Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:05 am

HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
User avatar
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...
 
Posts: 3978
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:06 pm
Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby dayraven » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:03 am

i almost felt bad for veebee having to chat that thing up... like "well, it's taller than the other figs... and it looks like if you left an old tb lotr fig out on your dashboard and you lived in dallas... and half the articulation melted together. but it comes w/ a card!! the card is lenticular, like those cereal box things, but in this case, it's cereal box prizing two pieces of movie prop art from the film, so that's cool... and i got it free, so i totally don't feel ripped off."

it's just not a good figure. the likeness is poor, as have been all the likenesses, the suit's texturing is dull and shabby looking, he has no accessories even when some make great sense for him (like oscar), and then he's "saved" as a 20 dollar figure because he comes w/ a lenticular card? are you kidding me? i guess this is one area me being a tool fan makes me sensitive, i've paid 15 bucks for some of the coolest visual tricks going in packaging (including maynard on a lenticular card doing... something which shall not be named) AND i've come away w/ over an hour of top flight musicianship each time that left a lifelong enjoyment imprinted on my soul... so this nifty box around a bogus chap mei figure leaves me more than a tad underwhelmed.

seriously, tell me this doesn't look like the knockoff of a fictional "quality version of vigo?"
Prying open my third eye
User avatar
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast
 
Posts: 6280
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:27 am
Location: the darkest recesses of the primordial human brain

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby Mose » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:03 pm

dayraven wrote:"i almost felt bad for veebee having to chat that thing up... like "well, it's taller than the other figs... and it looks like if you left an old tb lotr fig out on your dashboard and you lived in dallas... and half the articulation melted together. but it comes w/ a card!! the card is lenticular, like those cereal box things, but in this case, it's cereal box prizing two pieces of movie prop art from the film, so that's cool... and i got it free, so i totally don't feel ripped off."

Any site that gets free products will never be considered a review site by me. I just really dislike reading/seeing bias in reviews. PD’s reviews of the classics Thundercats figures is another recent example.

FYI: This isn't intended to be an attack, and if it does come off as that then I apologize. I’m just pointing it out.

dayraven wrote:it's just not a good figure. the likeness is poor, as have been all the likenesses, the suit's texturing is dull and shabby looking, he has no accessories even when some make great sense for him (like oscar), and then he's "saved" as a 20 dollar figure because he comes w/ a lenticular card? are you kidding me? i guess this is one area me being a tool fan makes me sensitive, i've paid 15 bucks for some of the coolest visual tricks going in packaging (including maynard on a lenticular card doing... something which shall not be named) AND i've come away w/ over an hour of top flight musicianship each time that left a lifelong enjoyment imprinted on my soul... so this nifty box around a bogus chap mei figure leaves me more than a tad underwhelmed."

I found that Mattel dropped the ball when it came to Vigo. They missed out on at least a few accessories, like Oscar and maybe some ooze. Any other things from the movie that could have been an accessory that came with Vigo? I'm really curious now.

dayraven wrote:"seriously, tell me this doesn't look like the knockoff of a fictional "quality version of vigo?"

Yup, it does. Is it wrong that I find the mini mates figure more accurate?
"Mose....."
User avatar
Mose
Commander
Commander
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:09 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:15 am

Mose wrote: I just really dislike reading/seeing bias in reviews. PD’s reviews of the classics Thundercats figures is another recent example.


I always worry/wonder would happen if Mattel sent product samples and how I'd handle a bad one. Fortunately, I've been lucky so far and only gotten free product samples from Onell & the Four Horsemen - I don't think you can actually over-praise that stuff. :blush:
User avatar
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:17 am

Vigo won't be getting any Poppies, but I'm not feeling as bad about him as you guys. I need to see him move though - that Fwoosh review took no advantage of the articulation (surprisingly, it's easy to forget some times).
User avatar
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby Tekwych » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:52 pm

So ther rant enough GB fans for a club and we're going to cancel the the Sub. Now that you're not locked into that old pricing we'll announce that we still intend to make the figures and sell them individually but at a higher price.


Now please turn around and bend over for your proper thank you from Mattel
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
User avatar
Tekwych
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby He-Mullet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:54 pm

Damn! That Vigo looks REALLY crappy... With that said, Mattel is killen teh lien... TOO many Busters, too little ghosts. I bought the TRU GB set and put the figs back in the box. No point in having them around if there are no ghosts to bust... (and I ain't interested in buying the guys again and again just to get near staction ghosts)
Logistics... The real reason behind Matty's fairytales. BTW I am a Power-Mullet
User avatar
He-Mullet
Commander
Commander
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Puerto Rico

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Tekwych wrote:So ther rant enough GB fans for a club and we're going to cancel the the Sub. Now that you're not locked into that old pricing we'll announce that we still intend to make the figures and sell them individually but at a higher price.


Now please turn around and bend over for your proper thank you from Mattel


Why? The money we save by not buying Dana can pay for the shipping of the other three! :cool:
User avatar
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby dayraven » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:15 am

they needed to do a host of ghosts, and better than the ghosts we got, in order for this to turn out. they also needed to get the four guys done and round out the core movie casts pronto. like honestly, the four busters should have been sold in 4 pack form only, one purchase and done, then monthly ghosts with accessories for the busters (ghost pack-ins could have included proton streams, traps, and slime, for example). and it would have helped to not rely so heavily on the buck system... these guys were not the same size or build, so treating them that way was kind of dumb, but i think the odd facial executions ruined this for the more devoted fans. the figs came out cartoony, so you felt like you weren't buying "movie" figures... mattel did fine w/ the batman movie masters stuff, making it look like the film, why was that approach not taken on GB? instead, the sculpts are soft and cartoony like a knockoff line. not that cartoony is necessarily bad, especially for the busters, but don't call it a movie line when it's a cartoon line.
Prying open my third eye
User avatar
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast
 
Posts: 6280
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:27 am
Location: the darkest recesses of the primordial human brain

Re: Ecto-Thread: Ghostbusters! (SDCC 2011 News Pg. 18)

Postby PrfktTear » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:28 pm

I haven't bought a GB figure since the standard Venkman w/ Proto Stream was released last November. I have never bought into Club Ecto Cooler, but I'm sad to hear this news.

TG talks about the ghosts that require special tooling and whatnot, why not make a series of ghosts using some sort of buck/interchangable parts system a la Glyos/OSM. I'm sure fans from various properties whether it be GB/MOTUC/DCUC, etc would be more than happy to buy up various spectres, ghouls, and goblines. Though I doubt it'd save the line, I think it'd be cool and would help offset costs...

I'm also happy to hear Stay Puft MM is back on sale again!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:11 pm
Location: Boston, Ma

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Latest Headlines

ItsAllTrue.Net

cron