It's the Busness of toys

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: It's the Busness of toys

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Leo is indeed generally DiCRAPrio, but he's well cast and does well in Django.
(Caught part of J. Edgar on TV and he's stupid bad in that! :lol: )

But yes, it is indeed just a movie, with little regard to historical accuracy (hello, it's a Tarantino flick) and Django is the freaking hero of the story!

I mean, if these were "talking" dolls and they said potentially offensive lines from the movie that would be different, but most of the criticism of the movie (and peripheral stuff like these dolls) seems to come from people who haven't even seen the movie, like Spike Lee.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby dayraven » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:18 pm

http://investor.hasbro.com/releasedetai ... eID=735777

so, they were successful, but not as successful as they'd hoped, despite no reasons given to expect better than they got, and they grew profits... but they're still curtailing employees and consolidating cites... must be that damned obamacare. [wtf]

kidding of course, any company sacrificing baseline employees due to "escalating costs" while simulataneously increasing upper echelon pay and bonuses should be rioted upon and have their means of production seized by the people. frakking plutocrats. :-x
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby zedhatch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:06 am

I couldn't help but notice nothing was mentioned officially about the screw ups last year that lead the the 4th quarter releases basically being non-existent. I mean NOTHING was coming out from October-December at all from them. Even what waves did come out didn't make it to the shelf anyway.
Scale Wars an action figure photowebcoic updated Mon-Fri celebrating 3 years in May
zedhatch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:19 am

zedhatch wrote:I couldn't help but notice nothing was mentioned officially about the screw ups last year that lead the the 4th quarter releases basically being non-existent. I mean NOTHING was coming out from October-December at all from them. Even what waves did come out didn't make it to the shelf anyway.

yeah, that was one hell of an omission, wasn't it? "we missed the biggest buying season of the year, sorry 'bout that."

then again, maybe that was part of a great scheme, as mattel dumped a ton of money on some truly crap product for the xmas buying season, while hasbro pretty much coasted on the universally lauded TRU optimus prime and didn't waste time producing toys no one would want. i'm sure too, given the success of the LOTR franchise, that even the bigs were concerned about getting their asses handed to them by the bridge direct this year... little did they know the hobbit stuff was being produced by playmates lite. [smile]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby zedhatch » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:13 am

Well except that the Joe line WAS supposed to be out this christmas (at least two waves). The only reason they got cancelled was Paramount's fears of Avengers after Battleship died (which should have been expected without Avengers being there).

Star Wars had waves but that was the ever present Distro issue that has been around FOR YEARS (but this is the worst I have seen it get).

Avengers had some stuffs in the 4th but it wasn't enough and MU is barely being carried by stores anymore so thiers is barely a blip on the radar (May as well call that an online exclusive since that seems to be the only places you can get them).

It's just a conglomeration of mistakes, bad choices and poor management (and it looks like it will get worse next year with IM3).
Scale Wars an action figure photowebcoic updated Mon-Fri celebrating 3 years in May
zedhatch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Tekwych » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:04 pm

The Strong Museum of Play and the Toy Industry Association (TIA) will share a $4 million state-of-the-art museum installation and have partnered to hold the upcoming TIA Toy Industry Hall of Fame alongside The Strong's National Toy Hall of Fame in Rochester.

Read the whole article here.

If you are ever in the area the Strong Museum of Play is worth a half day for any child or any collector of toys.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:48 pm

Spin Master Acquires 112-Year-Old Toy Company

TORONTO - Spin Master has acquired the 112-year-old toy company, Meccano (known as Erector in the U.S.), to further expand its global portfolio
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 am

Huh. Wonder what direction they'll take the brand, and how they'll try to market it in this modern age? Should be interesting to follow. Thanks, Tek.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:08 am

IDK, with a brand like ERECTor Set, it might be kind of hard to market that in the modern day! ;-)
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:42 pm

PrfktTear wrote:IDK, with a brand like ERECTor Set, it might be kind of hard to market that in the modern day! ;-)

i don't know, that marketing seems pretty straight up and down to me... i don't think it will be hard... it's a long road ahead though... they have to make substantial gains in the marketplace... get big or go home, that kind of thing... they might go purple headed from all the effort... blow out a main vein... maybe they'd calm down if they'd just chuck some yogurt at each other...

ok, i'll stop now. :blink:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion