Thundercats Ho!

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Thundercats Ho!

Postby AdventureVault » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:07 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THUNDERCATS, HO!

WARNER BROS. ANIMATION ANSWERS THE CALL WITH A NEW

TAKE ON THE CLASSIC ANIMATED SERIES “THUNDERCATS,”

TO AIR ON CARTOON NETWORK

(June 3, 2010 – Burbank, CA) – Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) has begun production on “ThunderCats,” an all-new animated series for Cartoon Network, based upon the iconic 1980s action classic. “ThunderCats” is the newest series from WBA, joining “Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” which was recently renewed for a third season, and the following forthcoming programs: “The Looney Tunes Show,” “MAD,” “Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated” and “Young Justice.” The announcement was made today by Sam Register, Executive Vice President, Creative Affairs, Warner Bros. Animation.

“In addition to being Warner Bros. Animation’s first anime series, ‘ThunderCats’ marks our most ambitious foray yet into fantasy,” said Register. “The realism and dynamic visual style we’ve achieved are sure to thrill viewers, and the cool weapons, vehicles and technology should help the show appeal to a diverse audience.”

The 21st century reimagining of the series marks a creative collaboration between WBA and Studio4°C, one of the most vibrant animation studios in Japan, with credits including “The Animatrix,” “Gotham Knights” and “Halo Legends.” WBA is working closely with Studio4°C, utilizing the latter’s expertise to give the “ThunderCats” characters a new cutting-edge look while remaining true to the compelling storylines and mythology of the original series.

“We at Studio4°C are excited to be in this creative partnership with Warner Bros. Animation to bring ‘ThunderCats’ to life,” said Eiko Tanaka, President and CEO, Studio4°C. “This collaboration combines the strengths of our two companies – high production values and great storytelling – toward reintroducing this classic fan-favorite to a new audience.”

Roaring to life through WBA and Studio4°C’s use of the Japanese animated artistry of anime, “ThunderCats” characters Lion-O, Mumm-Ra, Panthro, Cheetara and others will spring off the screen with realistic cat-like characteristics inconceivable in previous incarnations.

The new “ThunderCats” will appeal to viewers who have loved the characters all their lives as well as young newcomers to the franchise. A sweeping tale combining swords and science and boasting ferocious battles with the highest of stakes, the grand origin story of Prince Lion-O’s ascension to the throne – and of those who would thwart his destiny at any cost – takes on epic dimensions in this sharp new telling. As the forces of good and evil battle each other in the quest for the fabled Stones of Power, Lion-O and his champions learn valuable lessons of loyalty, honor and mortality in every episode.

“ThunderCats” is executive produced by Sam Register (“Teen Titans,” “Ben 10,” “Batman: The Brave and the Bold”). Michael Jelenic (“Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” “Wonder Woman”) and Ethan Spaulding (“Avatar: The Last Airbender”) are the producers.
You now possess Dracula's Wallet.
AdventureVault
Admoderal
Admoderal

Re: The "Catch-All" Toy Thread v2

Postby Ebonhorn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:20 am

Raise your hand if you want awesome thundercats toys?

Well you can put them down now and cut your arm off, cause you're not going to get them

http://www.poeghostal.com/2010/06/thund ... andai.html
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:38 am

:lol:

I can't really think of the last Bandai toy I bought.

I won't cut off my arm just yet, I'll wait to see some pics first. [domo]
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby Ebonhorn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:43 am

Lay Ze-Man wrote:I won't cut off my arm just yet, I'll wait to see some pics first. [domo]

I'm going to go with my gut and visual memory bank of all bandai products and give it an immediate pass.
Ebonhorn

Postby dayraven » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:11 am

Ebonhorn wrote:
Lay Ze-Man wrote:I won't cut off my arm just yet, I'll wait to see some pics first. [domo]

I'm going to go with my gut and visual memory bank of all bandai products and give it an immediate pass.

ever bought a SIC?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ebonhorn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:13 am

dayraven wrote:ever bought a SIC?

Yeah I have, but those come from a company called Bandai Japan. Bandai America isn't that company.
Ebonhorn

Postby dayraven » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:22 am

touche, the t-cats did indeed go to bandai america... still, bandai CAN do good work... historically though, they have not.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:36 am

Well, they'd better bring as much A-game as possible, because there's not THAT much nostalgia crazy goin' on for TC for the collector market to line up and buy crap.

Not with the 4H stuff, NECA stuff, HT, 3A and everything else competing for their dollar.

They might get kiddies with crap based on the toon series, but anything Classic is gonna have to be GOOD or it won't sell to anyone but the diehards.
Lay Ze-Man

Postby Tekwych » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 pm

I think every one is reading more into these press releases than is actually there.

First, the show: 4C is the company behind Animatrix and Batman: Gotham Nights, 2 films that have a strong stylistic impression but leave a lot to be desired in story. The artwork shown suggests that the studio is re-imaging the series in a far better way than WB had but there will be a lot of pressure on the producers and show runner to gives us writing in line with B:B&B, Ben 10 Avatar and Wonder Woman (the other shows they have worked on).

Second, the network: CN has given us B:B&B and MoTU 200x but they will gear the show to kids first and adults second. If the kids don't buy in then its gone, regardless of what adults want. Reading some of what has been released ("The Cats have grown up", "The origin of Lion-O", "More Feline than Ever") tells me that, for the most part, the original series is being left behind. This will be a new myth, anew story. There has not been word one of Third Earth, in fact they suggest that Lion-O's kingdom is intact and he must assume his thrown and hold it against "those who would thwart his destiny". No where does it give us Mum-Ra or Mutants.

Third, Bandai US. BanDai US, Not the Japanese company that makes cool collector figures, the US company with their eyes firmly on kids. This is not a surprise to me at all. Disney had dropped their support of Power Rangers and it was thought that the series, and its toys, were over. Bandai needed a new tent pole to hold its place in toy isles and WB was pushing this new line forward. Mattel, Hasbro, and even Playmates had been burned by WBs over expectations for this line and would not go near it. Jakks is not in a position to pick up something like this at this time and there really isn't anyone else that could give WB a kid-centric figure line with a near garnered presence on mass market toy shelves.

Forth, The Classic line. Completely made up by collectors and press coverage. No where does WB, 4C, or Bandai ever suggest there will be any thing to reference the classic series or collectors. These will be toys for kids and collectors can take them or leave them. The companies don't care, as far as they're concerned we have statues and Stactions to fill our needs. Even when Bandai did offer 'collector' merchandise for Power Rangers it was over 10 years into the line.

All of that said I think the idea of Thundercats can be revised for the modern era. I think a company like 4C is the best choice for a more Feline / Science Fantasy take on these characters. I think Sam Register, Michael Jelenic, and Ethan Spaulding will offer great guidance to the series provided they can get the right writers. I know Bandai is willing to step out with a full cast of characters, vehicles, playlets and more with no hesitation, something you would not see form most toy companies.

I am surprised by some of the principles in these announcements and I am looking forward to what they put together. I do have reservations but I am certainly not looking for as much as some people seam to be expecting.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Tek, I think people are reading this part:

Under the new agreement, Bandai and their international affiliates will create and distribute products worldwide that will complement both the classic brand property, as well as Cartoon Network’s fresh take on the animated series, with new television episodes set to air in 2011.

And assuming there could be different styles.

The wording certainly suggests as much.
Lay Ze-Man

Next

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion