How to display - suggestions please

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

How to display - suggestions please

Postby you_will_forget » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 am

Hi all

Sometime in the next month I am re-organising my toy shelves due to a room switcharound. I always struggle a little with how to display everything due to a slightly obsessive personality.

Basically, there are two sets of displays I want to keep out - DCUC and 7th Kingdom. I have 2 shelves available for 7th Kingdom (with the potential for a 3rd, and a small area that can accomodate about 2 Anitherans), 4 for DCUC. I don't use scenery, just risers and stands.

And by risers, I mean books with paper around them ;P

7th Kingdom is pretty simple - I've currently got the Queen's Council and my Mynos (not all yet, but hopefully soon) on one shelf, then the Anitherans on another. Other suggestions are appreciated, but I can't get them all on the one shelf.

The DCUC stuff is the biggest problem. I have pretty much all of them and want to keep them all out. So far I've tried alphabetically, by date order of first appearance (fun with Wikipedia) and by team. The last was the least successful, what with multiple Batmen and Supermen (the Lanterns are a seperate display completely - it was just easier) and individuals belonging to different teams and different eras of the same team. Plus of course big gaps in certain rosters.

I'm currently leaning towards going back to alphabetical order, but what ideas do you guys have?

Suggestions please.

Jo
You can't scare me, my wife is pregnant
you_will_forget
Ensign
Ensign

Re: How to display - suggestions please

Postby dayraven » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:15 am

holy jeez man, you weren't kidding about being slightly obsessive, were you?

i don't know if i can be of much help in this one, i'm the other way around entirely, i love doing battle dios and mixing and matching stuff as much as possible. on my last display shelf (since packed up for an anticipated move... hopefully soon. i hate waiting.), i had a triple h figure driving the sigma six metal mayhem mech against ramathorr who was shielding himself from the gunfire w/ his buster sword, xetheus and the moo crew were fending off the other sigmas to keep that fight fair, and he-man atop battle cat was locked in mortal combat against a pair of fox bots.

pretty basic, i know, but the hope is, when we get settled in the new place, i'll have space enough to begin the dio setups that are the next phase of the hobby for me... ultimately, i want like a model train set-up, only for figures... and filling a whole room. the goal is, as i call it, a dio-rooma. i have some pieces, like castle grayskull and fort kerium that will be integrated into some larger sculpted pieces and zoned out for different factions of dudes, made up of figs from a literal crapton of different properties over the last nearly 30 years of collecting. when i die, you'll find pictures of the room all over the web, as i will definitely need to be hauled out of the dio-rooma. :cool: the wife has only the vaguest idea of how bad this is going to end up, but this has been the plan since i was about 5. she did not alter the plan. like, when you hear some women talk about their dream wedding... i have a dream action figure war. it will happen, oh yes... it will happen. :cool:

that all said, cuz i'm a chatty bastard, i'd recommend for you something more inventive than mere alphabetical order... my suggestion, chose some arbitrary dc figure. make it a favorite villain, least favorite hero, whatever, THEN, on the IAT chatboards, you do a list of all the dc figs you own, and we the IAT contributors, play a little game of "7 degrees of separation," and try to get the figure associated back to the character you chose in as few moves as possible. your display shelves are then coordinated as tiers of separation, so for example, one shelf houses the "within 1 separation" group, the next shelf "2 degrees" and so on. if a particular group ends up being small, they can certainly share shelf space, but the further down the separation degrees they go, the further they must be positioned from the central character you chose. does that in any way help? :?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby twofisted » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Most of the enjoyment i get out of my collection is displaying my stuff. I often change things around. I've never done the alphabetical thing tho. Lately i've been on a "themed" kick. I have every DCUC figure so far and i currently have them laid out in teams. I currently have one shelf with Superfriends and Legion of Doom. I also have others with JSA and Green Lantern characters. If some figures dont fit into any catagory i just put them on my mixed shelves hehe.

Dunno what kind of display units you have...but i'm a huge fan of those collapsable tiered fixtures...used for yer spices or canned goods in yer pantry. I have a bunch of those. Some are expandable, some are clear, some are kinda cool with a diamond plate texture to them. I use those alot to fit as many figures as i can per shelf.

As far as actual display fixtures go....thank Shazam for IKEA!!! Those Billy book cases are cheap and customizable
twofisted
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby you_will_forget » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:31 am

Ah Billy, my faithful friend.

I managed to talk the wife into letting me get the corner set (two full-size shelf units with three half-width units, one on each end and one joining the wider units to make the corner) which just fits into the living room with my comics and roleplay stuff on. Coincidentally, the shelves for the 7th Kingdom stuff are part of this unit as well.

The other shelves are brackets on the wall with a large MDF plank on, with books as risers. I have some ideas to make it a little better, but it's waiting on more money.

The DCUC stuff takes up all 4 of those shelves, packed fairly close, so there's not much space for scenery and dioramas. I've always liked the idea of dioramas, but I kind of struggle when it comes to ideas. And space, obviously.

And Day, it's an interesting idea...

Yeah, I'm going to stick with interesting for now.

Jo
You can't scare me, my wife is pregnant
you_will_forget
Ensign
Ensign

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Curious how the display is looking. I always have a tough time deciding how to display my figures, but usually I have a pattern with it. Like with MOTUC, I almost always have Beastman or Evil-Lyn next to or near Skeletor. I like things to be symmetrical, but I also like the color to balance out... i.e. I wouldn't put all the purple dudes together.

I own a couple detolfs, which are nice. I wish I had picked up a couple more when they were on sale. I also wish they had a fifth shelf, but cest la vie. Currently I have all my Primes grouped together, which is by no means every Prime, but just the ones I own. To try and fit them together I lined 'em up like a class photo, so I've got the tall ones in back, i.e. TFTM Leader Prime, Power Master Prime, MP-01 Prime... then going forward I've got the Classics Prime, TF:A Voy Prime, RID Prime, and so on and so forth...
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:05 am

I went through a phase a bunch of years ago of buying every "Optimus Prime" type character, even got Star Convoy pre-reissue!!!

One of my faves was the Big Convoy from Beast Wars Neo. [smile]

And sadly, I have far too much stuff in boxes at the moment.
Definitely would like a more definitive display thing going on eventually.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 am

I don’t have a huge collection of Primes, if I had to guess I’d say it was about 15-20-ish. For me it’s not about getting every single Prime, (cuz lets face it, it’d be damn near impossible without spending a small fortune) its more about getting the incarnations of the character that I like.

Having them displayed all together looks pretty neat though! =)
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:15 pm

Yeah, I didn't have 'em ALL at the time either, but I was probably around 15. Of course, I think that was around 2000-ish probably, so I didn't have to worry about any MPs, BTs, Alternitys, Bayformers, and the slew of animated stuff that's come out since!
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:35 pm

yeah, I didn't go crazy over the Bayformers. I have the Premium Leader Prime and RoboVision Prime from the first movie, plus the Robot Heroes and [strike]Revoltech[/strike] Robot Replicas.

I don't have many from the Armada/Energon/Cybertron trilogy, I do have one deluxe Armada Prime.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:54 am

Lay Ze-Man wrote:And sadly, I have far too much stuff in boxes at the moment.

I primarily 'display' in boxes anymore... gotta sell that stuff... [domo]
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Next

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion