The "Catch-All" Toy Thread v2

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: The "Catch-All" Toy Thread v2

Postby dayraven » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:48 am

Toygiant wrote:Basically it's the materials the MotUC figs are made of. The softer PVCs (which are dirt cheap to use in production) tend to not bounce back after a while. As where more rigid plastics can stand up to more play (or abuse). I've noticed that if I leave a MotUC figure in a pose, say, over night, once I make him prone he's a little floppity for a bit. It's still bouncing back now, but it'll start to effect the cell integrity of the PVC after time.

And never, EVER, be ashamed for admiting to playing with your toys. That's yer dad talking. [domo]

is there anything that can be done to tighten up the cell integrity? like, i know in the short term, the superglue trick works great for tightening up a joint... but in the long term, that's just going to create a brittle strata over the softer PVC core, right? so it's probably not a great fix if you intend to have the fig for 20 or 30 years. i've used plasti-dip on the pegs of a few figs (the SOTA e honda comes to mind) and that's certainly tightened things up, but i have no idea how that product holds up over time or how much wear that can handle... or if it interacts w/ the PVC the fig is made of. but in theory, as it wears, it'll just rip off of the peg/ball it was on, and could be rubbed off and replaced... so at least for peg & post joints, it seems like a better fix... but i don't know my resins like you guys do. any suggestions TG?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Sometimes I feel like there's going to be an 80yr old dude out there and all his 21st century toys will have disintegrated, leaving him with a dusty 80s collection. :lol:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Toygiant » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:40 pm

dayraven wrote:is there anything that can be done to tighten up the cell integrity? like, i know in the short term, the superglue trick works great for tightening up a joint... but in the long term, that's just going to create a brittle strata over the softer PVC core, right? so it's probably not a great fix if you intend to have the fig for 20 or 30 years. i've used plasti-dip on the pegs of a few figs (the SOTA e honda comes to mind) and that's certainly tightened things up, but i have no idea how that product holds up over time or how much wear that can handle... or if it interacts w/ the PVC the fig is made of. but in theory, as it wears, it'll just rip off of the peg/ball it was on, and could be rubbed off and replaced... so at least for peg & post joints, it seems like a better fix... but i don't know my resins like you guys do. any suggestions TG?

You know, action figure restoration might be a profitable thing someday. But right now, there's so much R&D that'd have to be performed that it'd wont be feesable for some time.

I'm really not sure of a fix for loose joints on the more PVC'e type stuff honestly. PVC can be a fikkle bitch sometimes, not sure how it will react to some chemicals. And for how much MotUC figures are, I'm not really willing to take the risk (at this time anyway). And I'd definatly not recomend the super-glue trick. Like you said, it'll just soak into the first few layers of PVC cells and solidify. Then you'll have a crumbly mess after a while. I might try the plasti-dip thing with things like the bicept swivel, heat up the part & pop 'em apart, put the dip in the female end of the socket (just a mynute drop), spread it around a bit, let it set up, and re-assemble. Might be worth a shot.
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:53 pm

when i used it on honda's ball chest, i make the male end a plasti dip prophylactic and warmed the socket before popping it back on. so far, so good.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:06 pm

ok, so another question for you learned men of toys... what's the deal w/ the sideshow environments? they are marketing these as 1/12 dio pieces, but CLEARLY they're not. even he-man is a tad tall, these are more like 1/18th scale dios... so why the deceptive marketing? is this a ruse to jack up the cost? and why the hell are these so expensive, we can't find a slightly cheaper resin? or maybe a foam core w/ resin plates covering? that would lighten the package for shipping to, right? what's the deal guys, cuz to my admittedly amateur eye, they look WAY overpriced for what you're getting. WAY overpriced. and i don't buy the "well they're limited" excuse for the pricetag, cuz they also aren't licensed, they're not articulated, etc... they're pretty than the figma diostage, but far less functional. these look like the kind of enviro piece you can score at any new age book store for between 15 and 20 bucks.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Is it a materials thing? I mean, I know they're overpriced, but I've always thought they were made of a nicer material.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Tekwych » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:06 pm

This is a very impressive article that looks at Lego moving in on 'Hasbro's Family game market but the are a lot of interesting facts all through.

In 2009, Hasbro controlled approximately 75 percent of the U.S. Action Figure category and about 60 percent of the Games and Puzzles category. Mattel controlled some 50 percent of the Infant/Preschool space and Lego an approximate 80 percent of the U.S. Building Sets category.

U.S. Market Share:
Games and Puzzles Category (all channels):
Lego: 2% Hasbro: 60%

Games and Puzzles Category (online only):
Lego: 12.4% Hasbro: 45.1%

My Favorite is that while Hasbro's 'units' of shelving for games at WM, Target, and TRU has gone from over 30 to less than 15 in the last year Lego's 'units' have gone from 0 to over 10 in the same time frame.

Check out Lego Toys With Hasbro’s U.S. Games Monopoly
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Toygiant » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Yeah, I saw a commercial the other day for Lego's new board games. They look pretty inovative all around. But I fear they'll be expensive like all Lego toys. (Lego has one of the largest profit mark-ups in toys history. I read somewhere that a mid sized Lego block costs about 1/10th - 1/8th of a cent to produce and sells for close to 4-5 cents. That's a huge mark-up when your selling hundreds of millions of those little things.)

Hasbro isn' letting up on their new product either. I went to Target for the first time since their 3rd quarter/back-to-school re-set and good lord, it looked like a Hasbro factory threw up in every aisle! There are the lastest additions to current lines and a bunch of new toy lines, everywhere!

I'm really looking forward to some Hasbro Investor Day coverage in October. I'm hoping they'll be making a "buggy" announcement. :cool:
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby Tekwych » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:02 am

Toygiant wrote:i'm really looking forward to some Hasbro Investor Day coverage in October. I'm hoping they'll be making a "buggy" announcement. :cool:

Or something "Micro" but I don't expect word one on either until ToyFair. I have a feeling both will be summer additions on the Hub
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Ghost from Dark Horse by Triad - this is a must have figure for me. She will look great along side my Cool Girls.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion