Industry Corner

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Industry Corner

Postby dayraven » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:44 pm

I've a little curious on the packaging thing mattel keeps claiming, but i figure this thread could easily contain any kind of industry news.

for our guys in the know, is mattel making their own call on the package size in DCU or is this something the retailers are demanding? personally, i know noisy pointed out that his stores are changing how they shelve these figs, and so it could be something that the stores are requiring... on the other hand, i know there are plenty of industries that do determine their own fate as to packaging... why not toys? personally, i suspect target and wallies are changing how DCU gets shelved in large part due to the preposterous size of the package, not the other way around.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Re: Industry Corner

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:16 pm

My Target had been shelving them for quite awhile before the size change. The Wally shelf planograms started at the beginning of this year. The latest planos though have the DCUCs on pegs and the GLCs on shelves.

I know that we can't trust every single bit of info coming out of Mattel, but there's no reason to doubt the retailers wanted bigger packages. The shelving thing makes sense for me as does the price point going up - we're at the point where the chip bag is half-full right?

I think the bigger crime is that the package size was increased and Mattel didn't/couldn't take advantage of the space. That's what drives me nuts.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby twofisted » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:03 am

In my area it looks like TRU is the only store that still puts the figures on the pegs. Targets and Walmarts are all on the shelves...and down pretty low. Just thinking practically, wouldnt you want your product to be front and center? At least at eye level. Its really ridiculous how big they've made the packaging. You could fit 3 figures in the current packaging. And yer exactly right...with all that room, you'd think they would throw in an accessory in there?
twofisted
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:44 am

NoisyDvL5 wrote:My Target had been shelving them for quite awhile before the size change. The Wally shelf planograms started at the beginning of this year. The latest planos though have the DCUCs on pegs and the GLCs on shelves.

I know that we can't trust every single bit of info coming out of Mattel, but there's no reason to doubt the retailers wanted bigger packages. The shelving thing makes sense for me as does the price point going up - we're at the point where the chip bag is half-full right?

I think the bigger crime is that the package size was increased and Mattel didn't/couldn't take advantage of the space. That's what drives me nuts.

no reason, except that every other goods purveyor on the market determines their own packaging, and the retail agents selling them don't get a say (outside of promotional items) i promise walmart doesn't ask maker's mark to melt wax over the lid, nor does target demand that mountain dew is made available in four bottle sizes alongside two different packouts for cans, dow decides what size my bottles of scrubbing bubbles are, etc... so seeing that mattel has this claim, and that toy package sizing, on the whole, is all over the map scale and materials-wise, i do have strong doubts about the veracity of this claim.

not to mention, which retailer? the assumption would be walmart, but as we've already pointed out here, target, walmart, TRU and kmart use different layout strategies... if walmart is demanding the package size and shape to use for shelf-based display, why hasn't the j hook gone bye-bye? and why the unusual shape? a simple parallelepiped would suffice, no? thinking about this from a business standpoint, why wouldn't the toy boz slimpack be the ideal, from the retail POV? it's still got a fancy logo and is clearly displays the item for sale, but being able to put out more product is good... you can't sell what's not on the shelves. plus, from a stock POV, it's easy to face a shelf of like product.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby twofisted » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:16 pm

hehe makes me think way back to then Mego figures were in solid boxes and the limit of their display was a box tray with a little bit of artwork on it. ahhh those were the days
twofisted
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Tekwych » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:52 am

That's actualy right where things started. Those Mego counter dumps were not used by many chains. They woul stack the figure boxes, laying down, on the shelf with only the characters name on the bottom showing. This was to fit as much stock on a shelf as possible. All toys, in fact all merchandise, was sold off of a shelf.

Woolworth stores asked Mego if there were any way to better display figures and the two companies went on to create pegboard displays and the blister card with J-hook. Woolworth and Mego, together, worked out the card size to best use a 4x8 sheet of pegboard and that basic size has not changed much since the late 1960s

Ever since the retailer association sits down with the toy industry and makes a series of decisions on how merchandise will be displayed for the next year. What price points should be on pegs, what should be shelved. How big a box should be at a certen price point and what a 'standard case pack should be. These are the real meetings that keep Toy Fair thinking they are relevant in the digital era.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion