The "Catch-All" Toy Thread v2

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: The "Catch-All" Toy Thread v2

Postby Ebonhorn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:04 pm

If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby dayraven » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 pm

i know some folks around here are in the dark about this cat... no problem, scarabus was the winner of the fantastic exclusive vote process wayy... back in 2007 and he's just now apparently getting around to be being produced after some issues arose over shizash at 4H studios (the Ramathorr Debacle really set them back, as Debacles go.)

i for one am as excited as a guy can get for a figure that should have been made three years ago now.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:01 pm

here, this seems a more appropo locale...

i have always wondered why RPGs, either in tabletop or computer form, don't get mined more often for pop culture carry over? for example, guys of our age generally fondly remember the short lived D&D cartoon, right? so why not turn to D&D instead of a Ben 10 or a Generator Rex, when tapping ito the youth market? D&D has TONS of characters they could follow develop, a cohesive world to function in (several actually) and a set mechanic for how things work, there's no testing the waters on new ideas, you know you have a built-in generational market to sell to, etc... how is this not easier than giving TMNT one more chance to fail? nick acquired TMNT at great expense, and they're having to develop an entirely new concept to try to reinvigorate the franchise, when D&D has sold well consistently since the 70's. was GI Joe resolute fun? sure. would i love an adult themed Warhammer 40K cartoon series, say on adult swim? i'd murder my mother for one! that franchise makes Halo looks like kid's stuff, and has been around, selling very well, for twice as long. why not mine that for new media?

ebon can correct me on this, but i beleive i vaguely recall a short comic book run for them, but i know for a fact if it was, it wasn't well advertised, especially in gaming circles. was there a regular series or just graphic novels big guy?

i do know though that warhammer has been the subject of a virtual crapton of novelizations, that (of the ones i've read) were quite good to excellent. again, it proves the franchise has power beyond the gaming table. if y'all saw some of the miniatures and the art that goes into the warhammer books, you'd seriously start snuffing the old and weak to get your hands on proper toys of them. rifts too, while enormously overdone, has some of the insanest art work/character types you can imagine and would translate well to screen and action figure concept.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:11 pm

I think anything that makes for cool toys should be done!

Crazy, I know, but it seems like "cool toy" is kind of low down on the list for a lot of stuff.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:11 am

LOL. I don't know how I feel about cool toys for cool toys sake anymore. Vault spends a LOT of money and I cower at the thought of what I was doing when I had a ton of disposable income...
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:28 pm

i have a question for all my fellow Trueglodites... why are female figures so damned hard to get right? like for example, if we were doing a "best of" list, and you asked me, "best sculpt" i could easily rattle off my top fives figs i own, and also the top five i wish i could, no problem... if you asked "best articulation" i could likewise rattle names off. etc, etc. for almost every grading category you could rate a toy on... and my top five list would include not a single female figure. not one.

now, i LOVE a well executed chick figure. love my women, love movie women, love comic women, love anime women... but getting one fig that showcases all the combined traits of a good figure, it just doesn't happen. like you'll get a female figure like anne o brien from the LCBH set, who has a banging booty, great legs, and good range of motion in most joints.. but she also has open hands w/ odd wrist articulation, and from the side, her face looks like marv's. the HML psylocke, again, strange hand thing, odd articulation scheme, doesn't really resemble psylocke much, and the paint is kind of shoddy (not to mention her costume should show some kind of texture to illustrate that it's not her skin... that vexes me when they paint on a material that should be a sculpted detail) and let's face it, some of the absolute lowest points in some of the great hallmark toy lines were chicks... marvel legends turned in two of the worst figs ever in diaper white queen, and that abysmal scarlet witch.
WHY??

i don't get why women are so elusive. even the 4 horsemen, who usually excel at doing what other toy lines fail terribly at, the queen's council were good figures, and there were no dogs (no cat jokes please), BUT the body suits and the fur all lacked the horsemen's trademark textural work that made previous fan ex figs such instant classics. the weapons were criminally brittle while the limbs were a little jelly... so still, better than the average by a huge margin, but far from perfect figs.

so my question is twofold: why are great female figures so hard to do, AND does anyone think there's a great one out there that i may have missed?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Toygiant » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Well I'll play caviat a little. The female form is extremely hard to get functioning articulation into and maintain all those curves that make the female form so appealing (not withstanding weird wrists or bad portrait sculpts). It mostly boils down to the restrictions of material tolerance and engineering as opposed to sculpture (and of course, raw material price dictates all in the big picture). I have to give big props to Hasbro for executing the Marvel Universe females as well as they have, being that they are really poseable and didn't lose much in the shape department. As well as being very small and pretty affordable. When it comes to 3 3/4 scale, Hasbro is just plain unmatched.

As far as anything you've missed DR, I think there really hasn't been much to miss. Maybe some import figures? But I think the ones that had potential to be great but have come up way short are Mattel's WWE females. They just don't stack up to what Jakks had going on (that goes for the entire new WWE line in my oppinion). They're not terrible, but they should have been an improvment instead of a step back.
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:24 pm

oh god yes... i bought one mattel wwe chick, the beth phoenix fig, and i will say, i think she's an improvement over the dcuc females (in materials, at least) she's far from great... and yes, a notch of two backwards from the jakks wwe girls... except i do like the mattel hip articulation on the girls... BUT then jakks upped the ante w/ the TNA deluxe knockouts, the first of whom, velvet sky, is out, though i haven't found her yet... if she proves half as promising as i suspect she is, i may own four or five of her before i'm done...

to get back to what you were saying though TG, i completely see your point here. i have no doubt females are tough. but as you pointed out, the japanese can usually get attractive looking girls, if you like the anime aesthetic... for some collectors though, they're too too sexualized (not me, just parroting some complaints i've heard) and for me, i've never gotten an import that felt solid. like, i hold my HML she'-hulk, and that's a TOY, i hold my revoltechs and they feel like posable statues completely out of the realm of "play" and that she-hulk... MAN they got close to perfection! the lack of waist swivel, open hands, and odd RoM for the hips took would could have been the ultimate female figure and slapped her out of the running... but man was she close! i still content that might be the prettiest female head of any american toy ever.... maybe... the queen's council has some lookers though... isadorra has likely my closest next contender for prettiest female face. (pretty in a dangerous sense, anyhow.)
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:55 pm

I don't give the wrestling figures more than a passing glance, but the women I usually see are ugly figures - at least the head sculpts. I'm sure I've missed a few gems, but I wouldn't think about them immediately when thinking of good female figures.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:59 pm

I have money diarrhea!!

Last night I ordered...

MOTU 2pks from TRU Online
Black Gobon & Bubblegum Sarvos from Onell
Tools of the Master Strategist & a Golden Royal Shield from SMC

Then, today in my e-mail I see that

GLC Wave 1 has shipped from BBTS

Then I found these in my mail this afternoon...

Second King Grayskull for custom purposes
Poe's Sword of the Ages

And I went out toy shopping to find...

Lego Minifigures Series III (just bought the 5 I wanted tho)
TF Tracks (passed on Jazz for now cause they were $14)

Anyway... :dead:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion