ToyFare and Wizard have shut down

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

ToyFare and Wizard have shut down

Postby Tekwych » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Many sites are posting news that Wizard Press, publishers of Wizard and ToyFare, have fired all staff and ceased publication. If true there would be no February issue of ToyFare and no coverage of ToyFair showcase from New York. There is still no official statement from Wizard Press

AFI has several links about the story.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Re: ToyFare and Wizard have shut down

Postby Ebonhorn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:30 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if this new website they are talking about isn't ready to be rolled out already.
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome
Captain Commander of Awesome

Postby dayraven » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Tekwych wrote:Many sites are posting news that Wizard Press, publishers of Wizard and ToyFare, have fired all staff and ceased publication. If true there would be no February issue of ToyFare and no coverage of ToyFair showcase from New York. There is still no official statement from Wizard Press

AFI has several links about the story.

i think the jury is still out still we get some kind of official word, but it wouldn't surprise me. the mag has shrunk, while advertising in it has increased it's per-page allotment, magazines are dead in the cyber-age. makes you wonder why matty bothered w/ all those "toyfare exclusive sneak peaks" though. TF readership could not be pulling much higher numbers than sites like AFI, Fwoosh & TNI
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 pm

Press release from Wizard World Inc, a public company who, this month, took over the WW convention series:
GAREB SHAMUS UNDERTAKES PUBLIC COMPANY WIZARD WORLD, INC. AND LAUNCHES NEW ONLINE PUBLICATION ‘WIZARD WORLD’

New York, NY (January 24, 2011) – Gareb Shamus, recently appointed President and CEO of public company Wizard World, Inc. (“Wizard World”) (OTC: GOEE.PK), today announced that the Comic Con Tour, which consists of pop culture conference events that provide high visibility marketing opportunities to pop culture brands and companies in multiple venues throughout the year, is now being produced by public company Wizard World. The Wizard World Comic Con Tour intends to cover 12 cities in 2011, including major cities such as New York City, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Austin and New Orleans. The Tour will include sponsors ranging from major movie studios and TV networks to gaming and toy companies to content publishers.

In addition, Wizard World plans to launch in February 2011 an all-new digital magazine called ‘Wizard World’ that will appeal to pop-culture fans, the same audience to which Mr. Shamus has catered to, for over 20 years. Wizard World digital magazine will provide coverage of the world of comic books, toys and superheroes, and the personalities behind them.

“This is a very exciting day for Wizard World and the industries it serves,” said Shamus. “Having the Tour produced by a public company provides additional opportunities to expand and grow the Tour. The new digital magazine Wizard World will give consumers the content they want in a magazine format with which they are familiar, but distributed in a form that is always available at any time on any device. It is a natural evolution for us in this market.”

Wizard World Comic Con will begin its North American tour at New Orleans Comic Con held from January 29 to 30, 2011. The full event schedule can be found at www.wizardworld.com.

About Wizard World:

Wizard World is a producer of pop culture and multimedia conventions across North America that markets movies, TV shows, video games, technology, toys, social networking/gaming platforms, comic books and graphic novels. It has the rights to the names, marks, domains, customer lists and production rights for a portfolio of pop culture and multimedia conventions.

Still no official word from Wizard Press put companies often don't announce their demise.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Toygiant » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:01 pm

No real big surprise. I just read this morning that Playthings magazine was restructured and became a subsection of Giftworld (I think) magazine.

I hate to say this but I think monthly comics will take a dive in the next few years. I think that graphic novels will continue to floorish for a while (until the inevitable $20 eReader is released), but I think outside of small time comic publishers, the biggies will go almost completely digital.

I haven't been to a magazine stand in ages, are Tomart's & Lee's still cranking? Tomart's will always have a special place in my heart as I actually bought the first issue the day it hit news stands/comic shops and it's the only mag yours truely contributed to and got credit for! :sectaur:
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby Tekwych » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:44 pm

It’s truly the end of an era. Nearly 20 years after it burst on the scene in 1991 Wizard magazine and its sister publication ToyFare have ceased publication. A spokesperson for Wizard World PR has confirmed to ICv2 that earlier online reports of the demise of the print and paper incarnations of Wizard and ToyFare were correct. Wizard World, Inc., a newly formed public corporation headed by Wizard magazine founder Gareb Shamus will begin the production of an online Wizard World publication in February as well as continue to manage the full slate of Wizard World Tour conventions. Wizard World’s Jerry Milani told ICv2 that the new online publication “will allow us to reach an even wider audience in a format that is increasingly popular and more widely accessible.”

With its in-issue price guides, its top ten lists, and its annual “Wizard Fan Awards,” Wizard magazine was a major and sometimes controversial player in the comics “boom” of the early 1990s, a heady era when Wizard was so popular that it often outsold all but the very top tier of the comics it covered. Many of those titles and some of the companies that published them didn’t survive the mid-90s implosion of the comics boom, but Wizard did, adding ToyFare to its lineup in 1997, and broadening its focus to encompass a wider swath of the pop culture world in recent years, though attempts to replicate Wizard’s successful format in other categories such as games with InQuest and anime with Anime Insider were abandoned in 2007 (see “Wizard Kills InQuest”) and 2009 (see “Anime Insider Shuts Down”) respectively.

But the current harsh economic climate and the accompanying technological revolution have been particularly hard on the sales of all sorts of periodical publications (see “176 Magazines Close in 2010”), and Wizard founder Gareb Shamus increasingly turned his attention to the acquisition of more Wizard World Comic Con Tour events, most recently adding the Mid-Ohio Con to the company’s growing roster of shows (see “Wizard Acquires Mid-Ohio Con”) that will extend to 12 cities including New York City, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Austin, and New Orleans in 2011.

In a press release issued today Shamus announced that he had been appointed President and Chairman of a public company Wizard World, Inc. 

Filings with the SEC indicate that Shamus took Wizard World public via a reverse merger with a shell company, a failed oil and gas exploration entity known as GoEnergy Inc., which acquired the assets of Kick the Can, the privately-held Nevada corporation that was the corporate repository of the Wizard World Comic Con Tour assets. After the acquisition, the chairman and CFO of GoEnergy resigned and was replaced by Shamus. 

Perhaps the most important aspect of the entire transaction was that the new company was able to raise some capital via the issuance of $1.5 million in preferred stock in the new entity, which was renamed Wizard World, Inc.

It seams that Shamus was as underhanded and shady as ever even in killing off his child and resurrecting it in another guise
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Toygiant » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Yeah, there's a valid reason that ALL of the talent for those publications left and went on to bigger better things a while ago. The way I look at it, I'm still owed a contributor nod and a years worth of mags that were never delivered by that dude. :|
Toygiant
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Toygiant wrote:Yeah, there's a valid reason that ALL of the talent for those publications left and went on to bigger better things a while ago. The way I look at it, I'm still owed a contributor nod and a years worth of mags that were never delivered by that dude. :|

indeed...

that is a crazy underhanded tale man... just crazy. but par for the course for gareb. that dude is either the anti-stan lee, and intent on killing the comics industry... or he's john carter of mars finding new and inventive ways to keep that which he holds dear alive. oh well...

as for the future of comics... the big titles will never go fully digital, or at least, not in our lifetimes, and there'll be plenty of indy comics out there to enjoy well after the "industry" by and large bows out of print. you can't stop the voice of one committed author, digital or no. and of course, you'll get the subversive pirates of the new tech too getting in on the new stuff... fun times ahead, if you're a fan of evolution in progress.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Crazy and sad in a way.

Souns like the online toy news biz-ness could be in a for a shakeup.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Wizard and Toyfare ceases publication!!!!

Postby kingflame81 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 pm

So what now? How does this affect any information that might of come only from Toyfare about DCUC figs?

I'll miss the photos and upcoming info, although I guess you can get the same thing online, but still.......
By the by, Wizard mag kicked ass before going downhill and owning alot of companines $
kingflame81
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Next

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion