Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 pm

The movie guys are close enough in size that I can at least live with it. The folks that want RGB repaints of these figures though ? No way! I understand there are real world limitations that some times keep things from being done right, but that would be so far off the mark that it's not worth doing... like if they were to get confused about how old their buyers are and make Mego versions or something... [constipated]

The interesting thing is the need to cancel the subscription. They have to - they're not keeping up their end of the bargain, but why not try to resell a sub for these four? Too embarassing? Not worth the hassle of Digital River? I just wonder - if there is a 2013 line, will they try to sub that?

It also makes me consider the fact that the Mattycollector's success is due in large part to the existence of He-Man.Org, i.e. a centralized, concentrated place for the fanbase to have met up for all these intervening years. Would MOTUC be as popular if the fanbase weren't self-energized? Even DC struggles with that...

Ghostbusters does sorta have that, but the fans of the films might be collectibles buyers and that might extend to action figures - it doesn't necessarily (and it is hard to figure out where to go to talk about Matty GBs, their own forum is probably the most active place - how sad). The cartoon has toy nostalgia going for it, but according to Mattel's tried and true research and polling department less people would buy those than movie items.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby TSR » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:14 am

NoisyDvL5 wrote:The interesting thing is the need to cancel the subscription. They have to - they're not keeping up their end of the bargain, but why not try to resell a sub for these four? Too embarassing? Not worth the hassle of Digital River?

The freedom to fully cancel if these start to perform poorly. That's the only thing I can surmise.

I just want to know why was there never a thermometer to let GB fans know the line was ailing that badly? I hate toy conspiracy theories, but it starts to make those who say the thermometer was always BS and just a means for Mattel to drive DC further sales look correct.

GB is a great line to pick and choose from. I could easily see people wanting some ghosts, but not wanting to be stuck with slimed or marshmellowed main 4 cast. So if it was doing that bad on subscription orders, then it actually needed the thermometer.
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Maybe they just don't want to bother with any new tooling... They'll sell what they can make now but not put a single cent into anything new...
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby TSR » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:00 pm

seems like they should have just flat out canceled Dana then
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:50 pm

I think Dana is kind of useless. IDK. If she's going to be tied to that base, why not just make her a statue then?

Why oh why didn't they ever do the Terror dogs? I'd buy a set of 2 for $30. They'd have made a mint.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby TSR » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:14 pm

If a the standard GBs, all sharing bodies and only having unique heads cost $20 each; no way they were going to sell terror dogs for less than $30 each.
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby TSR » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:39 am

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/mat ... GBSaleNews

Ghostbusters™ Fans,

If you love those boo bustin' boys like we do, then you won't want to miss this chance to scare up all your most-wanted Ghostbusters™ figures. Not only will you be able to fill in missing figures in your collection (or double up on favorites) you'll save big on combined shipping AND get 20% off the regular price*!

Quantities are extremely limited on some items, so for the best selection you'll want to be here right when the sale starts at 9 a.m. PT on Monday, October 17th.

12" Egon Spengler Figure (with trap) Was $60, Now $48
12" Ray Stantz Figure Was $60, Now $48
12” Peter Venkman Figure Was $60, Now $48
12” Winston Zeddemore Figure Was $60, Now $48
8" Retro-Action® The Real Ghostbusters™ Peter Venkman Was $20, Now $16
6" Ray Stantz Figure Was $20, Now $16
6" Winston Zeddemore with Slime Blower Was $20, Now $16
6” Egon Spengler Figure (with PKE Meter) Was $20, Now $16
6” Peter Venkman Figure (with Proton Stream) Was $20, Now $16
6” Walter Peck Figure Was $20, Now $16
6" Vinz Clortho Figure Was $20, Now $16
6" Egon Spengler Figure Was $20, Now $16
6" Peter Venkman (Courtroom) Figure Was $20, Now $16
6" Peter Venkman Figure (with Slimer) Was $20, Now $16
6" Ray Stantz Figure (with Subway Ghost) Was $20, Now $16
Stay Puft Marshmallow Man $70

This special sale starts right along with our regular sale on Monday, October 17th at 9 a.m. Pacific (12 noon Eastern) so you can take advantage of combined shipping. Befitting this spooktacular event, the sale ends on Monday October 31st at 11:59 p.m. Remember, supplies are limited on many of these figures, and when they're gone, that's it, so shop early to make sure you get everything you want.

Want an email reminder? Click here to register and one will magically appear in your inbox. If you're the hunting type, look for them to materialize on Facebook, Twitter and in our Fan Forums.

See you on October 17th!

–Matty

* Stay Puft Marshmallow Man will be sold at the regular price of $70 each.

I'm actually surprised there is a "sale." I thought this was just them reselling stuff, but the figures being discounted is nice. However I expect to see complaints from those who paid full price in the past.

Also, it seems that nothing ever sells out. These can't be new runs if they're discounting the price. So why keep listing things as sold out if there's still this much stock left over???
TSR
Commander
Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:07 am

Very nice. I wonder if the Stay Puft MM will sell out again so quickly. The going rates on eBay seem to have leveled out slightly above Matty’s asking price. I had one in my cart when they originally went on sale, but I just couldn’t bring myself to fire the gun. After seeing all the reviews I was sure I had to have one, and was hoping they’d either go back on sale, or just to pick one up when I had extra cash. However now I’m going back to wondering whether I need him or not.

Anyone who begrudges Mattel for having a sale has their head in the sand. Stores have sales all the time, it’s a way of getting you in the store, enticing you to buy more, moving more product, etc. I guess my qualm is that everything is 20% off except for the Stay Puft MM, but I honestly didn’t expect it either. That said, getting 20% off would really help ease my apprehension about picking him up.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:40 pm

The only mark against Stay-Puft (and this may be a dealbreaker for you) is that he does take damage pretty easily, little impressions and creases if you're not careful with him. I didn't realize that my 12" GI Joe Marine's rifle was butting up against his back side and there's a permanent little pinhole where the rifle was. I'm happy with him as a display piece at the back of my top shelf, so I don't mind the fragile material (too much), but if that's going to bother you, than I'd say no.

Otherwise, I completely love him. He makes me positively giddy and it's completely about how huge he is. Staypuft can bitchslap Unicron and there's nothing he can do about it. It's just silly/dumb how big he is compared to everything else. I haven't been able to review him because I'm not setup for anything that massive.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:14 pm

just reading that makes me kinda excited about him. I'm a little nervous about how fragile he may be. I'm kinda expecting him to be the same kind of texture like one of those spongey stress balls you get at job fairs might be.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion