ToyFair 2011

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: ToyFair 2011

Postby Toygiant » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 am

Anyone get any details on future releases from the Hasbro investor Event friday? All I've been able to dig up is stuff about Transformers.
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:20 pm

it's pleasantly surprising to me that so many "fan requested" items are getting made in the 011. we got the thrashball augustus cole, SP repaint mr freeze, bb teela, starscream skystriker w/ CC holding megatron! who'd a thunk? it's cool. not all of it is coming home (not even close) but it's really wonderful to see even the bigs trying to deliver what we're after. i do wish i had the space & greenbacks to support all of these offerings. at some point here, i'm going to need a summer home for my toys. [wtf]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Toygiant » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 pm

One big factor plays in all of this DR, adult collectors. The biggies are finally realizing that they have about a 2-5 year window for selling action figures to kids, but we, the gen-xers, have been receiving/buying toys for the better part of 3 decades and aren't showing any signs of slowing. The question really arrises of why were they so resistant to marketing directly to us for as long as they were. 'Cause look at the result. Even though the showing in New York this year feels smaller than in the past, the sheer number of winning entries is staggering. IMHO, this is the leanest toy fair in a long time. There wasn't a whole lot of crap shown that I'd say "I'll pass" on and there were even a few things that caught my eye that are generally outside of my collector zone (like that Freddy Kruger with extended arms and the Spider-Gremlin!).

It's really a cool time to be an adult toy collector! :sectaur:
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Toygiant wrote:One big factor plays in all of this DR, adult collectors. The biggies are finally realizing that they have about a 2-5 year window for selling action figures to kids, but we, the gen-xers, have been receiving/buying toys for the better part of 3 decades and aren't showing any signs of slowing. The question really arrises of why were they so resistant to marketing directly to us for as long as they were. 'Cause look at the result. Even though the showing in New York this year feels smaller than in the past, the sheer number of winning entries is staggering. IMHO, this is the leanest toy fair in a long time. There wasn't a whole lot of crap shown that I'd say "I'll pass" on and there were even a few things that caught my eye that are generally outside of my collector zone (like that Freddy Kruger with extended arms and the Spider-Gremlin!).

It's really a cool time to be an adult toy collector! :sectaur:

word, but they have to start working so that they can expand their buying base... marketing to me is great, but i can't afford 100 dollar vehicles and 50 dollars figs as a norm either.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Scissors » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:18 pm

I think the numbers are starting to show that kids today would rather pay (beg, force, cajole or otherwise blackmail their parents to pay) $25 to $40 for a console game than one to two action figures. Hell, they sure get a lot more mileage out of a game! It's the oldtimers like us who are still buying action figures, man! But toy companies should also not think that "adult collectors" automatically equate "deeper pockets", cuz most of us also scrutinize the value of our hard-earned cash a lot more than kids do.
Scissors
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:05 am

I added a few more links to the frontpage article. Nothing to major since the big guns went out over the weekend.

Overall, I think this was a really good Toy Fair. Looks like there is lots of listening in on the toy blogs and forums going on.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:08 am

Scissors wrote:I think the numbers are starting to show that kids today would rather pay (beg, force, cajole or otherwise blackmail their parents to pay) $25 to $40 for a console game than one to two action figures. Hell, they sure get a lot more mileage out of a game! It's the oldtimers like us who are still buying action figures, man! But toy companies should also not think that "adult collectors" automatically equate "deeper pockets", cuz most of us also scrutinize the value of our hard-earned cash a lot more than kids do.

the key to that problem though is marketing... they're not doing anything to highlight to kids why a figure is cooler than a video game... you can't take a video game to the playground, you can't take a video game in the bathtub, and it'd be kind of dumb to carry one to bed w/ you. i use them as a measure of behavior control too, since mine were very young, they were allowed to carry a "road mojo" with them in the car whenever we had errands to run or if we were going on vacation, but the toy is only ostensibly for play in the car... the truth is, the toy is there so if one or both get out of line, i have a recourse. i can't reach them to swat them, BUT i can demand to have their road mojo turned over, and then there's embarrassment and loss to get their behavior back in line to re-earn their mojo back. i know, it's damned machiavellian, BUT my kids don't act out in public ever, and in the car only extremely rarely. how many "video game" kids act like complete tools because parents would rather let them plug in than deal w/ them?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:12 am

Any one remember a little web site call Figures.com? It is no longer in my regular read list but they do have some rather through coverage

http://toyfair2011.figures.com/showgallery.php?cat=504
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Scissors » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:15 am

Oh, no question about that. A lot of "video game" kids tend to be out of control in public, as if they need their "video game fix" to calm them down. But you know, it's the easy solution for a lot of parents - it's just like a quick hit to a junkie and they're completely docile for several hours. If they're luck, the kids might be down for DAYS or WEEKS. No action figure is going to hold a kid's attention like a video game these days.

Still, kudos to you for keeping your kids polite and civil. If only more parents do that...
Scissors
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby dayraven » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:51 am

Tekwych wrote:Any one remember a little web site call Figures.com? It is no longer in my regular read list but they do have some rather through coverage

http://toyfair2011.figures.com/showgallery.php?cat=504

good tip tek, they did a great job! dude, i had completely missed the ami-comi stuff for 011 but figures has some really nice shots... like, i may need some alone time w/ those statues good... yeesh. if i were a statue guy, that line would be at the very top of my must have list.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

PreviousNext

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion