It's the Busness of toys

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: It's the Busness of toys

Postby dayraven » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:42 am

Tekwych wrote:
Meanwhile inventory of toys at mass merchants looks like it will be down, a lot, for the holiday season this year.  Toy imports, as measured by container volume hitting U.S. ports was down 9% in September vs. the same period a year ago, continuing an eight month trend, as reported by The Journal of Commerce/PIERS.  That’s over 30,000 fewer containers of toys hitting U.S. ports in the first nine months of 2011 than arrived in the first nine months of 2010. 

That's containers, as in tractor trailor loads. The article goes on to suggest that toy isles coul get very empty the week before Christmas with nothing to restock them with.

that makes me sad. kids need toys dammit. this crap that kids all jump immediately to video games i largely blame on the figure industry, who apprently decided to roll over and die rather than innovate to stay competitive. there's a level of interaction w/ a toy that no video game can rival, and many toy concepts don't recognize that. the stupid imported "game toy of the month" crap, like this redakai or whatever that's now on shelves, no one is playing that stupid game. it's a video game concept, only w/ toys... of course that will fail. but mattel is releasing comic book toys for one of the big 2 in comic publishing, and they just had a major event happen that could ignite a new fanbase... and the toys are 5 months behind that event, and as well advertised as the bacon of the month club. right... and people wonder why toys are dead.

i'm telling y'all, glyos... onell cuts a distro deal w/ dollar tree and puts out a buildman or a callgrim for a fiver, w/ a clear and easy link to their webstore, and they'll blow up like coke a cola.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:17 pm

Wouldn't know it by the state of the Wal-Mart I was at yesterday! ^_^

I think in general kids grow up too quickly these days. Its like uncool for 10 and 12 year olds to play with toys...
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:24 pm

I just finished looking through the digital wish books of Walmart, Target and Toys R Us (iPad versions) and Walmart lists Bakugon and Three Batman figures as Action Figures. You can find a few more figures (Cap and GL) in their Movie toys section. Target has no action figures at all and TRU has a Star Wars section and WWE figures but not much else. Highlighted or featured 'toys' in all three books are, as DR points out, all video games and electronics.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Tekwych wrote:I just finished looking through the digital wish books of Walmart, Target and Toys R Us (iPad versions) and Walmart lists Bakugon and Three Batman figures as Action Figures. You can find a few more figures (Cap and GL) in their Movie toys section. Target has no action figures at all and TRU has a Star Wars section and WWE figures but not much else. Highlighted or featured 'toys' in all three books are, as DR points out, all video games and electronics.

the sad thing is, most of those electronics items aren't even that good. like really, what kid is going to scamper downstairs xmas eve, eyes aglow and heart aflutter, and plop down to a politely sized box presented in bright silver wrapping and secured w/ a beautiful metallic red bow, rip into the package and exclaim with joy "Mommy, Mommy, look! My wish came true!! Santa brought me a T-Pain microphone!" seriously...
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:54 am

dayraven wrote:What kid is going to scamper downstairs xmas eve, eyes aglow and heart aflutter, and plop down to a politely sized box presented in bright silver wrapping and secured w/ a beautiful metallic red bow, rip into the package and exclaim with joy "Mommy, Mommy, look! My wish came true!! Santa brought me a T-Pain microphone!" seriously...

THIS KID! ;-)
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:46 pm

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAT), the world’s largest toy company, today announced that Robert A. Eckert, 57, has informed the Board of Directors of his decision to retire as chief executive officer, after 11 years with the Company, effective December 31, 2011. The Board has named Bryan G. Stockton, 58, who has held the position of chief operating officer for the last year, to succeed Mr. Eckert as CEO, effective January 1, 2012. Mr. Eckert has agreed to continue in his role as Chairman of the Board, and the Board has elected Mr. Stockton as a member of the Board, effective January 1, 2012.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... ire-as-ceo
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:26 am

carrying this over from the comments section of the front page article, bit this is something tek and i have discussed before too, that toy production (perhaps all mass production) needs to re-examine their paradigm. the theory used to be "go to china, they work hard, they work dirt cheap, exploit the chinese" but the truth is, the social and economic situation over there is undergoing a westernization and the workers are making demands of the companies, and the government, and they're too numerous to ignore.

good for the chinese, i don't have anything against folks making an honest day's wage for an honest day's work.

but i don't want to have $45 become the norm for a tv shirt either.

there're two answers available: 1) we move production back to the US and get over the huge price hike,
or
2) we find the next diamond in the rough, w/ access to roads and a couple good ports, and we dump a few billion into the local economy and build all new factories and exploit a new work force. there are a ton of african nations who would love to be more than dirt poor, and have coastal access and some rudimentary roads, and best, they speak english already! they would be very easy to mold to what we're looking for, and we could another 50, maybe 60 years out of the "exploit the natives" economic theory.

me personally, i think the answer lies in mexico. mexico has a decent road and telecommunication network, and we have a free trade deal already extant. they have a boatload of usable coastline. they have a massive labor force who are already well known for being willing to work preposterous hours at hard labor for a wage, and we have some folks here in this country who are pissed that the mexicans are coming up illegally to do so... so we move the factories down south, we split the difference and pay them better than what they're getting paid locally now for work in mexico, but less than we pay them to come up here and work. this keeps migrant workers at home, down south, when the nervous white folk won't complain, and the mexicans don't have to leave their families to make a decent living and provide for their loved ones. win-win. many of them speak english already, and the foundation is there to motivate those who don't already. and then the white folks here who are unemployed only have to get off their fat lazy asses and cut their own steaks in the beef packing houses and pick their own damned vegetables off the big farms, etc... and collectively, we pay a little more for them (of course, there are huge chunks of mexico that are essentially desert, so when their making more money once they have some nice blue collar jobs, i think we offset our own high food production costs by selling food surpluses to the mexicans... again, it's a win-win)

it's not perfect, but it's a plan, and more of one than i'm hearing from any of the folks who are currently running for political office. they don't seem to understand, america has lost it's manufacturing base, and if you don't create something, what do you have to sell? a service economy doesn't work if there isn't someone who's accumulated wealth in another sector, and wants to spend that wealth. our future doesn't entirely hang on selling clean energy technology to other countries (especially since we're not on top of that curve now, so how we're going to take the lead in the next decade or two, i just don't know)
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:21 pm

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/21/145564982 ... stern-plot

this is hilarious... so who'd like to bet that iran won't be seizing wind raiders... so once again, wind raider wins.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Wed May 30, 2012 10:46 am

so, not directly related to toys, but an interesting article nonetheless.

http://economywatch.msnbc.msn.com/_news ... vival?lite

basically, it confirms that costs of opening factories here are no longer prohibitive to competition vs using a chinese factory to make things. i hope the toy industry catches on to this and we move production back here to the US. i would love to see onell or 4H studios lead the charge here and open a small factory that caters to boutique toy producers... that would be so incredible in so many ways.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 pm

That would absolutely be amazing.

Imagine the 4H themselves being on the factory floor offering input and some tips on matching the paint masters, etc.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion