"Most Requested" Discussion Thread

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: "Most Requested" Discussion Thread

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:02 pm

The GJ-storytelling you point out almost perfectly describes the opening of Infinite Crisis #1 where he killed off the Freedom Fighters. A storied team with some of it's members having been part of the original in WWII were taken down in five minutes by a bunch of dumb supervillains. Bizarro beat Human Bomb to death. Sinestro unceremoniously shot one beam through Black Condor II's chest. Phantom Lady II was impaled by Deathstroke. And all three of them were strung up on the Washing Monument for kicks. Damage, a great 90s character, was disfigured and ruined as a character only to later be killed by GJ.

Then a new team is formed with a new Phantom Lady, a new Human Bomb, and a new Black Condor. :roll: That book was annoying because it was another "Morrison concepts tackled by another writer" which should never, ever happen. GM can barely contain and focus his own craziness, others shouldn't attempt it for him.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Tekwych » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:44 pm

I totally agree but, in all fairness, we met Uncle Sam for the first time when he came to Earth 2 to recruit a second team. He announces, very quickly, that the first team had all been killed already. It was then revealed that the trip to Earth X would most likely be one way for any who volunteer. The Freedom Fighters were set up as the original Suicide Squad.

The team has not been given their due since the Backup feature of All Star Squadron almost 30 years ago.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 am

Wasn't Uncle Sam's first DC appearance when the JLA/JSA were sent to Earth-X in '73?

I thought the wholesale slaughter of the other Quality Heroes (yes, Ebon, even as a kid I resented the one panel wastes of Miss America, Invisible Hood, Magno, Red Torpedo, and Neon the Unknown :lol: ) was a Roy Thomas retcon? Thomas -there's a guy who couldn't let things go. The funny thing is his work is largely ignored by the return to '78 writers. In fact, I think we're down to only Magno actually dying at Pearl Harbor.

Whenever I see Uncle Sam, I still picture Dick Dillin art. [grin]
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Tekwych » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:51 am

Yeah, I think US did but my first memory of the team 'The Freedom Fighters by DC was ''They're all dead now' If you think about it everything since Flash was brought back in Showcase 4 in 1956 is ret-con. DC has purchased so many other companies, and merged so many characters down to 'One Earth' that their cant be room left for any normals.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:09 pm

LOL I can see it that way mostly, but there was a simple elegance to pre-crisis stuff.

If it were someone besides GJ I might not view it as disdainfully, but I doubt it. It's funny because I do have the "Hal effect" for the Ryan Kendall Black Conder and can't stand the new funky Morrison one.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Ebonhorn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Where as I dig the new funky one....My own personal crabmask!
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:13 pm

LOL In that character's defense, I've had trouble staying up on the modern team. I liked the first mini, and I really enjoy Palmiotti & Gray (MONOLITH!!!!!!) but other writers handling Morrison work is a tough read sometimes. Either they didn't get it, gutted it, or just went a way he wouldn't and it's odd. The gonzo stuff was awkward and I've read up on the others and been confused. It is getting a new ongoing though.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Ebonhorn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:18 pm

Truthfully I only read the palmiotti/gray miniseries. So yeah how they were handled in that series was good. Know idea after that.
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:40 pm

I will prolly skip the new one having just added Secret Avengers, Avengers Prime, and Steve Rogers on the Marvel side. [sweat]

Did you ever read Monolith, btw? It's just twelve issues because comic readers suck! [smile]
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:11 pm

BTW, have we discussed that the stephen king dark tower series needs toys? cuz they MAJOR do!! we'd need at least five different roland's, as he ages and starts falling apart, we have at least two major generations of characters that could be fleshed out, and there's a load of guest appearances of king characters from other books. it'd be fun!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion