It's time for the Poppies and People's Picks!

For all the lines not covered in our themed forums. Think Thundercats, Ghostbusters, Voltron, Wrestling, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, Video Game Licenses, TV & Film Licenses... do I need to go on or did you have it figured out before I even started?

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: It's time for the Poppies and People's Picks!

Postby dayraven » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Tekwych wrote:A lot of the 'flatnes' of this years choices comes from trying to get a concensous from 135 people that do not all see / collect in all these categories. I do not follow vinyl and don't own any Star Wars or Transformers ( well maybe a few) But I do follow Japanese lines, Onell, 4HM, and spend far more time picking over 1:18 scale than I do 1:12. I spend more time on 1:6 than I do 1:12 to be honest. I do push to get things like Onell and the 4HM onto the ballot but you need to get more judges taking a closest look at hints and adding their support. Once the ballot has bee chosen it goes to the people and back to the judges for a final choice. I admit that I did not vote my heart in a few categories as I felt I was throwing my vote away on a 'personal' choice rather than a popular choice.

Bottom line is that you all, as individuals, need to keep that list of judges in mind all year long. Find us on line, find us at cons, find us at our places of work and point out what catches your eyes. Tell us what lines to keep an eye on, what new ideas you truly like so that we are forced to take in a wider array of things throughout the year and make more informed choices when we develop the ballots for next year.

And for the record I did NOT vote for Hit-Girl!!

i know you didn't, and it's why i respect you. [smile]

IDK tek, i certainly see where you're coming from, but we the people don't always know who the judges are, so tracking one down isn't always easy. as for showcasing new or more diverse stuff, again, some onus certainly falls on us to get the judges exposes, but is there some predicate too to consider diversifying the judge pool some? if the judges are the same 135 people year to year, and they vote basically the same 4 companies and same 4 or 5 properties year to year, perhaps it's time to shake things up a bit. i don't mean to sound like i'm harping on one choice, but seriously... hit... girl. have you seen this thing?
http://www.actionfigurepics.com/tag/kick-ass
i have to seriously question the judgement of anyone who thought this was in even the top 5 female figures of the year. even the gi joe women looked better than this. is there are kind of standard, or criteria, for the judges picks, or is it totally left to personal discretion?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:35 pm

http://www.mwctoys.com/poppies_judges_2010.htm

98 of those folk, including me, are original, we have been a judge since the awards began. MWC is looking for more judges in all categories to get that number up to around 200 by 2015. Most of those names have websites associated with them or are well known as forum posters on many sites. When attending a convention walk up to company booths and mention that you noticed that X was a Poppies Judge and you would love to talk about the awards. If you feel there is a collector, a site editor, a scultper or company man that would make a great judge and shake up the ranks then please let MWC know so they can be looked at and approached.

I would love to see more participation amongst the judges throughout the year so that I might get ed-u-ma-ca-ted in vinyl while offering my thoughts on things like Onell. I would love to see the grip build itself into a solid industry support group that represents the modern pop culture industry in a way that the Toy Industry Association used to truly represent it's members.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:29 am

Tekwych wrote:http://www.mwctoys.com/poppies_judges_2010.htm

98 of those folk, including me, are original, we have been a judge since the awards began. MWC is looking for more judges in all categories to get that number up to around 200 by 2015. Most of those names have websites associated with them or are well known as forum posters on many sites. When attending a convention walk up to company booths and mention that you noticed that X was a Poppies Judge and you would love to talk about the awards. If you feel there is a collector, a site editor, a scultper or company man that would make a great judge and shake up the ranks then please let MWC know so they can be looked at and approached.

I would love to see more participation amongst the judges throughout the year so that I might get ed-u-ma-ca-ted in vinyl while offering my thoughts on things like Onell. I would love to see the grip build itself into a solid industry support group that represents the modern pop culture industry in a way that the Toy Industry Association used to truly represent it's members.

and i think that's exactly what the goal should be, get a diverse group on the panel, and have them communicating throughout the year.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:35 am

I dunno, it's all pretty much for fun anyway, isn't it?

I don't think Hit-Girl is gonna be a top seller now just because she was on those lists, for example.

And I think the bigger it gets, the more you will inevitably have the type of reprehensible politicking in the voting the way it has to be for any award that carries financial power or prestige behind it.

Not saying 200 judges is too big, but it also depends on who you're adding.

I mean, someone like CORNBOY is definitely gonna show love to stuff he digs, and not just stuff he worked on. But not everyone in the biz is gonna be that open-minded or gracious.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:41 pm

I didnt' vote for Hitgirl, but I didn't need to. It only took 20 judge's votes to get here past the other contestants.

I don't think there's any problem with the Poppies though. It's that the judges are diversified that lets stuff like this happen - based on what Michael says in the write-up 55 or so of the 135 judges voted for She-Ra & Evil Lyn. 20 to Hit-Girl, leaving the other 60 some odd judges to be scattered among Black Rock Shooter, Donna Troy, Lilah, Little Sister Bioshock, Mom from Futurama, Raven, & Ritsu Tainaka.

If anything, I'd say Hitgirl doing so well is that it's still a weak field overall.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby dayraven » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:20 pm

NoisyDvL5 wrote:I didnt' vote for Hitgirl, but I didn't need to. It only took 20 judge's votes to get here past the other contestants.

I don't think there's any problem with the Poppies though. It's that the judges are diversified that lets stuff like this happen - based on what Michael says in the write-up 55 or so of the 135 judges voted for She-Ra & Evil Lyn. 20 to Hit-Girl, leaving the other 60 some odd judges to be scattered among Black Rock Shooter, Donna Troy, Lilah, Little Sister Bioshock, Mom from Futurama, Raven, & Ritsu Tainaka.

If anything, I'd say Hitgirl doing so well is that it's still a weak field overall.

all i'm saying is, i suspect that way fewer guys saw BRS than hit girl, hence why she got more votes... the power of the toy to elicit a positive response is not what this speaks to. i do think exposure is more the issue, remember, not everyone in the business nice a nice diverse collection respresentative of what the industry as a whole has to offer. and they do't all surf the web ad infinitum either. but most telling is, i suspect, that mr crawford has toys nominated in a year that he himself didn't review... and while i don't expect him to review every toy, surely we should be able to find reviews for every figure nominated w/ a little research. and like i had pointed out at the beginning of the thing, the first pic he had linked to BRS's name wasn't even the right product. to me, that pretty much ensured the fig's failure at the vote booth.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Previous

Return to ItsAllTrue General Toy Discussion