It's the Busness of toys

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: It's the Busness of toys

Postby dayraven » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:45 pm

exactly, but i'm saying, i think you'll see that experience grow exponentially, like shopping at costco, only in bigger warehouses, with more goods available. this is what retail will resort to for consumer goods, where there's no element of the service experience that makes a real difference in sales outcomes. so for those in school right now, i'd advocate at the top of my lungs "economics or hospitality!" hospitality is going to be huge in the next generation, and it is the experience that online can't touch. amazon might be able to sell me a centrifugal juicer cheaper than anyone out there, but they can't exfoliate my feet with little fishes. goods that are provided with a service twist will also be viable as stand alone stores, so like, if you're going a coffee, but buying it from a service/goods provider like starbucks, they will be fine. but yes, online is going to gut the standalone merchant. what you'll have left is mom and pop shops making artisanal goods, and nothing between them and the huge warehouses. at least for a while...

i think the future of mass consumables will take a turn in the next couple decades, when people begin to weary of the planned obsolescence extortion scheme. [smile] cuz that worm will turn too, in my lifetime, but it's not there yet... a few billion tons of more garbage though, that'll do the job. on a local level, that's already happening, farmers markets are coming back, people are turning to artisanal craftsmen for furniture and other non perishable items because they want the kind of comfy home they remember at their grandmothers house. i suspect that as cheap consumables struggle with cost issues to stay cheap, the difference even a few dollars costs you between entry cost of a good and an artisanal product will be paltry and we'll see a market trend towards the better quality. but we'll see, one never knows what the future holds for sure, we can only look around and see what we see, guess at why, and try to figure out if it will continue.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:31 pm

Absolutely…

You really hit the nail on the head in your second paragraph.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:25 pm

NECA to Acquire Retailer Hastings

So one man will own NECA, Wizkids, Graceland, Hastings and more. A pop culture superstore owned by a toy company. Reminds me Lionel's Kiddie City. The article is quite interesting if your into who owns what.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:18 pm

that's cool as balls! man i miss having a hastings... in dodge, it was pretty much it for entertainment, but man, they had everything, and could easily order just about anything that wasn't already in stock, music, toys, RPG books, whatevs... for a young geek, just ahead of the internet, hastings was the bomb source for supplies. it was were the ICP came from, where all the troma movies got rented, and were the whitewolf books were on the shelf. and now, home to all the bomb NECA stuff (which lately, man, they're becoming their own cottage industry over there... how long till they're making movies and video games in house?)
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:49 am

Very neat! Too bad the closest store is about 13 hours away from me...
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:43 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/1 ... f=business

you know, i hate beating the drum to death... but it's time for mattel to get forward thinking with some of their properties. he-man is RIPE for something along the lines of a skylanders kid's game, but that also breeds a new generation of fans, who will grow w/ he-man and can be presented with more traditional video games, toys, and other merch, and it lacks the upfront cost of a licensed property.

barbie too needs some innovation. i still think digitial tie-ins are the way to go, you buy the barbie doll, and every toy comes w/ an online closet code that lets you access the items and interact w/ fans, create new combinations of traits to share w/ barbie heads around the globe... but you have to buy the toy to get the clothing code. [smile]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:20 pm

First Quarter Highlights

Worldwide net sales down 5%;
North American Region1 gross sales down 2% and International Region gross sales down 7%;
Worldwide gross sales by core brands: Barbie® down 14%; Hot Wheels® up 2%; Fisher-Price® down 6% and American Girl® up 5%;
Gross margin decreased 330 basis points of net sales; SG&A increased 350 basis points of net sales, including an incremental severance expense of $16 million;
Operating income of $61.2 million compared to operating income of $65.8 million in the first quarter of 2013; and
Loss per share of $0.03 vs. prior year earnings per share of $0.11.
Capital Deployment

Board declared 2014 second quarter cash dividend of $0.38 per share, reflecting an annualized dividend of $1.52 per share; and
The Company repurchased 736,000 shares of its common stock during the first quarter at a cost of approximately $28 million.
For the quarter, net sales were $946.2 million, down 5% compared to $995.6 million last year

They did buy MegaBloks and become second in the building toy category behind Lego but its the whole industry. Hasbro numbers are down as well. Take a serious look at any B&M retailer and you will find fewer isles dedicated to toys. Even Wallgreens, which used to have a full isle (two side) of toys now stocks half of on side.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 am

First quarter 2014 revenues grew 2% to $679.5 million; International segment revenues up 5% and Entertainment and Licensing increased 13%;
Franchise Brand revenues grew 15%; Girls category up 21%; Boys category up 2%;
Adjusted operating profit increased 10% and adjusted net earnings increased to $18.6 million or $0.14 per diluted share, excluding favorable tax adjustments in both periods and restructuring and related pension charges in 2013;
Generated $242.0 million in operating cash flow;
Repurchased 1.5 million shares of common stock at a total cost of $80.5 million and an average price of $54.36 per share.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Tekwych wrote:First quarter 2014 revenues grew 2% to $679.5 million; International segment revenues up 5% and Entertainment and Licensing increased 13%;
Franchise Brand revenues grew 15%; Girls category up 21%; Boys category up 2%;
Adjusted operating profit increased 10% and adjusted net earnings increased to $18.6 million or $0.14 per diluted share, excluding favorable tax adjustments in both periods and restructuring and related pension charges in 2013;
Generated $242.0 million in operating cash flow;
Repurchased 1.5 million shares of common stock at a total cost of $80.5 million and an average price of $54.36 per share.

whose earnings are you talking about here tek?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Sorry, that was Hasbro
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion