The Outer Space Men

A forum dedicated to the innovative toy lines of tomorrow. Four Horsemen's Fantastic Exclusive & the Outer Space Men, Onell Design's Glyos, ThreeA, & a host of other Designer/Alternative Toys that you need to tell others about...

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

The Outer Space Men

Postby Tekwych » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:23 pm

FOUR HORSEMEN ACQUIRE THEIR FIRST LICENSED PROPERTY
- THE OUTER SPACE MEN –

Forty-two years ago the space race between the United States and Russia was in full swing, and a full wave of action figures known as “The Outer Space Men” was released that caught the imagination of a generation.

Although the initial salvo of characters was well received, the characters that were to be part of the second wave, collectively referred to as “The World of Tomorrow”, never made it into production and currently only exist as elaborate prototypes / production samples in the homes of a couple of fortunate collectors.

Fast forward to today… Four Horsemen Toy Design Studios have been able to have a hand in the successful re-launches of many of their favorite toy lines from their childhood, but a few of their favorite properties have so far been unobtainable to them – until now.

Collaborating closely with the property’s creator, Mel Birnkrant, the Four Horsemen are proud to announce their first venture into licensed properties - The Outer Space Men!

Already well into production, the first two 3-3/4 inch scaled waves of The Outer Space Men will consist of two characters per wave.

Wave one will be Astro-Nautilus: the Man from Neptune featuring four articulated tentacles and his regal undersea trident; and Inferno: the Flame Man of Mercury wielding his fiery flame blaster and removable helmet!

Wave two will contain Xodiac: the Man from Saturn along with his Saturnian scepter, disintegrator pistol, and removable helmet; and Metamorpho: the Man from Alpha Centauri brandishing his morpho-gun, alpha sensor, and transforming facial features!

The Outer Space Men creator, Mel Birnkrant has given the Four Horsemen full access to all of the OSM archives in order to assure the highest quality and coolest new interpretations of the characters possible, but the collaboration doesn’t end there…

In an effort to re-introduce The Outer Space Men to as wide an audience as possible, new play features have been added into this new version of a classic toy line! Working directly with Matt Doughty, owner of Onell Designs, the Four Horsemen have incorporated Onell Designs’ innovative Glyos joint system into The Outer Space Men, making them almost 100% compatible with all of Onell designs’ releases! The Outer Space Men is something that both the Four Horsemen and Matt have been discussing for years now, and it just seemed like the perfect property in which to incorporate the phenomenal Glyos “fit function”.

As production nears completion, more images and product availability info will be released. The release of The Outer Space Men marks a new approach to action figure production for the Four Horsemen, and more info about this, other announcements and what role the Horsemen’s FANtastic Exclusive venture will play in all of this will come next week.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Re: The Outer Space Men

Postby Tekwych » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:26 pm

Four Horsemen Studios, Onell Design, Mel Birnkrant, 1:18 scale, interchangeable parts. Man this line has EVERYTHING going for it. Pictures can be found at the FAN Ex boards. Hopefully IAT will get the OK to post the press release and photos here very soon.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:42 pm

dammit... i don't need another line to collect right now... but yeah, this one seems to have some impressive stars lining up... we'll see how price point goes, but this thing is going to be hard to resist, isn't it?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby SilntAngl5 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:47 pm

I have never heard of the Outer Space Men... what year were they/their toys/their cartoon/show at their peak? :?
"EVERYONE DESERVES THE CHANCE TO FLY!"Image
SilntAngl5
Captain Mrs. Admirastrator

Postby Tekwych » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:53 pm

SilntAngl5 wrote:I have never heard of the Outer Space Men... what year were they/their toys/their cartoon/show at their peak? :?

Well your Parents might have played with them the last time they were on toy shelves - the 1960s Mel's own website is a great introduction to the original line up. If Noisy hasn't introduced you Onell Design then catch up with my interview at Go! Figure
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Ebonhorn » Sat May 01, 2010 12:47 am

dayraven wrote:dammit... i don't need another line to collect right now... but yeah, this one seems to have some impressive stars lining up... we'll see how price point goes, but this thing is going to be hard to resist, isn't it?

it sure is
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:40 am

Tekwych wrote:Hopefully IAT will get the OK to post the press release and photos here very soon.

RTM & AFI have up news items, so either press releases went out or they grabbed it from the FanEx forum. Either way, I think it's safe to add it to our front page.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sat May 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Pretty unexpected and awesome news all around!!!

Can't wait to see what the customizers do when they get their hands on these!!!

Also, thinking back to those little 8-bit video game animations they do, it would be cool to tie-in the Glyos story to the OSM characters!!

Armodoc vs. Cyclops, or whatever. :cool:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby SilntAngl5 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Tekwych wrote:
SilntAngl5 wrote:I have never heard of the Outer Space Men... what year were they/their toys/their cartoon/show at their peak? :?

Well your Parents might have played with them the last time they were on toy shelves - the 1960s Mel's own website is a great introduction to the original line up. If Noisy hasn't introduced you Onell Design then catch up with my interview at Go! Figure

Heh. My parents were 5 in 1960... so I don't know if they'd have played with them or not.
"EVERYONE DESERVES THE CHANCE TO FLY!"Image
SilntAngl5

Postby Tekwych » Sat May 01, 2010 7:32 pm

1960s - The line ended in 1969 when the US landed on the Moon. I was 4 at the time but remember these figures. (Yes I'm THAT OLD). I bet if you show these to your folks they will at least remember the design and the Major Matt Mason figures as well.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to The Seventh Market: Emerging Toys Forum