and named all the guys who wrestle at least once a week on tv, the roster would easily exceed that of the avengers or the justice league "regulars" and by virtue of exposure, and their humanity, it's easier to relate to wrestling than superheroes... such that, how often, in your play days, did your guys, superheroes or whatever, use wrestling moves on each other? wrestling is a fundamental part of how we think about physical combat. no escaping it, it's a part of the collective unconscious of strife and confrontation. so the guys who partake in this activity, no matter it's scripted nature or not, are like our id cast in live flesh. there's no denying the appeal. you get to see these big huge bruisers, using one of the oldest forms of hand to hand combat, working out these bizarre and convoluted hero story. every week is a new challenge, a new test of the face's virtue and the heel's cunning. it's primal soap opera my man.

and now we have MMA toys... i'm still not sure about that. i think the sport doesn't have the kind of social penetration it needs to make action figures a go. figures are primarily a kid's medium, and these look and function like a kid's toy... so being essentially an adult's medium (mma, i mean) i think they face an uphill battle to sell these things. lord knows i've passed over several of them because the collector in me is holding the line up to a standard they aren't hitting for collector's toys. i'm not settling on these things anymore, not w/ the lack of pack-ins. if all you're selling me is the figure, it better be perfect... and guys like forrest griffin, evan tanner, rashad evans, houston alexander, these guys are guys i was VERY much looking forward to, but the figure came out looking like ass (i.e. not like the fighter they were modeled on) and where jakks could get around that in wwe figs by giving me a good accessory or two, the UFC line doesn't have that fall back on. so only the perfect figs come home w/ pappy. so like skip on mark coleman, but i fully intend on snagging kimbo slice and likely wanderlei silva as well. and when/if i acquire the quiton rampage jackson, i'll be treating him as the hero i remember, rather than the douche he's become.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:44 am

guess what i saw last night? a commercial... on TV... about the jakks UFC figures! who'd thunk it? not only that, but they did it the right way, they stop motioned the toys fighting the fights and celebrating afterward!! and it looked GREAT!! the production value was a little low, but the commercial got me right in my old black heart. it was GREAT! now, they just need to air it during UFC programming!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:22 pm

dayraven wrote: now, they just need to air it during UFC programming!

They do, they air it during the countdown to 118 on spike.
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:17 pm

I miss toy commercials.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Ebonhorn wrote:
dayraven wrote: now, they just need to air it during UFC programming!

They do, they air it during the countdown to 118 on spike.

ah, i saw it during TNA wrestling.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Next

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion